Review Cheap eBay 200amp single phase inverter MMA

1. skotl

skotl Forum Supporter

I wouldn't be surprised if they either send you a new one or just credit you.

I've only had one problem with a bg delivery and they refunded me in 24 hours

slim_boy_fat, ajmoore1 and Gragson like this.
  2. Dutch Welder Member

Is it a 9mm pin, I might have one of those plastic shrouds about from when I converted my NTF from 9 to 13mm dinse.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  3. ajmoore1 Member

uk
    Hi. Yes it is a 9mm pin. If you have one that would be good. Much appreciated.

4. Hood

Hood If it walks like a duck....

Will it not just be as cheap (£2.99) to buy the complete socket than to send the shroud from the Netherlands?

ajmoore1 and Gragson like this.
  5. ajmoore1 Member

uk
    Have just ordered a complete socket, so hopefully sorted. They have offered a $15 dollar refund so fingers crossed it will be ok.

slim_boy_fat and Hood like this.
  6. skotl

skotl Forum Supporter

This Old Tony reviews a $56 arc welder and then tries TIG with it!

Summary:
    1. 110A not 225A
    2. Came with welding gloves, the ubiquitous crummy handheld mask, mini-dinse plugs, clamp and torch but no copper leads!
    3. Surprisingly good with 6013s (he actually said "fantastic")
    4. No good with 7018s, cos the OCV is only 30V
    5. Pretty decent as a scratch TIG, but only after you invest 4 * the cost of the welder in gas, a new torch, electrodes, etc.
    6. Seriously unimpressed with the safety of the device (not least that it's not earthed)

a111r, Munkul and Memmeddu like this.
  7. Memmeddu

Memmeddu Member

Iv
    I've seen that video yesterday night but the bed won
    So this morning I rewind the video and watched with satisfaction

I used to avoid to watch Tony because I always thought that was another American machining only channel (I don't like to see lathes and mills doing what they do because I would like to use them but I can't because I can't really afford them for the moment so I become angry)
    But almost 3 weeks ago I watched his video titled
    "Let's talk about oxyfuel " (not sure if is oxyfuel or oxy acetylene)
    And I've seen European cee plugs
    European gas cylinders
    European hoses
    So I decided to press the subscribe button and activate the notifications
    A smart guy I might say

8. mart

mart Member

Surely the warranty starts from the day you receive the item? Or at least it should do. I would argue that one with a retailer.

Memmeddu and skotl like this.
  9. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

Good luck with that when the retailer is in China :(

northwest likes this.
  10. mart

mart Member

I don't see it being an issue when purchased via paypal-6 months to sort issues out.

11. skotl

skotl Forum Supporter

When my cut50 failed, Paypal were initially very supportive but only up to the point where the Chinese reseller wanted me to send it back to China at my expense.
    Paypal's position was that the reseller was being reasonable, and Paypal wouldn't consider a refund unless I'd given the reseller a chance to fix it.

Luckily, I managed to fix it myself but I suspect that I would have had to write the £200 off if I hadn't managed to.

I consider anything bought from China as being something I can afford to lose the money on if it doesn't work out. Luckily all my other purchases have been smooth.

Pigeon_Droppings2 and Gragson like this.
  12. mart

mart Member

Interesting.How old was the item at the time of the dispute?

13. skotl

skotl Forum Supporter

14. mart

mart Member

Yes, please do. It is worth sharing stuff life this.

15. skotl

skotl Forum Supporter

Edited earlier message with links :thumbup:

16. Kram

Kram Member

Might have to get one of these. No chance they can be used as the power box for a mig spool gun, to replace my mig?

17. eddie49 Member

No, none at all. The OCV will be 60v or more, MIG needs 20 to 30v. The output characteristic will be Constant-Current ( CC ), MIG needs Constant-Voltage ( CV ).

Kram likes this.
  18. Kram

Kram Member

Yep all true, just wishfull thinking that they could achive both with the same set of components and electrical trickery :D

So I think I will buy one of these anyway. I have a useable, but not great mig. Plan was to replace it with a better inverter mig/mma/tig box but I am now thinking a proper tig eith ac is not that much more expensive and probably far easier.

But Ive not done tig before. For steel parts, how much difference is there between one of these and a £350 box?

19. eddie49 Member

Yes, they certainly can do both in an inverter. The feedback for the pulse-width modulation controller that drives the gates of the MOSFETs or IGBTs can come from a current-sense pickup coil on one of the output leads, to provide a constant-current supply for Arc welding. Alternatively, the feedback can be driven by a voltage comparator across the DC output, giving a constant-voltage supply for MIG welding. That allows both MMA and MIG functionality in one box. Unfortunately, not in this little box.

Kram likes this.
Advertisements