Alvis Leonides radial

1. Tinbasherdan

Tinbasherdan Bodger in chief

we weigh the blades first to get them somewhere close, then static balance them on a jig, pretty much as the RAF did them in days gone by.

theyre quite a lot less thirsty than my bosses merlin, itll do about a gallon or so for a 10 minute run, so not too bad.

if you have a yearning for one, i know where theres a pair of complete pembroke power units that should be in reasonable nick, and they wont be expensive

Parm, slim_boy_fat and Ruffian like this.
  2. Ruffian Member

Hmmm. . . . .
    Details would be nice also

Tinbasherdan likes this.
  3. Carl Wilson Member

I can't imagine the noise and spectacle of it running on a trailer for ten minutes, I think I'd need a new pair of pants.

I'd love to buy one but at the moment my small shop is consumed with a Harrison Mill refurbishment. I've no space to store it while I got around to doing anything with it.

Oh and if any more old machinery turns up on a lorry outside my house my wife will kill me.

Just out of interest though...where is it and how much!?

4. KemppiFrog Member

Back in Faro, there were a couple of Super Constellations left over from gun running in the Biafra conflict. Since we had connections with the Aero Club, we would 'borrow' bits and pieces for our car projects. We did look at one of the engines to take home, but pretty big things. Three row radials with shaft driven centrifugal superchargers.
    Finally they set about tiding up the airport and scrapped both those and a DC 3 that had had a woopsie and was lying near the main runway.

Just reminded me of another woopsie. We went down to CasaBlanca on our way to Marrakesh and under the approach was what was left of a Russian cargo plane spread over a couple of fields. Obviously been there for a while and certainly made one concentrate on 'getting it right' in the glideslope.

5. Shox Dr

Shox Dr Chief Engineer to Carlos Fandango

I was speaking to a bloke showing one of these at Santa Pod this weekend. Beautiful engine.

2 Merlins either side.

Magic sound

Wallace and Parm like this.
  6. eddie49 Member

slim_boy_fat, Parm and Wallace like this.
  7. Shox Dr

There were 3 jet turbine cars at Santa Pod, and a rocket motor jet bike. Boy that thing shifts:o:clapping:

Wallace likes this.
  8. Tinbasherdan

did you go? our boss was there with his merlin, and our mate was there with his leonides.

the problem with the ex tornado engines is you cant get the FADEC control systems for them. i can however get you a Ghost gas turine if you fancy :D

slim_boy_fat and Wallace like this.
  9. Shox Dr

Yes, it was ace. Spoke to all 3, the taller said he knew you

Tinbasherdan likes this.
  10. Tinbasherdan

the tall one with the leonides or the merlin?

11. Shox Dr

Merlin

12. Tinbasherdan

peter, my boss. hes a good bloke, knows more about merlins than most.

Shox Dr and Wallace like this.
  13. Tinbasherdan

so the next mission , once i can find someone to make me a coil driver is to test run the old girl on its engine stand

14. eddie49 Member

In case anyone has decided that they cannot live without their own Leonides:
    I was leafing through an historic aircraft magazine and saw an advert for an online auction of Percival Provost parts and spares, including piston engines. It is at Ickleton, Cambridgeshire, CB10 1TA. It is run by Cheffins Auctioneers, and is a "timed online auction" starting at 9 a.m on Monday 16. September.

15. Greeves246 Member

Postponed until further notice according to their website. Greeves246

16. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Group buy? :D

Rannsachair and jimbo84 like this.
  17. Tinbasherdan

i have a feeling thats an outfit that was setting out to restore a provost to flight :(

18. KemppiFrog Member

It is one thing to put on your ear defenders an run an old donk on a trailer.. Quite different to getting one to power an aircraft. When you are sitting behind it, you REALLY want it to work as described. Hence the availability of ones that might not make the grade..
    I sat behind a few DH Gypsy 10 series donks. Most were fine, but one dropped a valve and twisted off the cam drive. The resulting lack of noise became a bit interesting:rolleyes: Luckily, there was a convenient field. A bit later, I had the same with a modern Lycoming. That was even more interesting as it was just after take off:o in a fast retractable undercarriage model. We managed a half circuit and landed across the runway, breaking all the rules about turning back, as the bit ahead looked even less inviting.

Shox Dr and slim_boy_fat like this.
  19. Tinbasherdan

there does seem to be a bit of culture with the airworthy brigade to look down on anyone building a ground runner. at the end of the day, the engine still has to be safe, its no good shedding a blade or spitting a rod out the side when youre surrounded by people. some of the engines would require surprisingly little to o back in the air, bar a lot of money for the rebuild. im well aware what it takes to work on an airworthy engine, i have done so

20. KemppiFrog Member

OOps
    Did not intend to run down those who enjoy getting big old engines to run in controled circs. I was more thinking about the paperwork and legislation that comes with it in this day and age if you want to get them in the air, which is multiples of difficult. I have been out of the business for quite a while, but even the last episode, with a Rotax 912 about 14 yrs ago, highlighted the problems if an engine is left for a bit.
    KF

Advertisements