Workshop and life hints, tips, tricks, safety and best practice

1. arther dailey

arther dailey Member

hmmm, grease an electric motor s bearings while its running? well I was in the rewind game for years and first ive heard of that, never ever seen it done , and wouldnt expect to as most have pulleys cogs etc attatched ,so personally thats probably anti safety, two pump of grease stationary and unplugged! is enough , its not like petrol in an engine it doesnt get burnt up.

gordon stephenson and Robbie260 like this.
  2. Robbie260 Member

the greatest irony is that common sense aint that common.

3. Robbie260 Member

Thanks for that its interesting its the accepted standard practice in my industry for all electric motors even ones that weigh well over a ton (of course the bigger the motor more grease is used), probably someone thought it would distribute the grease through the bearing more effectively if done while the motor was running and the procedure/logic has stuck at some point. Maybe why we all are continuously sending motor off to be rewound.

4. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

Old welding leads/earth cables can be made into great rotary earths when welding round parts or something you don’t want any arc strikes on.

• 00F796F6-F398-4E95-9DB6-FD149410ED56.png
    barking mat and Robbie260 like this.
  5. nickk Forum Supporter

Observe when cutting framework with a disc cutter,there’s tension within the fabrication,so stop short of cutting right thru,leave a whisker,and cut the last bit with a saw.

Robbie260 likes this.
  6. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

Very useful graphic on the proper nomenclature of allen/hex grub screws

• D4DF7BD3-55F1-4FEE-81CA-4FF3275B8171.png
    dobbslc, James1979, optima21 and 5 others like this.
  7. addjunkie

addjunkie Member

You also need to be careful greasing ex motors as you can damage the ex rating.

Brad93 and Robbie260 like this.
  8. Arc Tourist

Arc Tourist Forum Supporter

Its confusing overseas as well, where kerosene is considered a fuel, and paraffin is a type of wax often used to slick up surfaces such as a saw table.

zx9 and jerrytug like this.
  9. brightspark

brightspark Member

nowadays u need a job method to do the simplest of tasks .no one has a mind of there own or any common sense and needs guidance . im glad im the age I am because all this crap that is fiested up on us nothing gets done:vsad:

Arc Tourist and dobbslc like this.
  10. Robbie260 Member

I take it you are meaning intrinsically safe motors, i.e. explosion proof.

11. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

A useful bit of engineering maths.

If you want to work out the perfect size of a circle, with two or more bigger circles to be touching all the way round. This is how you do it.
    You can see in the photo of the aluminium farriers toolbox what I used the calculation for.

• 6E0C93F6-BB92-471D-9FF0-043A1453E4BC.jpeg
    • 661AC242-7978-4822-87DB-E3629CA44036.jpeg
    Arc Tourist, jimbo84, Wany and 3 others like this.
  12. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

Paraffin fuel oil (kerosene) is distilled and is a petrochemical by product, mineral oil. Liquid paraffin is refined mineral oil and is used in cosmetics.

Robbie260 likes this.
  13. Lewis_RX8

Lewis_RX8 Member

Those things look like they would eat a few fingers for breakfast.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  14. dobbslc

dobbslc Member

It feels like pushing a tank up hill some days on site with all the RAMS nonsense! Especially HS2 sites! :vsad:

Mmm I managed to switch one on once while I was holding it with my fingers by the blade!
    Took a chunk out one of them and the plane still has the bent foot plate were I slung it at the floor!
    It got switched on by the palm of my hand accidentally pushing in the lock button! I'm a lefty and this is a real problem with power tools that is generally ignored by the manufacturers!
    We need a lefty revolution to sort this one out! "Power to the popular lefty front" :artist:

9. No words for this one.....
    20200519_091639.jpg

slim_boy_fat and Robbie260 like this.
  15. Agroshield Member

It would be helpful if you could edit your post to note that 'n' is the number of external circles touching. In this case, it is 5, for the bottom of the stand. The piece of paper shows three circles, only two of which are relevant to the 'n' in the formula and which are themselves an abbreviated version of the problem.

It is also necessary to say that the angles of which you take the sine are in radians. Put sin(pi/5) into the calculator on your phone and you will not get the correct answer.

This is also a life tip: when doing any calculation, at least have some idea of the ballpark in which the answer lies. Pi is about 3, so pi/5 is about 0.6. Sine ranges from 0 to 1 as the degrees range from 0 to 90, so sine of 0.6 degrees is very small (nowhere near 0.59).

James1979 and Robbie260 like this.
  16. Agroshield Member

To be fair, that has more restraints against movement on it (looks like six in total) than many vehicles I see jacked up on people's driveways.

Robbie260 likes this.
  17. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

You are of course correct.

The angles are in radians and n is for the number of outside circles.

I use a scientific calculator so switching between radians and degrees is easy.

Robbie260 likes this.
  18. addjunkie

addjunkie Member

Intrinsically safe refers to equipment like instrumentation designed as such it cant release enough electrical energy to create an ignition source in a hazardous enviroment. Usually done using a "barrier" in the circuit in a safe area.

Ex is equipment designated for use in hazardous areas where flamable gasses may or may not be present. There are different classes from gas always present to it might be there, if things go pete tong.

Worth learning about if you ever go the tanker route.

Robbie260 likes this.
  19. rtcosic

rtcosic Member

Pedant Mode <On>
    Pet Hate Mode <On>

For at least 40 years the recommended English spelling is Kerosine with an i in the same way as Gasoline. Kerosene and Gasolene spelling went out with the Motor Spirit nomenclature (except for HMRC). However an astonishing number of marketers use the obsolete spelling of Kerosene. Just another thing they do to annoy us.

Our colonial cousins of course mix and match and usually spell the fuels as Kerosene and Gasoline.

Having spent my working life in the industry I put Petrol in my car, but made MoGas, DERV in a lorry but made ADO Automotive Diesel Oil. I used Paraffin for degreasing but made DPK - Dual Purpose Kerosine which met both the Domestic Kerosine and AvTur (Aviation Turbine fuel, Jet Fuel) specifications. DPK of course is not to be confused with the Class C1 Paraffin that should be used in Flueless Appliances like a Tilley Lamp - but we all knew that. These acronyms varied from company to company.

The 'modern' product Paraffin wax to differentiate from the traditional product Beeswax. Liquid Paraffin is a pharmaceutical term not an oil industry one, so I have no idea of its origin and I'm not entirely sure I would ever want to use it as 'stool lubricant'. Maybe WD40 instead?

Pedant Mode <Off>
    Pet Hate Mode <Off>

Vaguely on Topic, possibly useful Mode <On>

Another angle grinder spark target to avoid is steel wool - I set fire to 0000 grade steel wool in an open topped plastic box on an above head height shelf about 2 metres from where I was working.

20. Robbie260 Member

Thanks will look into that.

Advertisements