Alvis Leonides radial

1. Tinbasherdan

Tinbasherdan Metal mangler

Feel free to share it on this post, it’s relevant :)

KemppiFrog likes this.
  2. Shox Dr

Shox Dr Chief Engineer to Carlos Fandango

I’ve looked and no can find. The plane will be back in for work soon, I’ll retake it then

Tinbasherdan likes this.
  3. cardiffrob Member

Cardiff/St Athan
    We've got a Piston Provost and an airworthy Percival Sea Prince next door. Provost needs the prop refitting, though. Uses about a quart of oil every week whether you run it or not. 'Horizon' at St Athan.
    I've always liked big round ones.:whistle:

Tinbasherdan likes this.
  4. Tinbasherdan

Oooh who owns/runs them? Call in next time you’re passing and ask if they know of a prop in reasonable but non airworthy nick that would suit a ground runner!!!

Edit: just re read your post and noted horizon at st athan

5. cardiffrob Member

Cardiff/St Athan
    John Sparks runs Horizon. He has a recon prop to go on his flyer but I doubt he has a spare. The ICAT College at Cardiff airport has a partially disassembled Alvis on their grounds that might be another source of info and manuals.

John is also involved in another Provost oop North that has a 'spares ship' with it so might be a good starting point to give him a bell? 01446 750284

6. Wallace

Wallace Member

Found a box in the loft with a reconditioned magneto in, probably came from Coley’s scrapyard. Dated 1966 and in perfect condition with a service tag too. :D

E6799363-AD19-4D9A-A344-A79DA496E1D0.jpeg

stuvy and Shox Dr like this.
  7. Tinbasherdan

As you do :D looks bloody clean. Handy to know where one is in case I need one!

Wallace likes this.
  8. Wallace

Wallace Member

Tempted to stick it on Ebay so it can be become a lamp! :laughing:

stuvy and RWD3M like this.
  9. KemppiFrog Member

Philistine!!!

stuvy, RWD3M and Wallace like this.
  10. Wallace

Wallace Member

:fighting: :D

stuvy and RWD3M like this.
  11. KemppiFrog Member

:D

We were clearing customs at Lydd,on our way to Le Touquet for the w/end and were behind a Carvair (remember them?). When they cranked up those big radials, the cloud of smoke was impressive as they cleared the cylinders of oil.

Wallace and Tinbasherdan like this.
  12. Tinbasherdan

Starting procedure for the Leonides is to manually turn the prop through 18 blades to ensure the bottom cylinders aren’t hydrauliced on oil :D

13. KemppiFrog Member

Just looked up the Carvair and it had 4x P&W Double Wasps. Doubt you would want to hand turn them....

Same trip, going back, we dropped of at Southend. Selected gear down and there was a nasty smell and smoke from under the c/pit. Humm, told ATC and they said b+ off over the sea until you sort it out. Pulled up the access hatch and manually dropped it (Done this in the hanger, but not in airflow. Nearly took my thumb off...)
    Got three greens and rejoined for a straight in approach. No prob, but every emergency vehicle they had were lined up either side of the runway and quite a few spectaters on the roof gallery. One could almost hear the dissapointment as we taxied in :rolleyes:. Did give them a bit of fun later, as we were having charge probs and I had to hand prop it. Not much fun on a Lycoming, as they go round the other way than Brit engines like Gypsys and you have to lean in a bit as lower than a taildragger.

14. Tinbasherdan

Aye the Merlin is bad enough to hand turn! Things like the cheetah have a manual turning handle to take them through a few turns to clear the ports

ronan likes this.
  15. KemppiFrog Member

Didn't the early hurricanes have a flywheel starter system? The flight mech stood on the wing and cranked the f/w up ro speed then the pilot engaged the drive. The old man flew them in France in '39 and I think he remarked on that.

16. cardiffrob Member

Cardiff/St Athan
    Cowlings off, bottom 3 plugs out. You can almost guarantee they are locked up.:(

Tinbasherdan likes this.
  17. Tinbasherdan

Exactly :) it’s what they believe caused the provost that crashed a year or 2 ago to go down

18. Wallace

Wallace Member

KemppiFrog likes this.
  19. Tinbasherdan

Looking at that mag again @Wallace , it might be for the 14cylinder Leonides major, as it doesn’t match whats fitted

20. KemppiFrog Member

On radials, I picked up a really good read a while back. LJK Setright's 'The Power to Fly'. All about his view on the most important advances and engines from the early days up to the start of the jet age. He used to write for Car mag and when I saw the book in a charity shop I was interested.Paid €3. I notice it is a bit more on Amazon:o, but still worth it. Some of his comments on radials might amuse you.
    And, while I am at it, Skunk Works is another good one. The story of Lockheeds U2, SR71 & Stealth aircraft. Written by the guy that ran the place in it's later years.

Advertisements