Camper conversion, no turning back now

1. SteScouse

SteScouse Forum Supporter

Wont be this weekend but I'm gonna have to try practice shaping more

No idea yo could get shapes like that with simple tools

Exuptoy likes this.
  2. There was a video doing the rounds of some guy handmaking body panels with really basic tool in the dirt in India or Thailand a long while back but I can’t find it. Maybe someone here will have the link.

stuvy and SteScouse like this.
  3. SteScouse

I seen something similar on telly once, guys in Cuba making wings etc for really old American cars. But everything was basically sheets beat into whatever curve necessary.

Still a ton of skill but wasn't shapes like you had made. Gonna hit YouTube and see if i can find it soon.

On a bit of time limit with van tho, getting it to meet spec for insurance. So every chance i get am out on that right now. Hoping to get the weld done today/ tmw and a window fitted during the week.

Exuptoy and Parm like this.
  4. octo0072000

octo0072000 Member

it or was on retro rides i think

zx9, Exuptoy and SteScouse like this.
  5. Maybe that’s where I saw it then.

6. SteScouse

Well the patch is in, and am happy with it for my first attempt. Others may think otherwise lol, photos to follow

Slight delay re pics as my phone acting up. Goes flat at 73%. Ordered replacement, that had issues too.

The replacements replacement will be here tmw hopefully.

Constructive criticism welcome when i do post pics. Hitting whiskey now to help me cope lol
    Seriously tho, i know alot of experienced and well meaning people on here, any comments welcome :thumbup:
    Oh and i used the piece i made even tho got a piece from scrappy, call it stubbornness :fighting:

Back in a bit, my tea nearly ready.

stuvy, eLuSiVeMiTe and Parm like this.
  7. Ashley Burton

Ashley Burton Member

@SteScouse I was working on my van today ready to weld her up! Getting bored of patch welding now, Knew I should have listened & not bought a transit van :doh::laughing:

8. eLuSiVeMiTe

eLuSiVeMiTe Member

Was lucky on the welding front.
    Just dents and surface rust around the dents.

SteScouse likes this.
  9. SteScouse

Think i been lucky with this van. Only rust i spotted is on the towbar, and that's surface rust only.

Hope photos load okay.... IMG_20191110_133008651.jpg IMG_20191110_181332290.jpg

stuvy and Parm like this.
  10. SteScouse

Bloody phone IMG_20191110_181329734.jpg

eLuSiVeMiTe likes this.
  11. SteScouse

BTW, this is why I'm reluctant to fart around disconnecting the battery. So welding done with it connected. Did use GYS surge protector.

If its snake oil i lost £20 and your safe welding with battery connected anyway.

If its not and actually works when needed its £20 well spent. So overall happy enough.

IMG_20191110_122341457.jpg

12. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

Looking good....if you make it over sized then tack in the curved parts to the existing floor you should be able to tweak it when it's half welded in.....then just trim the excess metal off with a slit disc and butt weld the rest in. The 1mm slit discs are ideal I find....I did most of my floor repairs by tacking in part of the repair and working the metal once it was on the car....all that matters is what it looks like when you are done.

Once the trough is tacked to the original floor it'll have a lot more rigidity.

slim_boy_fat, stuvy and SteScouse like this.
  13. SteScouse

Like that mate, cheers !

Yeah i really like those 1mm discs. 10 for £10 at Toolstation for DeWalt ones.

On a variable speed grinder you can get really quite delicate cuts with them.

Next time i have to do a patch I'll try what you suggest, ta :thumbup:

EDIT : BTW, Never had one of the skinny discs break either, ran one down to about 70mm and was handy even then. Obviously at a lower speed tho

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
    Pigeon_Droppings2, Parm and stuvy like this.
  14. ranchero Member

i have used a surge protector for 20 years now, i don't know if they work or they are not needed but i do know i have never had a a problem

SteScouse likes this.
  15. SteScouse

Thats exactly my thinking mate. Plus sold by makers of welding machines like Sealey and GYS.

So if useles they risking a lot by selling them, reputation at least

16. rosinante

rosinante Member

No criticisms but surely to disconnect battery it would just mean undoing and lifting negative lead off , 1 bolt ?

stuvy and Exuptoy like this.
  17. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

My floor was all odd shaped with a flange along the edge...I did it out of necessity and then I realised it's alot easier than trying to create a perfect repair piece!

I sometimes just oversize the patch...slit a couple of inches...do a little tapping...couple of tacks and just work my way along. Works better on thinner steel which is easier to move around....takes a little practice but I found it works well with difficult shapes.

18. SteScouse

Agreed. But how many sensitive circuit's will be affected, set back to factory setyings etc. Van past 176,000 miles. IMO not worth the risk if when you reconnect ECU wont accept readings from countless sensors.

No critisim taken BTW mate, til i bought this van most complicated batrery set up I'd seen was on my 2002 Focus. But multiple posts on here from trade guys swayed my opinion. And after taking the plunge they was right. I'm very grateful for advice given and available on here.

19. I was gonna mention just removing the earth but if it’s survived intact then all’s good.
    On the subject of your welding I’m sure others more capable than me will critique it, but it looks ok and maybe with a little more heat and slightly less wire speed it would be a little flatter but nothing a flap disc can’t hide. Well done for a first attempt.

jsf55, Parm, SteScouse and 1 other person like this.
  20. SteScouse

Thanks mate, I'm kind of anticipating some grinder time :(

Worst part of job was removing underseal. Re heat i went to lowest setting out of nervousness i guess. But your right, bit more heat, bit less wire would be good

( Dont tell anyone, but i prefer stick welding really )

Climber likes this.
Advertisements