best tool you ever bought

1. Ratty

Ratty Putting the She in Sheds

Ooo thanks zardoz - podgers all over the shop - I mean forum - at the moment.

2. Drains

Drains Yeah, nah.

Isn't it just after that that he does his best ever line :-
    "my suit's wet, but my Martini's still dry ;)"
    Utter, utter class.

3. Ian B Member

Hey Wozzaaah,

I saw earlier on in this thread that you mentioned searching for mis-spelled items on Ebay - have you seen this?

http://fatfingers.com/

Cheers,

Ian

4. johnphilip Member

hello my first post

would have to say my best investment was a log splitter
    saves on the back and heart :laughing:
    love the site by the way ( its ok to say love:):)

5. Ian B Member

Best tool that I ever bought? Dead easy - this:

[​IMG]

Ian

Tinbasherdan likes this.
  6. oh a rubber ducky, quack quack

7. Welderpaul

Welderpaul Moderator Staff Member

Knuckle boom on that one Ian? i.e digs round corners, scratches its own arse??

8. Ian B Member

Paul,

No, just a straight arm, so I can only cause damage directly in front of me (unless I swipe something with the counterweight of course).

It has double tires in the photo, I've since fitted 700mm singles to it, which do a bit better on my swamp - er - land. I've also moved the boom to its full extension, and that combined with the tires makes it a bit bouncy at times.

But great fun to drive! The photo shows it with a 0.9m3 bucket on, and it'll pick that up full of wet clay at full stretch, no probs. Waaay more power than I'm safe to be let loose with :-)

Ian

9. clairetoo Member

Leicester England
    My best tool purchase - and one of my favorites - has to be my Viceroy lathe that I bought around 22 years ago for a massive £500..............it's getting a bit tired , but it must have payed for itself 20 times over by now !

10. MrFluffy Member

Who do you get to pull you out? Visions of a duck surrounded by big scoops when the grounds too boggy to get anchorage in to pull the weight of the machine through mud :)
    (disclaimer, I have a jcb 3ciii with the same sinkage issues, although I have a front clamshell and a back acter to walk out of trouble with :D)

11. Angusdog

Angusdog Well-meaning amateur

I could rabbit on for ages about rubbish tools I've bought and then broken. Or ones which should have lasted (DeWalt 115mm angle grinder, I'm looking at you...) and didn't. And poorly designed tools. Swivel vices? I want to wale on some metal, not have you turn your head away because your swivel can't be tightened up any more. And your handle that I bent like a pretzel? That's why I had to weld a big socket on instead and use a cheap T-bar to tighten you.

Tools I love:

- a pair of angle grinders. Just bought another B&D one today. Looks identical to the other one but seems to have a 700W motor and the old one has a 900W motor.

- my cheap chinese air compressor. Belt drive, 13cfm and just keeps going. Runs a sandblaster, impact driver, DA sander, inflates tyres and blows dust out of the garage.

- Best of all, my Telwin 150A MIG. This thing just does what it says on the box. I've made loads of stuff with it and enjoyed every minute. When the liner finally packs in I've got a heavy duty BOC euro-connector torch to put on which I picked up cheap a while ago.

If I were a more experienced TIG welder, I'd probably say the AC/DC TIG/Plasma unit but I am yet to get time to make anything useful with it so far. However I got the plasma working nicely today. Small tip: Don't use your big T-square as a straight edge without goggles - took a nick out of it 'cause I was squinting (test cut). Ordered gas goggles five minutes later. And yup I had normal eye protection on, just my welding helmet is too dark.

12. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

I can't think of a tool that springs out as the best as I tend to buy as I need and get decent ones but as valued tools I'd say my ebay Bahco socket set for £60 posted and the cheapest I've seen it at is £150 in shops and a Black and Decker jig saw from the flea market for £15 about 8 years ago. It has variable speed pendulum action and the blade will run so slow you can count the revolutions.

13. SwissTony Member

UK, East Sussex
    2nd hand facom 21 piece 1/2" drive socket set, fantastic condition, looks brand new, all for a whole £3. It came in a RS cantilever toolbox I got on ebay, which came with another 12 different items, including a new set of bacho spanners and other decent goodies, all for £40 deliver.

14. Nimbus Member

W Yorks UK
    Leatherman Wave tool. It gets used every day for something.

Tinbasherdan likes this.
  15. brightspark

brightspark Member

best tool

bought over 30 years ago for £12 .00 and used regular ive just retired it :laughing: found something better and quicker anyone know what its for ;)

• 001.jpg
    • 002.jpg
  16. BeeJay99

BeeJay99 Forum Supporter

B&D Workmate (c1977 with cast alloy legs). Still going strong despite having every abuse but one heaped upon it.

17. Shox Dr

Shox Dr Chief Engineer to Carlos Fandango

Floor board saw

2nd vote for trusty old Black and decker workmate, been using mine all week

18. brightspark

brightspark Member

:laughing:hmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    RIGHT 1ST TIME ;)

19. caprinut New Member

Swansea Valley
    my computer to view this site

20. awemawson Forum Supporter

A portopower hydraulic 10 ton body jack thingy - bought at a boot fair yonks ago for £10 the most useful thing is an expanding wedge. Tuck it under a heavy machine and jack up enough to get a roller in and hey presto even the heavyest machines in my workshop I can move on my own

Advertisements