Yet another 110, but this time with a cummins

1. sako243

sako243 Member

@Tinbasherdan sure you're aware but Disco axles aren't technically rated for a 110 although no one seems to know the actual physical differences between the two. Not saying don't do it but expect some backlash from t'internet.

Other than that looking good.

2. Kayos

Kayos Member

I love internet, or more accurately facebook comments. I used to take my D2 all over. Greenlaning and pay&play days. Never lifted it or fitted mud tyres, just all terrains and a snorkel. Went everywhere a massively lifted and modified defender or Disco would, after being told countless times it was no good.

Actually I fitted one other mod, some recovery points bolted to the chassis rails, used once to pull a 90 out of a river when the owner realised confidence was not enough to get through

Parm, stuvy and slim_boy_fat like this.
  3. 8ob

8ob Forum Supporter

Dan I am surprised you never went for a Salisbury axle :dontknow:

Bob

stuvy likes this.
  4. Ton-up

Ton-up Member

Especially with 37's and a Cummins..:whistle:

stuvy likes this.
  5. Shox Dr

Shox Dr Chief Engineer to Carlos Fandango

When I had my 90, I asked Blanchards which was the better halfshaft setup, they said they gad no more 10 spline been purchased than 24, I can only draw from that they were no liable to snap then the 24s.
    Never heard that disco axles were different.

6. Tinbasherdan

Tinbasherdan Bodger in chief

1200 notes for a salisbury front! Rear is stock salisbury though. 4pin should hold though

only remaining part of the disco axle is the casing and the halfshafts, everything else was bought as defender parts (not that there’s the slightest bit of difference)

Rannsachair and Shox Dr like this.
  7. pressbrake1

pressbrake1 Forum Supporter

essex england
    I swapped a front ex Northern Ireland riot van Salisbury axle for a big norton fly press. At the time a good swap but now Salisbury are so dear I messed up.

My memory is fading but if you ever get Salisbury axles a trick is to buy Dana 70 lockers which fit and will allow you to fit full size rear half shafts if you make new stub axles. Can’t remember details but I did the machining.
    On the front land cruiser halfshafts can be modified.

Only rover would get world class Dana 60 axles, make the carrier even stronger but then fit half shafts that are barely good enough for a car

Tinbasherdan and stuvy like this.
  8. Tinbasherdan

That’s interesting to know!

9. mr migwire

mr migwire It's more fun with metal.

mazda seat wiring as i remember it mate. Yellow Plug - SRS bin this, Seat Motion - Thick Grey +12V, Thick Purple Ground, Lumber - Yellow Red Trace +12V, White Yellow Trace Ground, Seat Heater - Blue +12V

HopefullySoon, Tinbasherdan and stuvy like this.
  10. Tinbasherdan

Cheers :) airbags been removed from the seats completely, hate handling those things!!

slight progress made today, could not for the life of me work out why I had no relays in the fuse box. Checked, and lo and behold no earth. Finally discovered where the break was and we have a full working harness once more :)

stuvy, mr migwire and slim_boy_fat like this.
  11. Tinbasherdan

I’ll bet you’ve got a stash of them somewhere :D

stuvy likes this.
  12. sako243

sako243 Member

I've spent so long wandering around his yard waiting for him to show up when he's "5 mintues away" I can confirm he has a stash of axles. But rather ironically I only know of one disc braked Salisbury (which I gave him) and it was a rear not a front.

Tinbasherdan and stuvy like this.
  13. Tinbasherdan

CF16B8BB-7EB0-4781-8D68-BB76ACC2168A.jpeg 41660D3C-352A-426F-9502-806B56E5E7BF.jpeg

Not much to report, picked up this superwinch h14 for not a lot as some chimp had booted the hell out of the freespool lever trying to force it across and broken the shear pin. 10 mins and all is well again, just waiting on the drum seals to turn up.

also had to make a spring loaded plunger to hold the freespool handle engaged
    Originally a mechanical pto winch, the sprag clutch on the Landy mech pto downrates them to 3.6t pull. I’m changing to to hydraulic, which give it the full rating of 6.5t line pull. Just need to get hold of a hydraulic motor to suit now, as I got a pto unit and pump that fits to the main box

14. tom2207 Member

Snatch land rovers , that used to get thrown away by the bucket load are now starting to get expensive , friend of mine sold a basket case for 3 1/2 k only a few months ago , and it was driven hard and put away wet. but reasonably complete , it was going for a full restoration it went to a couple of brothers outside Stroke city.

15. Tinbasherdan

Was a time you could pick up a ratty snatch 110 for under a grand

stuvy likes this.
  16. sako243

sako243 Member

Why does the mechanical PTO down-rate it? All the linkages aren't up to snuff?

17. tom2207 Member

I have a friend who used to have nearly as many as withams , ive a picture some where of about fifty of them sitting at the bottom of the field , perfect chassis and bulkheads ,, the value was in the tyres ,they were priced so low , the police here ran on Michelin road tyres and they were 8 ply from memory , but they fitted merc vans ,,, and back then no one wanted mxl's as they hummed going down the road , so kids threw rocks at ya ,,, glad that times have changed some what.

stuvy likes this.
  18. Tinbasherdan

It has a clutch that disengages beyond a certain torque, the drop ptos aren’t the strongest units

sako243 likes this.
  19. tom2207 Member

Ive a picture some where of a 3 cyl gardner in a s3 ,,, must see if i can find it , wouldnt imagine it was a ball of fire , but ill bet it pulled well

20. tom2207 Member

s2 gardener 2.jpg s2 gardener 2.jpg

jimbo84, Ton-up, mr migwire and 2 others like this.
Advertisements