25 year old Alfa 75 back from the brink (hopefully)

1. northwest

northwest Member

This may be a "family friendly forum" but if we allow reality to permeate for just a moment: How many families gather round the computer, "look boys and girls, let's learn Mig Welding". It is just a nod to political correctness. I am not very.

Reality needs to rear it's head once in a while and pragmatism needs to take hold. I swear, quite readily too but someone of my acquaintance swears so needlessly I avoid him if possible. There are always degrees.

2. northwest

northwest Member

Just to catch the full spectrum, not just Family Friendly, we need to consider Pets too. This book has helped me understand our West Highland Terrorist just that little better.

Exuptoy and Dcal like this.
  3. Hudders New Member

Hi Dcal,

I'm just about to undertake the same bulkhead repair around the centre vent that has rotted away. I was wondering if you could remember the thickness of the steel required for the bulkhead, also, did you use a thinner gauge for the vent shroud?

4. Dcal

Dcal Forum Supporter

Hi @Hudders
    Welcome to the forum.
    Good to hear of another 75 getting some TLC, I hope you are going to start a thread on your repair.

The steel I used was 1mm for the bulkhead and 0.8 for the rest as that matched what was there.
    The steel that formed the air intake vent might have been even thinner but I stuck with 0.8.
    I still have the bits that I cut out, so will measure later and confirm.

The bulkhead repair is easy, but the shroud and the vent are really awkward to get to fit nicely to the bulkhead.
    How bad is yours?
    I took the whole shroud off because I had to fix the bonnet hinge areas.
    If you can, just cut enough of the central section out to give access.

Good luck and as I still haven't finished mine, I can get any dimensions you might need.

Exuptoy likes this.
  5. Hudders New Member

Thanks Dcal, that's very helpful info, and yes, I probably will start a thread on the 75 as I'm very much a beginner in welding so you can all have a laugh.

I've been doing my research, both in the 75 which landed me on an Australian Alfa forum with a rebuild that you were also following, that brought me here which is a happy coincidence as its just the place to help me with the bodywork, I've been taking notes of what paint to use and the how-to weld sections.

My bulkhead is quite bad looking at it from the engine bay, the shroud turned to dust and even the vent cutout is bad, that part that the drain tube held onto had dissolved some time ago. so it looks bad but the wing ends around the hinge from the outside at least look ok, I'll know for sure when I get the dash out. I intend to do the cut to the scuttle to give me access but I don't want to go as far as you went, taking the screen out and the whole shroud is getting in deeper than I'm comfortable with, I'm even hoping to keep the engine in but I do wonder how painful it will be trying to weld whilst lying on the engine.

Dimensions would be super helpful if it's not to much trouble, I don't suppose you have the template you made for that cover do you?

Anyhow here's a couple of pictures of my 75, I bought it in January as I've always wanted one, it's been stripped into a kind of track day car so that put people off keeping the price down a bit, I do intend to track day it as well as take it on Alfa runs. It does have an MOT and I want to have it as a running project but I'm not doing anything till the bulkhead has been fixed, how that didn't get spotted on the last mot ill never know.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

DavidS16, scottmk1, Ton-up and 3 others like this.
  6. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Nice Turbo coupe poking its nose out there :thumbup:, yours too?

7. Hudders New Member

Not mine but the guy that sold me the 75, he did have it for sale at the time on fleebay.
    But I did have an Alfa GTV 916 which I think was based on the same platform.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  8. Dcal

Dcal Forum Supporter

Dimensions would be super helpful if it's not to much trouble, I don't suppose you have the template you made for that cover do you?

I'll check later and if I don't still have the template I'll make you one and can post it or could scan and email you a PDF.
    Do you have the plastic grill for the air intake? It's a good place to start.

Keeping the screen and engine in place shouldn't be a problem.
    I took the screen out to repair some rot to the screen surround and I repaired the bulkhead with the engine in place (Took the engine out later of course)

9. Hudders New Member

I don't have the plastic cover but there was this mesh cover that I have kept.
    [​IMG]

Dcal and slim_boy_fat like this.
  10. Hudders New Member

Were are you at with yours, I was enjoying watching the rebuilds of yours and the Aussie chap, need to see a finished car, it's just like project Binky, it's never ending.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  11. Dcal

Dcal Forum Supporter

There's a fair chance that grill is not an OE part.

IMG_0239.JPG

Found the bits I cut out but not the template.

IMG_0229.JPG

The bulk head is 1mm the shroud 0.7 and the air intake 0.65

I can't get at the bulk head easily at the moment (it on the lift and there's a bloody tractor underneath) but I will be able to get you templates if / when you need them.

Mine is stalled.
    I have it in primer and I need to get it painted when the weather picks up.
    I bought it to do wee bit and get it on the road, didn't work out that way

Need to get back to it or I'll be dead before it's finished.

Roberto and slim_boy_fat like this.
  12. Hudders New Member

Your right there, that grill is propper home made, the plastic one you have is how it should be, I guess this was made after the grill fell inside the car
    Don't suppose there is a part number printed on that plastic cover?

Thanks again for the measurements, it's so helpful, means I can get the steel in advance and practice with that gauge.

Advertisements