Diesel cab heater

1. Kayos

Kayos Member

Now you are just rubbing it in

2. Ashley Burton

Ashley Burton Member

Always the way with anything seasonal related I find

3. wookie Member

I'm firmly in the "tight bunch" but personally I'd spent the extra and get a Webasto or Eberspacher. Whilst they are a fairly simple bit of kit for peace of mind if nothing else I'd only be happy with a properly engineered heater and not some Chinese knockoff.

owas likes this.
  4. owas

owas Member

I love my webasto air heater in the 110,
    It's got a 'fume curtain' on the bulkhead, military insulation on the roof and sides and a full moulded thick rubber matting, it gets uncomfortably hot quickly :D
    Those plug in heated seat things work well too.

Does remind me I need to chase the repair place, gave it in for a service a few weeks ago now, shouldve done it myself :doh:

5. vwmark

vwmark Member

Do you have a link to the switch? D3 webasto's sell for nothing on ebay. Bought one for £20

6. Ashley Burton

Ashley Burton Member

I would buy secondhand if I wanted a branded product

wookie likes this.
  7. Xup Member

I'm with Wookie on this, no way would I trust to sleep in the camper or just leave the Chinese heater running without being there with it , Ebers I trust 100% and happy to sleep with it running.

Edit to add

Bought a as new D5s water heater from a newish RangRover (30quid ebay special) bought for the silencer on it, worked out the wiring, made a harness to try and see if I could get it to do anything as it looked so new....:) worked strait off only issue is it only has 3 settings full power till 90C, 1/2 power to 80C then off. (might be full power to 80c then half to 90 then off can't remember )

fizzy likes this.
  8. vwmark

vwmark Member

Can you give me details of the wiring? I want one for preheating coolant on my old Mitsubishi delica so I can run veg oil from the start. Thanks

9. Xup Member

^^^ I'll have a look and sort out some info/pics tomorrow evening, bed is calling :)

10. Cobbler

Cobbler Codger bodger

I've got a Webasto in my camper, over 12 years old with no problems, a friend had a van conversion done & they fitted a Chinese copy. It ran for about 4 hours total & went wrong, when it went back to the importers, it turned out the fans were made of plastic & had all melted.

11. Xup Member

@vwmark , look at the pics for info.

Only 4 wires on the D5s from the RangRover, the water pump wires come from internally in the heater.
    I cut the OEM plug and just used two xt30 connectors

Red and brown battery + and v-
    Other 2 are, green is the +signal wire going to the fuel pump the other connection on the fuel pump needs to be V- coming from the heater(not a v- from the battery.
    Only wire left then is the on/off signal, I had mine wires up to an Easy start controller when I tested mine, that was 3 wire connection going 5A fuse power from the battery, V- coming from the heater, and the signal wire.

Pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Heater came from.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
  12. indy4x

indy4x Forum Supporter

13. vwmark

vwmark Member

@Xup didnt know LR used Eberspacher. Just looked on ebay and only 1 for sale at £300.

Will keep an eye out for a cheap one. Thanks for the wiring info.

14. fizzy Forum Supporter

uk
    Just watched a youtube video of someone mending an Eberspacher - it also has a plastic fan - as it is on the cold air side shouldn't matter.

Look at 2.12 - clearly plastic moulded.

15. Xup Member

@vwmark

Do the Ebay search as "Range Rover water heater" you will have loads of eber/weba results to look through, mostly from breakers. :)

16. Shedendman

Shedendman Member

east sussex
    Also check out ford galaxys,few of those are fitted with a webastos;)

fizzy likes this.
  17. Barlidge

Barlidge Forum Supporter

18. wookie Member

That doesn't bode well for the Chinese copy, even if it had been fitted badly it shouldn't have melted itself.

Okay so they both use a plastic moulding for the fan blades, but is the plastic suitable in the Chinese copy ? Does the Chinese copy have overheat protections etc etc just because it looks visually similar doesn't mean it's built to the same standards.

Now the Chinese copy could be brilliantly engineered and solidly built or it could be made of cheap components that aren't up to the job.

I would hope the Chinese copy blows cool air over the heat exchanger the same as Webasto & Eberspacher's do rather than being mounted on the hot end but who knows, I haven't seen one.

Personally I'd just get hold of a second hand Webasto or Eberspacher unit rather than take a chance on the Chinese copy.

fizzy likes this.
  19. fizzy Forum Supporter

uk
    The Chinese copy is just that - a copy. Of course they will use inferior stuff but the fan is in the same place.
    I doubt it will last as long or be quite as safe - use a CO alarm and dont expect too much.
    As they are copies I am rather dubious about the claimed heat output - 8kw to the Eberspachers 3kw.

20. dcocks

dcocks Forum Supporter

Everything is cheap for a reason, so it's just a case of paying your money and takes your pick, but I do know when my truck Eber ever give up it won't be replaced by a Chinese copy

wookie likes this.
Advertisements