best tool you ever bought

1. Welderpaul

Welderpaul Moderator Staff Member

But more expensive :laughing: We have poor old Scarecrow's wallet to think of!

2. Hitch

Hitch Moderator Staff Member

Somerset
    That is true :rolleyes:

3. Welderpaul

Can we see a picture of your pressbrake at sometime hitch, sounds like your favourite workshop tool!

4. Drains

Drains Yeah, nah.

I drilled a wee hole through the handle of mine which has a loop of string through it. This attaches to a mini carabiner on my belt. The knife slips into my pocket to keep it out of the way, but it's suspended from my belt, and quick to take out. It's sharpened often enough that the blade is now very noticeably smaller than a new knife. I like to keep it keen so I can threaten big Glaswegians with it. ;)

£6.74 is a decent price.

Opinel make a stainless version which takes and holds an edge very well, unusually. Possibly better than the m/s one.

5. Drains

Drains Yeah, nah.

Can we see a pic of your miracle bender with a piece of stock in it, cos I havn't worked out how it works yet (dumb schmuck) :rolleyes:

6. mixer10_1 Member

oldham
    My Portamig (Red with Union jack) Cos its brill and the only item I've bought brand new.

7. steve202

steve202 ǝlʇıʇ ɹǝsn ɯoʇsnɔ

Wales.UK
    I reckon my vice has to be near the top of my list. Its a no6 record and is the centre of my world :laughing::laughing:
    Its has taken a fair bit of abuse and still going strong after 15 years. Downside is no release lever. I have an inch drive T bar and ratchet which has been around forever and for which I've only got 2 sockets but I really like the ruggedness of them though they are rarely used.
    I'm a bit obcessive over my tools and won't let them suffer abuse, having quite a few hand me downs from my Dad, woe betide any poor soul who picks up one of my screwdrivers for use as a chisel.:eyepatch:

8. Drains

Drains Yeah, nah.

Woe betide any poor soul who picks up one of my chisels for use as a screwdriver!!!!! :mad:

9. steve202

Wales.UK
    Sacrelidge! :laughing:

10. record no 6 vice is a nice one, i know cos i got a no 8, and i must have beaten more things to death in it than i dont know what

11. steve202

Wales.UK
    I can only dream of an 8.

Bloody prices on vices! Shocking.

12. Welderpaul

I've got a Record 25. nah nah! Dual purpose as well, it is also an anvil!

13. steve202

Wales.UK
    I need to get properly tooled up to compete with you lot. :laughing:

14. scarecrow

scarecrow Outstanding in his field

Ireland
    I got a record 23 and another old blacksmith's vice which is about half as big again nah nah!

15. I thought I was the only one in the world with one of them:rolleyes:.... Best tool, Id say it's my guilotine, I love chomping through plate with the little sucker, and the cool noise it makes on startup as it spins the flywheal upto speed.

16. JimM

JimM Member

I just picked one of these up today, they're big old boys aren't they !

Looks like new and at £35 from the local free ads thought it was a bit of a bargain

17. malcolm

malcolm Hej!

A vice is essential! I bought mine from an autojumble about 20 years ago. It's a decent 6 inch jaw job but come late afternoon the seller took £10 for it - the carpark was about 1/2 mile away and nobobody else was daft enough to carry a big vice that far (thanks mum for helping :D).

Looked it up on the internet just for fun but can't find any reference. I suspect the manufacturers went bust ages ago. Anyone heard of Fortis Steel?

• fortis-steel.jpg
  18. Hitch

Hitch Moderator Staff Member

Somerset
    Fortis.... i think they made lathes and mills at some point didnt they??

19. checked my vices. record no 8, reccord 22 and a record 25. and another old one which has two sets of jaws, which you can rotate round. Im sure there is another one somewhere hidden.

There is nothing like a good vice, something that will hold a bit of steel while you club ten bales out of it with a rather large lump hammer with no fear of the vice breaking

20. cobminor

cobminor Member

West Sussex
    The car

Advertisements