Constructive criticism

1. Richard.

Richard. Forum Supporter

Yeah it’s good to have different opinions.

I can take some etches at various current levels to show you what I mean if you would be interested in seeing them.
    It has been a while since I’ve done some with solid Mig wire etches but I’d expect to see less than 1mm of fusion at 200 amps on steel that thick.

2. dannyp Member

may be worth noteing, if your burning 0.8mm wire your machene probaly has more than enough power for the wire. i'd be very suprised if the wire chould carry enough current to max out your machene, chould allways try some 1mm wire

3. addjunkie

addjunkie Member

What is this cross to be used for, how much weight is it to hold, seems fairly heavy duty.....

My thinking, the 5 mm box has welded well, could the other bits not be say 6mm, which your machine would handle no problem.

4. HughF

HughF Member

Work: Dorchester, Workshop: Corfe Castle, Wife's place: Frome
    Sealey 220.... Hmmm... stick a picture up of the data plate, it's probably more like a 180.

5. dannyp Member

with sealey its try it and see part rolls of 1mm can be found to play with,

mate has a sealy 250 it'll run 1mm in dip transfer happily but even on 0.8 it will not spray. i've an old batterd up sealy 185 it'll spray 0.8 easly really dosent like 1mm wire tho

6. Richard.

Richard. Forum Supporter

Spray transfer is deemed by voltage Danny.
    It’s quite simple logic that if your mates machine wasn’t able to make 0.8 wire get into spray then it was simply down on working voltage settings.

7. KimB

KimB Member

Would it find 1mm wire harder to weld the thick stuff or would that make it easier with my welder?
    It’s a ton bag spreader beam for a good friend of mine. He will be testing it before use.
    Okay, probably be end of the week now.

8. Richard.

Richard. Forum Supporter

You should be using 1mm wire.

9. KimB

KimB Member

:ashamed: Oh poo, I’ll pick some up

10. Richard.

Richard. Forum Supporter

Your machine is rated to put out 220 amps on its maximum settings. 2 of those settings are are solely down to you. Stick out and wire diameter. If your running a long stick out you cannot generate it’s max current and if your wire is too small it’s also incapable of providing the max current available. Current is deemed by wire feed rate (volume of wire been fed into the pool over a given time) if your wire been fed is 20% down in diameter you’ll find your current been generated is lower compared to a wire that is bigger. (All settings being equal)
    Going deeper into spray doesn’t necessarily mean going deeper on penetration, as too far into spray produces a wide arc and can reduce penetration. Over loading a small wire with voltage will give increased undercut, spatter and decrease pen and fusion levels. It’s the same thing with all welding Processes whether is constant current or constant voltage, the electrode (wire,stick,tungsten) size is selected to comfortably carry the current you wish to apply. The difference with constant voltage power sources (mig) you won’t actually be able to achieve max current levels if the electrode is incapable of carrying it.

KimB and slim_boy_fat like this.
  11. KimB

KimB Member

I’ve sorted some bigger tips and a bigger wire. I’ll be grinding the welds off the 10mm plate and trying it again with your advice. It worked though.
    A878FCB8-559B-4F30-A75E-3EA23C8AE918.jpeg

• F6EE47DA-7D54-488F-AA59-BE861FFB7D11.jpeg
    tinker jim, gav0994, galooph and 5 others like this.
  12. KimB

KimB Member

ALso it is balanced. Just my friend has put the strops on slightly wonky. That’s over a ton in the IBC

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  13. DTS Member

At the risk of being flamed that spreader needs to be at the base of that in my humble opinion. If that strops slips to the middle I would not want to be near that load. And you’re relying on the pallet sides. I thought it was for a gearbox or something.

14. dannyp Member

yep the 250 A machene is pitufully short on volts out the factory ( its not broken ) the 185 has loads of volts avalible but its not got the grunt for 1mm it should be abel to in theory but it wont settel. i was just trying to illastrate that with i'll call garage / mecanics spec welders so things you've just to to try and see what happens.

KimB 1mm wire will work your welder harder, but whats the point of haveing the power avalible if you can't use it. i think you will find 1mm wire much nicer to use especaly on thinker stuff, i'd say once you've used 1mm wire you won't go back unless doing bodywork. its a very flexible wire on the thin stuff you just go faster and downhill, but when you want it to it has a hell of a lot more bite than 0.8 and so much easyer to get a neat weld

KimB likes this.
  15. KimB

KimB Member

It’s not for that normally. My friends just doing a small test to see if anything damages but I’m going to be re welding the upper welds with the 1mm wire I have now. That iso will have barely any pull on the sides.

16. Go to bed, it's half 4 in the morning!

KimB and gav0994 like this.
  17. KimB

KimB Member

After thinking about your question, I realised I’ve answered it wrong. Those strops are pinching the IBC. No way it’d slide. That’s how it should be slung if you’ve got no forks. (Obviously he does but this is to test it) :D
    I’m up for work. Was up at 0330 yesterday.

18. Richard.

Richard. Forum Supporter

Sorry Danny but I can’t see that to be right.
    If it was a 250 amp machine it would have no problem eating 1mm wire
    It’s not going to be coming out of the factory unable to get a 1mm wire into spray it’s a faulty machine that’s what it is.
    Either that or there is secondary voltage settings your mate hasn’t found yet.

19. Richard.

Richard. Forum Supporter

It’s supporting a ton easily and if that’s all it’s going to support I would leave it as it is and keep the 1mm for next time.

20. 8ob

8ob Forum Supporter

As its lifting equipment it may be an idea to load test it, maybe stack two ibc`s and pick them up together with some longer straps. I dont know whether x2 is what they use to certify but it would be a start and you could stamp it up with a swl.

Bob

arther dailey, KimB and Richard. like this.
Advertisements