Camper conversion, no turning back now

1. SteScouse

SteScouse Forum Supporter

Beautiful day here, so spent a good few hours clearing out the van in advance of actual conversion work

Body work is in really good condition for its age, seen much worse on vans half this age

Only welding needed is a tear in van floor, almost looks like metal was punctured

Really lucky where it is too, nothing awkward or flammable in surrounding area underneath and patch needed only about 100mmx75mm. Drilled some holes to stop tears spreading before i get it done. IMG_20191027_155107772_HDR.jpg IMG_20191027_133759770.jpg
    IMG_20191027_135846756.jpg IMG_20191027_094804070_HDR.jpg
    Think been lucky with racking too, was going to flog it but reckon worth more to keep. Going to put toolbox on top and fit new locks, handy storage in garage. Was a pig to get out by myself tho, weighs a ton

magnet, rockweasel, jsf55 and 4 others like this.
  2. SteScouse

I'll probably be asking tips before i do the weld but possibly next weekend before i get chance

Considering using a jack to hold metal box against underside to catch majority of sparks. Fuel tank about 15 inches away so thinking wet towel over that

Its diesel tho and read on here thats not worth removing tank if sensible precautions taken

Which lead to the never ever asked before question.... disconnect battery or not?

Read everything available on this, here and elsewhere. None the wiser, :dontknow:

Parm likes this.
  3. eLuSiVeMiTe

eLuSiVeMiTe Forum Supporter

Nice racking. If you were closer I'd persuade you to sell.

barking mat, 8ob, stuvy and 1 other person like this.
  4. SteScouse

Cheers. It didnt get called nice names earlier. No idea what its worth, its seriously well made tho.

Also got matting for under it, bracing for the back to extend brackets to van sides and a step adapter so mat supported

Oh and a steel tube guard type thing. Think that was extra protection on side lpg tank was

eLuSiVeMiTe likes this.
  5. cheb Forum Supporter

Yes, disconnect the battery. That said, I've only ever heard rumours about problems, and never directly from someone who's had it happen to them.

SteScouse likes this.
  6. SteScouse

Cheers cheb

7. Parm

Parm I have fun doing stuff

Good luck with your project

SteScouse likes this.
  8. SteScouse

Thanks mate, appreciate that :thumbup:

Parm likes this.
  9. Ashley Burton

Ashley Burton Member

Not had any issues welding up my van with the battery still connected

I always put the earth clamp within close proximity of where I'm welding

steve t, SteScouse and eLuSiVeMiTe like this.
  10. SteScouse

Cheers Ashley, but this is where the confusion is for me. Got as many people saying do as saying dont.

Not your fault mate, just wish i could find a definitive answer. Going off my own (albeit limited) understanding you should be ok to leave connected cos of shortest route etc

Plan on using a magnetic earth clamp on bright metal literally 6 inches from the weld

Dont mind stripping paint to get bright metal as giving floor a coat of paint anyway before flooring done

11. Ashley Burton

Ashley Burton Member

Top tip for you:

Weld a tab to the body & use that as your earth point. Then cut off when finished!

12. SteScouse

Good idea mate, thanks

Ashley Burton likes this.
  13. roofman

roofman Purveyor of fine English buckets and mops

Only over the water Ste.if you change your mind over selling shelving let me know mate;)

Parm and eLuSiVeMiTe like this.
  14. ukracer Forum Supporter

wonder if this place did the racking? https://www.google.com/search?clien...hUKEwi5i9GCir3lAhWRwqYKHah4Bu4Q4dUDCAo&uact=5

15. keithski122 Member

uk
    I prefer to grind somewhere clean then clamp some vice grips to the metal then the welder clamp on the grips.

SteScouse likes this.
  16. SteScouse

Anotyer good tip, cheers Keithski22

Will do roofman, I'll mull it over. Definitely good racking, van was first owned by AA and guess they get good gear.

Its a big old chunk of metal, dimensions are 124cm high, 145cm wide and 44cm deep

And aye UKracer, was made by Bri-store like you say mate

17. Justme

Justme Member

Have you checked the new guidance for camper conversion registration?

18. SteScouse

Not expecting DVLA acceptance if thats what you mean mate, believe thats nigh on impossible now

Link seems to be re driving lessons?

19. Ashley Burton

Ashley Burton Member

Yeah it's a load of...

I wouldn't even bother, I haven't modified anything structurally on my van as I don't want my insurance to go up any more than it currently is

20. Got my Transporter reclassified as a motor caravan. Had to send pics, Van had to have a removable table, 6ft bed, two ring burner as a minimum along with separate gas supply, water containers and maybe more. Can’t remember if there was more.

SteScouse and barking mat like this.
Advertisements