Worth Looking at a centec 2A?

1. Rannsachair

Rannsachair Forum Supporter

Hi folks every so often i look at getting a small mill, and saw this come up on Gumtree not too far away from me: https://www.gumtree.com/p/other-pow...ment-co.-centec-2a-milling-machine/1335119598

Currently i just use a milling vice attachment on my ML7 [​IMG] and this would certainly give more capacity. Space is very limited and will need a major reorganisation of my garage even for this.

After some advice -

Does it seem a reasonable buy? the seller assures me its in perfect condition.

Anything to look out for?

I was looking at Dore Westbury's - would this be a better machine.

I would be using it mainly for small motorcycle parts, making small jigs etc.

Thanks.

2. Dieselkid 63

Dieselkid 63 Banned from forklifts

That looks lovely. It wouldn't last long at that price here.

A significant bonus is you get a lot of tooling with it, and it looks like it's been cared for. I vote buy.

garethp, gaz1, Hopefuldave and 3 others like this.
  3. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

look up dor westbury on the forums some go for a right price but all depends on if you get extrss as well

for me buying an older model at a nice price i can do the adaptiins for it

your area is worse for buying certain tools at the right price

4. brewdexta

brewdexta Member

Yorkshire
    Go for it, easily worth it with all that tooling

5. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

If you can ''sensibly' reorganise to accommodate it, I'd say go for it - all the tooling and bits that come with it are worth a good bit on their own.

fizzy, Rannsachair and MattF like this.
  6. MattF

MattF Member

As the others have said, just the included tooling alone is a good few bobs worth, & that machine looks tidy.

rikrobson, Rannsachair and brewdexta like this.
  7. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

ive pmed yiu some references so take a look

Rannsachair likes this.
  8. rikrobson

rikrobson Member

It's well worth it at that price.

Dont dither or you will loose it.

9. Arc Tourist

Arc Tourist Member

I would say don't hesitate, go for it !
    It has the very desirable Mark 3 vertical head which alone is worth the price.

The Dore Westbury mills were sold as a kit, and required the purchaser to machine some of the parts to build it, so quality can vary.

julianthegypsy, Rannsachair and gaz1 like this.
  10. Rannsachair

Deposit paid :)

garethp, Dieselkid 63, MBB and 7 others like this.
  11. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

all i can say is if you get that tool box as well with all tools in it and milling machine its as close to a looked after machine

just check for wear on the machine but do expect some wear due to its age

Rannsachair likes this.
  12. Arc Tourist

Arc Tourist Member

I don't think you will be disappointed, its both a vertical and horizontal mill which is highly sought after by model engineering enthusiasts. By the look of it, it has been restored and very well cared for. :) Although not shown in the photos, there should be an overarm support arm for the horizontal arbor with it.

Have a look on the ……. " lathes.co.uk " website, scroll down the page and click on Centec, where you will find a wealth of information about the machine and accessories there.

Rannsachair likes this.
  13. Rannsachair

Well spotted I have emailed photo's to make sure it is looked out. I have had a good look at the photo's on lathes.c.o.uk, looks quite a heavy little machine.

14. Rannsachair

The seller does not know anything about metal working machines, but had a friend who is an engineer look at them, he also has an ML7 for sale with lots of parts https://www.gumtree.com/p/lathes/myford-7-lathe-with-very-extensive-collection-of-tooling/1334991630 - As I have an ML7 I had a look at the photo's of the parts he is selling with it and there are a few I do not recognise, anyone with any Centec knowledge know if any of the parts with the lathe look like they belong the Centec?

Thanks

15. fizzy Forum Supporter

uk
    That is a stunning machine - looks like the poor bloke who passed away really looked after his stuff. I bet he would be very pleased to know it is going to a good home! I would love that myself!

When I bought my Colchester Triumph for £300 the bloke said I could have everything else as he had to move out. He was a retired toolmaker and said he would rather give it away to someone who appreciated it than sell it to some idiot who might scrap it. That is how I acquired my Elliot Sturdimill and 10M shaper!

16. Arc Tourist

Arc Tourist Member

On page 8 at the bottom of the photo, there may be draw bars for mill's vertical head ?
    On page 5 at the left of the photo, there appears to be a keyless chuck, which " if " the MT2 arbor on it has a threaded top piece (?), it would have been used for both mill & lathe.

Rannsachair likes this.
  17. mm289 Member

Dover, Kent
    Can't see anything in the ML7 box that looks 2a ish. As said above that is a steal at that price, the adjustable vertical head is very sought after and worth the price on its own. Also looks like some nice milling tools with it:clapping:

The arbour for the horizontal milling is in pic 4 and it looks like the drawbars are in pic 3.

They are a great small mill and actually don't weigh a lot. You can take the vertical head off quite easily (4 bolts loosened and slides of the dovetails) and it is then a very easy two man lift, goes in the boot of a car etc.

Here is a pic of mine before it was stripped to scrape in the beds and replace the head bearings. Also got a VFD and 3 phase motor to fit, it has a small single phase which won't run up the vertical mill at high speeds.

2015-09-01 21.54.04.jpg

If you need any more pics ping me but it looks like it just needs plugging in and start making chips:thumbup:

Cheers,

Paul.

18. Rannsachair

Excellent, it will be massive upgrade to the ML7 Milling attachment, though I have not used a proper Mill for over 30 years - Bridgeport. I have already been thinking making a raising block for the horizontal head would be fun to do on the machine it is for.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  19. julianthegypsy Member

I had one of these, and sadly had to sell it when my back packed up. Cracking bit of kit!

Rannsachair and gaz1 like this.
  20. grim_d

grim_d Forum Supporter

I'm sad I missed that, just up the road from me.

Good amount of tooling with it too by the looks of it. My gear never comes with anything!

Good buy, enjoy it!

Rannsachair and gaz1 like this.
Advertisements