best tool you ever bought

1. Ratty

Ratty Putting the She in Sheds

So Mr Ratty keeps reminding me :laughing:

2. Wozzaaah

Wozzaaah The wizard of woz Staff Member

Wiltshire, UK
    I'm going to say my 4x6 bandsaw, made by Pennine tools but they're all pretty much the same. Got it on fleabay for somewhere around £90 if i recall. It was second hand and the guy listed it as a band saw so nobody else spotted it. (tip; always try mis-spelling what you're looking for, you'll be amazed what you'll find) Not fantastically accurate but are any of them??:)

3. Unclefista

Unclefista Member

Bradford UK
    My 2nd angle grinder, means I had a grinding disc on 1 and a cutting disc on the other and didn't keep having to change n'em :)

Ashley Burton likes this.
  4. Ratty

Ratty Putting the She in Sheds

Me too - always had the wrong disc on, didn't have to buy the 2nd one tho', just nicked it from Mr Ratty - he's a painter :artist: wots he want an angle grinder for anyway? [​IMG]

5. migmag

migmag Member

North east
    Well I'd like to say my four poster ramp but I ain't got one................

Probably my tape always on my and use it for more than measuring.

Stanley powerlocks are good for poking cheeky kids too.

6. Alex Member

North West Kent
    Most used tool probably the set square and the vernier caliper.

The MIG is probably the favourite, but the metal bandsaw really makes things a lot easier.

Also the computer (PC;)) for drawing things out I take for granted.

7. Lippyp Member

Lancashire UK
    My big 1/2" drive breaker bar, rusty 4x4 nuts and bolts wither under it's power!

8. Highway_Star

Highway_Star Member

Fife, Scotland
    Spot weld cutter, had one which was basically a small hole saw, it worked'ish. Then I got one which is a flat ended twist drill, looks not unlike a milling cutter, it is the dogs danglies! Does a lovely job of removing spot welds, no need ot grind the remains off after, and it also does a lovely job of making holes in new panels for plugs welds.

Another unbelievably useful gadget is Halfords Pro ratchet spanner/hex/torx/screwdriver bit set. Bought to make changing the heater resistor on the Range Rover easier (possible without removing half the front end), it now finds itself firmly in the top tray of my toolbox.

9. shenion

shenion Tool Pack Rat

One of my fav's also along with the 6' pipe that slides over it :laughing:

This Jeep has cheap bolts and nuts. A buddy and I put in a new suspension (3" lift kit with new springs, control arms and shocks.) Most of the nuts just sheared off. His impact driver could not handle them.

The breaker bar did ;)

10. Luke

Luke Forum Supporter

My air chisel has got me out of a few situations that nothing else would, have split nuts that have rounded off etc.

air ratchet severs a lot of arm ache, so that's worth a mention too.

mmmmmmmm air tools

Ashley Burton likes this.
  11. Drains

Drains Yeah, nah.

I forgot my favourite tool earlier, cos it's always there... Opinel No8 knife. Goes everywhere with me (except on planes), use it all the time. Everyone should have one (except neds).

ronan likes this.
  12. MrFluffy Member

Im going to plump for my facom brevettes. They look a lot like a pair of weird small mole grips, but theyre incredibly well made with good jaws with much finer hardened teeth than mole grips, even genuine ones.
    They're a lifesaver, as as long as I can get them near (ie the screw head isnt sunken into a relief) they can grip the outer head of m6 pan head screws that someone has butchered the screw head /stripped the inhex on and turn it with enough torque to get the dead screw out regardless. And if you come to any secondhand bike, almost always its covered with butchered m6 screws where someone has used a pozidrive on the philips screws...
    Before I owned them I used to use a tiny hammer and centre punch ground into a tiny flat to knock the head round, but when your trying to get floatbowl screws out of a set of motorcycle carbs (soft alloy bodies), they dont take too kindly to being frapped and it was awkward supporting the part while you shocked it etc.
    The best thing about them was that they were free. I bought a old XS850 triple with them abandoned under the seat along with some tiny stilsons (still got them too), and sold the bike that day minus the tools for a decent profit. Result! Ive got quite a lot of my favourite tools in deals like that over the years...

13. malcolm

malcolm & Clementine the Cat

I most affection for two of my most simple tools. One is a pointy tool made my sharpening a long thin screwdriver. It's mostly used as a scribe, though comes in handy for other jobs. The other is a very worn old eating knife with a wide bendy blade. Though I didn't buy either.

I'd struggle with the best bought tool. They are all handy, but none have the character of my favourite tools. Halfords Pro spanners would probably get the vote just because they are nice to use, but they don't seem to include all the useful sizes.

Though I did write an obiturary for an angle grinder once. :rolleyes:

14. Wozzaaah

Wozzaaah The wizard of woz Staff Member

Wiltshire, UK
    Forgot to mention my Clarke metal cutting circular saw, great piece of kit for cutting plate, so quick and leaves a lovely clean edge on it, very noisy though!

15. scarecrow

scarecrow Outstanding in his field

Ireland
    Hi everybody my favourite tool would have to be my DeWALT Chop saw as it cuts everything at right angles or 45° everytime so much easier to weld
    my least favourite would have to be the old angle grinder I know it's not it's fault that I cant cut straight but a good tradesmen always blames his tools

16. panrixx

panrixx Member

On your advice I just bought one on Ebay.

(Item number: 270127446335) £6.74 including postage.

More available if any one is interested.

17. Welderpaul

Welderpaul Moderator Staff Member

This is my 'best tool i ever bought'. It is a Miracle bender. Cost £200 and is a right lump - weighs 100kg, and this is the medium sized one. Puts nice tight bends in flat bar and round bar. Will bend a maximum of 80 x 10mm flat in a cold state, and with a bit of heat, we have bent 120 x 30 flat. Virtually indestructable, even with a 22 stone bloke swinging on it - (not me;))
    We have a large piece of tube which slides over the spiggot for leverage.
    Great bit of kit - you don't see them up for sale very often, last one i saw this size went for £300, but well worth the money!:D

Oh, and the Parweld yellow, and dark burning glasses - cool and safe.:cool:

• Ebay2.JPG
    cianh91 and Tinbasherdan like this.
  18. A miracle bender, an ace piece of kit. Only thing i found with mine is if i tried to make a square, it wouldn't touch correctly. possible because it was bending it a little. Was never much hassle used to just lay it on the bench and beat the corners, so it flattened out.

19. scarecrow

scarecrow Outstanding in his field

Ireland
    I never knew I needed one of them this forum is going to break me

20. Hitch

Hitch Moderator Staff Member

Somerset
    Weve got a similar one kicking around somewhere in a dark dusty corner.

Press brake is easier ;)

Advertisements