best tool you ever bought

1. spannaman Member

le13
    have you all forgot the most important tool in any workshop? the only tool you cannot possibly do without! without it there would be another general strike, in times of crisis we all reach for it...........the kettle

2. panrixx

panrixx Member

I thought that as every one else is checking their vices I might as well do the same.

A Record Auto-Vice 74 (smallish), with a large wing nut bench fixing system. Nice vice for the smaller needs.

A Record Steel 34 (biggish). Bought from an auction and a heavy piece of kit.

3. MrFluffy Member

Yep, as usual tony griffiths's site has the info on them :-

http://www.lathes.co.uk/fortis

4. malcolm

malcolm Hej!

They must be the same guys. Late '40s sounds like a realistic date for my vice given the amount of wear and abuse it had been through by the late '80s when I picked it up. Cool - a classic vice!

5. FireStorm Member

my vice is big and heavy!!!!! no idea how old is but my old man used to use it in his early 20's 30 odd years ago and it's still used today!!!!!

best tool for me, compressor, used to do everything by hand take ages and sweat lots, got one for xmas, and thats all i use now!!!!

it's onla small cheap clarke one from machine mart but it does the job

6. steve202

steve202 ǝlʇıʇ ɹǝsn ɯoʇsnɔ

Wales.UK
    Been titting round with the camera. Heres my beloved vice.

[​IMG]

7. just out of interest have found a site that sells the record vices
    http://www.knighton-tools.co.uk/acatalog/Mechanics_Vices_Record.html
    And if you cant be bothered to visit it here are the prices
    record No 8 £325
    record No 6 £173
    record no 5 £116
    record no 4 £98
    record no 3 £57
    record no 1 £30
    Record no 23 £203
    record no 25 £280

anyone thats got any of the record vices from No 5 upwards has themselves an expensive bit of kit

8. Welderpaul

Welderpaul Moderator Staff Member

Those prices are way over the odds. They can be bought new much cheaper than the prices they are quoting!
    Even cheaper at auction or if your lucky enough to find a local ebay one.

9. steve202

steve202 ǝlʇıʇ ɹǝsn ɯoʇsnɔ

Wales.UK
    Pretty interesting. Had mine for sod all though, so technically not valid for this thread. It fell into my dads pocket at his works and he accidentally brought it home and gave it to me. He didn't notice it untill too late.

I would like a bigger one but would have to actually spend now because the old mans retired :laughing:

10. Welderpaul

Favourite tool - podger type instrument with podger on one end and crowbar type end on the other - invaluable for making things fit. Didn't buy it strictly speaking - it just ended up with my tools!

• daft pictures 008.jpg
    • daft pictures 009.jpg
  11. I had a selection of those when I did a bit of steel fixing, Spaner on one end tho normaly 24mm or 30mm so you could bolt the storntions to the eves brilliant.

12. Drains

Drains Yeah, nah.

Paul, what's your podger/crowbar made of? Looks a bit shiny to me. I worked with a fitter who had a titanium crowbar he'd made, with some difficulty, when he worked at IMI Witton. Light as a feather.

13. Ratty

Ratty Putting the She in Sheds

What's a 'podger' for crying out gently?

14. Drains

Drains Yeah, nah.

A "podger", dear Rats, is a Rat Tailed implement used for lining up bolt holes on bits of metal wot you have to join together. A fitters tool, strictly speaking.

ronan likes this.
  15. Welderpaul

It's shiny cos its well used - not quite sure what its made of - feels the same weight as steel.

16. Ratty

Ratty Putting the She in Sheds

What I call 'that spikey thing' - I use one for lining up holes in moulds for bolting. I shall have to rename it. What you call it again? a bodger?

17. Welderpaul

No. That's Si.
    It's called a Podger.:laughing:

Edit: Beat ya Si!

18. Drains

Drains Yeah, nah.

No, that's me. A PODGER!

Great minds Paul :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

19. Hitch

Hitch Moderator Staff Member

Somerset
    Podger....

Im building up my collection of podger spanners slowly, snail brand :)

A tapered bar, sometimes a prybar, or a spanner.

Use to line up holes in steelwork.
    A plain spike is very handy too, you can beat them into a hole, if you do it with a podger spanner, you mess it up and it doesnt fit onto the nuts as well as it should.

Its supprising what you can get to lineup with a big hammer and podger :)

20. MrFluffy Member

I have a nice 6ft bar with one end ground to a point and the other spade end thats podgeralike. Its about 40mm cross section, and I have never managed to bend it, even using it to winch up against and stuff, I dont think its en15 or the like, some weird alloy since it never rusts either. I think originally it was obtained from a road laying crew where they used the pointy end to shift big sections of barrier into alignment.
    It aint half handy when it comes to moving something weighing a tonne or two around on a floor. I can walk even the big miller round using the spade end and a steel block as a pivot...
    If im moving stuff, that day its my best tool :D

Advertisements