Diesel cab heater

1. fizzy Forum Supporter

uk
    Depends on insulation etc but my 4.5 kw heater copes fine with 7 or 800 sq feet standard height ceiling. My old workshop was 700sq feet with a 20 foot high ceiling and even a 40kw space heater did nothing.

2. mfletch

mfletch Member

3. armalites Member

Herefordshire
    It was an option on TD5s so you may be able to find the wiring is already in place.

4. Kayos

Kayos Member

Genuine units are very spendy, cheap Chinese one in the rear quarter

5. daedalusminos Member

Thanks Fizzy. I did some Googling:

For a poorly insulated room it looks like 12.5W/sq ft (15W for cooler climates) for 8ft ceiling. Add 25% for every 2ft over 8ft ceiling.

Obviously that's a room in a house, but you don't need a garage to be as warm as that, just to take the chill off.

My garage is 40mm log cabin construction, almost 500 sq ft with shallow pitched roof....I might just have to try the 8KW to see how it performs.

6. winchman

winchman Member

I bought one about 12 months ago cant fault it, cost about £170, Genuine Eberspacher is £700+. Campers toasty in 10 mins, one thing I noticed about the Face book group is a few people kicking off when its clearly a poor installation thats stopping it working, simple to fit even with my chinese instructions.
    I did a temp fitting with a petrol can but then fitted a boat fuel tank as I can now run it from Red or Kero which I felt was worth the extra £26 and fitting as it would be a pain to tap in to the van fuel line. Tank is now strapped in and vented through the filler cap to under the van, fuel is drawn through the small plastic dip tube
    IMG_20180227_132624597.jpg IMG_20180315_095019872.jpg IMG_20180219_171201284.jpg

7. indy4x

indy4x Forum Supporter

@Kayos there were Webasto heaters fitted to other Land Rovers and also some of the Rover cars. Have 1 in my D3 and think it's about 5Kw, no remote and it kicks in when temp drops below 5c but I have acquired a GSM remote for it so I can get it warn and toastie by sending it a text.

The D3 uses W bus protocol but you can buy a gizmo off eBay to activate it via a switch if retro fitting

It's not a warn air heater but warns the engine coolant and circulates it

8. doubleboost

doubleboost Member

There will be a video to show its worth in a couple of weeks .
    If it is OK the links will be uploaded

9. Kayos

Kayos Member

That’s the sort I want rather than an air heater but the air ones seem a lot cheaper

10. Ruffian Member

I think I may need to look into the jet kart a bit more also!!!

doubleboost likes this.
  11. doubleboost

doubleboost Member

Ruffian likes this.
  12. wookie Member

I service both Webasto and Eberspacher heaters at work, there isn't a lot to them so I can easily see how the Chinese can knock out clones cheaply, My only concern with the cheap copies is that they are properly sealed so that the fumes can't leak into the heated air. Just to be on the safe side you should have a Carbon Monoxide alarm in the space that you intend to heat.

DAPPH, hunter27, puddles2 and 5 others like this.
  13. doubleboost

doubleboost Member

That is very good advice
    I will mention that in the video

wookie, winchman and fizzy like this.
  14. fizzy Forum Supporter

uk
    I have just ordered an 8kw one - What temp does the hot air outlet reach? Will need to run ducting.

15. wookie Member

Not sure off the top of my head, it's too hot to comfortably touch though. I'll try and find some specs in the service manuals we've got but I suspect it's not listed. IF I remember the next time I'm messing with one I'll stick a temperature probe on it and report back.

The recommended ducting is aluminium stuff like what used to go between the plate over the exhaust manifold and the air intake on old carburettor engined cars to help them in cold weather.

fizzy and doubleboost like this.
  16. Ashley Burton

Ashley Burton Member

I'm enjoying all this diesel heater talk! Learn new stuff every day

bigegg likes this.
  17. supaimpy Member

Dorset UK
    Well as I'm the UK service manager for Eberspacher best declare my colours !, air heater will add enough to burn if you leave your arm or leg in front of it ! Don't use an air heater direct on a windscreen!

The chinese stuff is cloned in appearance however the materials used are not the same , horses for courses , but yet to see a European OEM use a chinese heater, the testing and validation before release to vehicle production takes considerable time and money, remember there are still plenty of Eberspacher D1L running and those are 20 years old minimum, wonder how many chinese heaters will be?

18. Ashley Burton

Ashley Burton Member

We're generally a tight bunch on here, So might struggle to convince us to pay more! :laughing::scared:

fizzy likes this.
  19. fizzy Forum Supporter

uk
    Of course the quality wont be the same. And they will need a lot more tinkering to work. I bet the heat output wont be accurate either - but I paid £135 for one - you could buy 6 or 7 for the cost of an Eberspacher. Would I use it somewhere critical? No! And if I forked out £80k for a Range Rover I wouldn't be impressed with a Chinese one either!

indy4x, decca and hunter27 like this.
  20. indy4x

indy4x Forum Supporter

Prices seem to go up in winter :laughing:

Back in the summer you could pick up a Rover 75 or D3 unit to warm your coolant for about £70

Advertisements