I dont see why not.

fizzy likes this.
  2. Tinbasherdan

Tinbasherdan Bodger in chief

If it isn’t, chuck it my way, it might heat the truck cab on my defender :D

3. mpats

mpats Forum Supporter

Aberdeen
    Interested to see how you get on with it John, I've been thinking of something similar for the garage. If it works with diesel or similar it would probably work with JetA1 and I would probably be able to get waste of it for nowt so only outlay would be the heater.
    Any chance of a link to the one you are reviewing, pm is fine if you don't want to post it on here.

doubleboost likes this.
  4. Barlidge

Barlidge Forum Supporter

Not sure about the Webasto but the Eberspacher fitted to my VW build galaxy is similar as standard, its controlled by three conditions, 12v charging circuit to indicate engine running, coolant temperature and air temperature. on the Eberspacher you can bypass the air temperature sensor with a simple switch to override it.

5. Welderpaul

Welderpaul Moderator Staff Member

Thought you were a Geordie?:whistle::laughing:

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
  6. Xup Member

I run a few Eberspachers in my workshop, van , and one big one for backup emergency use for my house :).

Run them all on 28 heating oil as its the cheapest and cleanest to use, last 200Lt barrel I bought @40p Lt.
    Mostly trouble free really just make sure you let them run through their cycle + it pays to run them flat out for an hour every 3 months or so as it cleans them out.

Very cheap to run on 28 heating oil.

DAPPH, Seadog, fizzy and 2 others like this.
  7. doubleboost

doubleboost Member

It is not for me it is the machines that feel the cold lol

DAPPH, Hopefuldave, Seadog and 4 others like this.
  8. zeppelin builder

zeppelin builder Member

when i worked in Norway we had them in the
    transit crewbus set the timer and all the snow was melted and toasty warm to get in to , block heated too so start at -25 easy why dont we get this option

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  9. zeppelin builder

zeppelin builder Member

there was one in my old 530d bimmer a block heater it was called alledgedly you could get this to perform as i mentioned before with a bit jigggery pokery it was normal in poland one of my comrads told me

ronan likes this.
  10. ronan

ronan Forum Supporter

dublin
    Yeah a friends son was back from canada and said the same, the cars have a way of keeping the engines warm over night, an element or something inside the engine, i thought he was daft. But i remember the father years ago putting a blanket around the engine at night in the really hard weather we used to get.

11. supaimpy Member

Dorset UK
    eber hydronic d4w on landie no problems at all if you let it cycle and shut down correctly , yes there are a lot of copies however they havnt had the same testing as either Ebers or Webastos, thats why they are not fitted to OEM's. People complain FOH's are not reliable and 99% of time it will be a lack of maintenance or people believing they can be fitted in any old way, exhausts and combustion air pipes are important as is ducting on air heaters, fuel pumps fitted correctly with the right size of fuel line to prevent them either overheating from overfuelling or not running at all. They need a good power supply and particularly with water heaters a good means of extracting the heat , matrix's that are too small mean short cycling and then carbon build up because the flame front does n't move as it should with proper modulation.
    many years ago took the company van to Leytech Trials , when I went down to car park in the morning everyone was scraping off snow n ice, my van though was nice u warm , clear screens etc , the eberspacher had done its job!

wookie, fizzy and jerrytug like this.
  12. eddie49 Member

Ronan, engine block heaters are common in Scandinavia and the colder parts of USA. You often see cars there with a power-in socket on the front grille, and some company car parks have power outlets in each bay. The heaters are like a small immersion element, and can be mounted in place of a core plug, in an extra header tank, or by cutting and inserting them into the lower radiator hose. In the US they are 110v and 500 - 1000 W, cost upwards of $30 as an accessory.

ronan and fizzy like this.
  13. mrsbruce

mrsbruce Forum Supporter

I got a 5kw one off ebay last year. Unfortunately it seems to have been a return, as one of the wiring blocks was damaged. After setting up, I had a multitude of problems caused by really carp connectors, including the glow plug giving up.

Did a big complain to seller, and got a hefty lump of my money back. Bought a bundle if cheap aftermarket spares (new board, glowplugs, and pump), and heater seems fine now, and although only used in a test situation, does give out a nice bit of heat.

I put it aside for a bit, but need to get it set up in place, to feed heat into both huts now.

14. dcocks

dcocks Forum Supporter

What brand was this heater

15. mrsbruce

mrsbruce Forum Supporter

I think it was a “beggerknowsplasticcarp” make. One of the generic cheap ones ebay are famed for. Even though I did my homework, it wasn’t until after I bought it that I found out that certain companies were reselling returned heaters with dodgy boards. Fortunately, my refund amount made it worth the bother.

As I said, mine had obviously been mucked about with, and had suffered because of dodgy and damaged connector blocks. Although I fixed the wiring, and replaced the glowplug, I bought all the spares as backup, because it’s still a good heating system. When you get it working.

If I was buying one today. I’d prefer to buy from banggood. I’ve never had dodgy stuff from them, and I’ve bought quite a lot if electronic tools (ok, toys) from them over the last few years.

16. mfletch

mfletch Member

fizzy likes this.
  17. fizzy Forum Supporter

uk
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tayosan-...735608?hash=item1a6346d2f8:g:U08AAOSw9IpXyVmj

Well I bought one of these for work. They are unvented. It turned out a bit too smelly to use in our main office. Just too many people in there. But in my workshop area which is a room about 700 Sq feet it is brilliant. Even on minimum it keeps the room warm. No fumes at all only on start-up.
    They do smaller ones as well. Despite all the negative comments it runs perfectly on standard kero. Electric heating 16p per kw - this 4 to 5p.
    It only uses 25w of electric so could run it an inverter. I used it on an extension the other day. 4.5kw of heat and the wire stays stone cold.

[​IMG]

18. fizzy Forum Supporter

uk
    More like 0.75 to 1L flat out. A lot better than electric - about 1/3 cost!

19. daedalusminos Member

Look forward to the review. I noticed Julian Illett reviewed the 8kw variant, realistically what size workshop/garage would this heat? The benefit of these is external exhaust so it's not pumping loads of moisture into the air.

doubleboost and mrsbruce like this.
  20. steviec_lj

steviec_lj Rust Welding Professional

Be interested in your review John, will be after a couple in the new year when vehicles arrive, as there’s a camper conversion and a tractor that will be on the cards.

Webasto are too expensive for the use they’ll be getting..

Advertisements