Review Cheap eBay 200amp single phase inverter MMA

1. Memmeddu

Memmeddu Member

Generally I use scrap metal to do that , totally inexpensive and I can change it every day

2. Gragson

Gragson Forum Supporter

I've also been taken by the lure of the Bang good offer, ordered on Friday expected end of the month, never used them before, do they have similar protection as ebay? - Was a PP payment.
    Ordered up upgrade cable for my mig earth cast clamp which will fit the doorstop also as same dinse, and same decent cable and stick holder and commando socket for extension. Thats come to more than the doorstop!

Can't wait for it to turn up to have a play - isn't it exciting :laughing:

Memmeddu, eSCHEn and skotl like this.
  3. skotl

skotl Forum Supporter

I buy all sorts of stuff from banggood. Ordered a size 14 collet last night for £4.
    The best thing is that it takes so long to get here that I totally forget what I've ordered so it's like a Christmas surprise when the parcels finally turn up!

I've never had a problem with anything I've ordered from there but I would think that if I did, I'd probably just write it off to experience.

That said, paying by paypal (which I do) does definitely give you some protection.

4. Pigeon_Droppings2 Forum Supporter

If it works thats a cracking little box to have handy just in case you need it.

I really like small tools....my garage isn't getting any bigger so small stuff = more stuff :laughing:

5. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

Is it like gear best ? The warranty on there is 45 days from ordering and it's almost run out by the time your stuff gets here. As above you just have to write it off if anything doesn't come up to your expectations.

6. skotl

skotl Forum Supporter

Indeed. I love my Rtech MTS-255 but I also have a little IGBT arc thingy I bought for £90 - took that up the road today to fix my neighbour's gate and it's a lot easy to humph around than the big unit!

slim_boy_fat and Gragson like this.
  7. mart

mart Member

@Pigeon_Droppings2
    "If it works thats a cracking little box to have handy just in case you need it".

That is a very fair point. If it does not work it is a lump of C**p.

For the guys that have took a punt on one of these I genuinely hope it works. It is extremely portable.

I have looked back through this thread and cannot see anywhere where the weight is mentioned-or have I missed that?

I noticed that there is no carrying handle on it. It can always go under the arm like a carpet-but not not straight after using it, ouch!

8. Seadog

Seadog Forum Supporter

Watching with much interest. I too bought one from eBay which is waiting for me when I return from holiday.

Memmeddu likes this.
  9. mart

mart Member

I'm hoping Seadog & Gragson also share their opinion on here after putting the inverter to the test.

At the moment I think the OP must be still gutting fish.

10. Pigeon_Droppings2 Forum Supporter

I suspect it will work but the duty cycle might be terrible so really only usable for tiny jobs!

I looked at these but in the end I decided to spend a bit more on a Hyundai machine...welds very well and 2 year warranty which is something I value!

Worth a punt on cheap stuff....you never know really because technology moves forwards so might be alot better than a used unit!

11. eddie49 Member

mart likes this.
  12. mart

mart Member

Thanks for that eddie49

13. mart

mart Member

I really like the idea of something very portable with a 13amp plug on the end that can plug in to 240.

My old SIP160 stick welder requires a 30amp supply.

@Pigeon_Droppings2
    Was the Hyundai you got recently an inverter? If 240 and portable, any details/price/link?

14. Pigeon_Droppings2 Forum Supporter

Hi mart..yea it's 240v and will run off a 13A....I bought the 200A model which I think will run up to 160A on a 13A plug (not tried blowing the fuse yet).

Price was a lot more expensive but I wanted something that won't leave me wanting more power if I need it....also very portable as it weighs hardly anything!

2 year warranty was a big selling point for me. I don't do a lot of stick welding but wanted something that I could put a gate together with if needed.

https://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/threads/hyundai-hymma-160-inverter.92445/

Memmeddu likes this.
  15. Gareth0123

Gareth0123 You'll need 16 pigs to do the job in one sitting!

Everything that could get in the way of testing this tiny little Chinese MMA set did get in the way.

I spent an extra half day on the broads fishing with my friend and I also needed to have a meeting with an artist I am working closely with, so that consumed Friday.

Saturday morning came and I needed to go to the jewellers and get 'er-in-doors engagement ring fixed because the stone had worked loose in the setting, then I went to work for a few hours because of a rushed pre-Puppy dog order placed on me by an Italian freight company, then another friend rang me about nipping out with them on their boat and recovering some bankside dumped gas cylinders, and then when I got back home 'er-in-doors informed me she had bought me the Merritt overlocking sewing machine I had wanted but could not afford because I had spent all of the remaining tool budget for this month on a new ½" OD X 2¼" CLR X 180deg Former and Guide set for my JD2 Model 3 Tube bender.

I honestly did have the good intention of testing the wee beastie on Sunday morning and had even found some very old 4mm X 6013 electrodes to give it a damn good workout with, but at 9am our friends called and asked us to go to Pensthorpe with them on a family ticket for the day. After following the nature trail, the sculpture trail and playing with 4 year old Isaac on the climbing frames, slides and in the digger pit on Sunday evening I was just too knackered to do anything else.

Currently this coming Friday, the 13th is looking good for a continuation of this review.

16. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

^^^ It's a simple matter of establishing priorities.....:whistle: :D

skotl, Memmeddu and Pigeon_Droppings2 like this.
  17. mart

mart Member

@Gareth0123
    The main thing is that you are ok. It is good that you are safe & well.

It sounds like you are busier than a one armed taxi driver with crabs.

This is a good position to be in. Keep it going for as long as you can. There are a lot of lonely people out there,void of contact-especially the elderly. As for me, I have the Samaritans on "BT friends & family" ;)

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  18. Gareth0123

Gareth0123 You'll need 16 pigs to do the job in one sitting!

The little beastie completed its first paying job today; 10 of 3.2Ø type 6013 electrodes laid down over a thirty minute period with the dial switch set at just under 100 amps. The job was welding two 100 x 50 x 10 PFC uprights to two 60 x 60 x 5 SHS horizontals...….. The set performed perfectly.

When I got in this evening I remembered to weigh it, note the shoulder carrying strap that was supplied with this set.

1559 grams or 55 ounces or not quite 3½lbs

IMG_2047.JPG

Hood, Seadog, skotl and 3 others like this.
  19. Memmeddu

Memmeddu Member

My welder weight is 5kg this thing weights nothing
    Very impressed about it works now you have to try the same size of electrodes but E7018

20. mart

mart Member

Sounds good.
    Did you take any photos of the weld beads?

Memmeddu likes this.
Advertisements