60's style Gasser Willys build

1. langy

langy langys rodshop

C&U regs section 15 I think states mudguards to be fitted to catch any water or mud flung from the wheels or something like that, if it's not raining there can be no offence.
    Only once did I go to court over it about 20 years ago and the magistrate threw it out as a waste of court time but I did go well armed and knew my stuff and put up a good defence. You need to know your onions if you go to court or get stopped.
    As it's a C&U offence it's NOT endorsable but you can be given a prohibition order which is removed by having it inspected at an MOT station, but mudguards are not part of an MOT so no problem, see what I meant about a grey area :clapping:

2. brokenbiker

brokenbiker Member

just so we are both on the same page, what do you mean by C&U? and yeah I can see how it could cause a headache if the wrong copper was behind you

3. Robotstar5

Robotstar5 Casanunda Staff Member

Construction & Use regulations 1986 - link

4. brokenbiker

brokenbiker Member

thought so but knowing my luck it would be something different and I would look a fool (not the first time its happened) lol

5. norlander

norlander Member

http://www.amazon.co.uk/EDZ-Climate-Light-Thermal-Helmet/dp/B001U9AAOQ langys xcused for not knowing about these as he is a shopping trolley builder:D (ace build mate, and I ran the vid of the start up-brill sound-almost as good as my harley:whistle:) but BB gets to sit on the naughty step for not knowing his biking gear is good for working in (well-some of it).
    Over here you can get microfibre cloth bundle of 5 for about a fiver and they make great sweat rags for wiping your mush, another bit of biking kit is this: http://www.buffwear.co.uk/ss14-adult-headwear/ss14-high-uv-pro-buff wet em under the cold tap and slap round yr neck.

6. norlander

norlander Member

I ride my harley with no front guard-never had any probs over here, got mentioned - ie commented once by plod in UK some years ago-he just asked could I see where I was going if it rained-I said yes-if I couldn't see-I'd stop-it may be a harley but I'm not a complete muppet.But on the bike, you get jet washed with no front guard-the hot rodders just hide behind the windscreen and laugh at me-but I don't care coz I'm hard core-and very very very wet everywhere,
    Never failed an MOT with it in UK.

7. brokenbiker

brokenbiker Member

had one of those, didn't work. All well and good wetting it but the inside of your helmet stays damp and starts to smell so needs washing a lot.

never used one under a welding hat though, threw mine out ages ago so no chance me trying it soon either lol

8. norlander

norlander Member

I don't wet the skull cap, just the neck tube- helmet never gets wet (crash helmet that is before any witty git pounces) -I've tries wearing the buff tubes on my bonce and can't get on with them.

9. langy

langy langys rodshop

Still doing minor changes to the car, changing bits i'm not entirely happy with, one of these was the solid engine mounts, I gave them a try but couldn't live with the vibes to be honest so I picked up a pair of hockey pucks which I drilled out, I also turned up a couple of aluminium cups for the pucks to sit in and it gives a bit of side support to stop them squishing out sideways.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also changed the rear windows, I originally had 1/4" acrylic but was never happy with the look, they seemed too thick, anyway I changed them for 1/8" and now they look much better.

[​IMG]

norlander and brokenbiker like this.
  10. norlander

norlander Member

Nice one on the hockey pucks, I used skate board wheels for something similar and than went on to use them as crash bungs on my bike for track days.

brokenbiker likes this.
  11. langy

langy langys rodshop

The hockey pucks were only a £1 each :clapping:

12. norlander

norlander Member

:clapping: ace-where d'you buy em from-the local rink I guess?

13. Notice you are using star bolts in some places there, is that for looks or some other reason?

14. langy

langy langys rodshop

Ebay mate

15. langy

langy langys rodshop

Star bolts ??? Not sure what you mean Ritchie :dontknow:
    Do you mean the 12 point bolts ?

16. brokenbiker

brokenbiker Member

spline head bolts? Torx head bolts?

17. langy

langy langys rodshop

I havn't used any of them, maybe he means the castle nuts, i'm confused now :dontknow:

18. brokenbiker

brokenbiker Member

bracket holding the alternator on looks to have 'star' bolts on it

19. langy

langy langys rodshop

There are no star bolts on the car, they are 12 point ARP bolts

20. brokenbiker

brokenbiker Member

ARP? I don't really delve into different types of bolts, just whatever I can get out of the stores in work, usually either hex head or cap head stainless.

when doing the brakes on my car I had bolts similar to those holding the carriers on but a normal 13mm socket got them off with no problem

Advertisements