Alvis Leonides radial

1. Keith 66 Member

Essex UK
    Back in 94 i somehow managed to get a contract up at Pinewood studios working on the sequel to Gone with the Wind a sky mini tv series Scarlett. I hired them a whitehall rowing/sailing boat for a storm scene. I started out as technical adviser & then ended up being stunt double, the wind for the storm scene was provided by two Cheetah radials mounted on what looked like a swiveling field gun mounting, each had a big guard round the prop & had a control panel & hand throttle mounted out to the side for the operator. A Five gallon drum of Avgas stood to one side & went down alarmingly fast when they were revved up. I was in the boat ten yards downwind of them.
    It was bloody great & i will remember the noise of them roaring at full throttle until the day i die.

2. Wallace

Wallace Member

I should have taken a photo under the protective caps, 7 contacts in each.

Tinbasherdan likes this.
  3. Tinbasherdan

Tinbasherdan Metal mangler

That sounds about right, the bth mags on the single row Leonides only has one set of contacts per mag. I should have known really but it didn’t dawn on me

Wallace likes this.
  4. Tinbasherdan

There’s a company in Saudi I believe my boss has done work for that has two ex Shackleton griffons they use as wind machines to test the weather tightness of building fronts. Basically spool the griffin up and empty a fire hose into the prop wash and find out what leaks!!!

Shox Dr and Keith 66 like this.
  5. Tinbasherdan

Might be worth 500e asking his friends if they need a spare mag, it should fit their whirlwind

Wallace likes this.
  6. Wallace

Wallace Member

Thanks Dan, is the Whirlwind airworthy or a ground runner?

Advertisements