Which of the 2 welders should i go for help???

1. Country Joe Argoshield Dark

Hey, no worries - maybe it was shonky in some way.
    I was thinking that it was just cosmetic, due to the time spent in a workshop - as they're quite well known for their reliability, generally.

If he gets back to you, just let me know & I can always nip over there, myself - just to take a look.
    I thought it might just be because it wasn't as straight forward a sale as he'd like, and he maybe thought the arrangements were getting too complicated.

If you should end up coming up this way anyway - just PM me if you want to have a try at welding - you'd be able to run a bead of weld quite quickly, and if you ended up having to go to see one solo - you'd already have an idea of how a welder operates, and be able to do a quick test on any other welder, just to see if it worked, at least.

But, as you said, if he comes back to you, just let me know - I'm rarely all that far from Bath.

All the Best,
    CJ

2. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

ive pmed you

its up to you just remember you buy good it will last or better still should last

3. Country Joe Argoshield Dark

I've just PM'd you, too!

CJ

4. Country Joe Argoshield Dark

But you can ignore about half of it, as the migatronic has sold, now!
    CJ

5. Country Joe Argoshield Dark

You can ignore that, too - as it's just been re-listed!
    CJ

6. Country Joe Argoshield Dark

The only other one I've seen anywhere close to you is this clarke 110.
    It's not really that close, either - 1-2 hours (of mostly M25) away, across London - but looks decent, and the clarke welders are quite well thought of.

Just a thought.

CJ

7. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

clarke 110 is gasless i do believe

Country Joe likes this.
  8. Country Joe Argoshield Dark

Whoops, sorry! The E-bay ad only has one photo - and it's from the front, so I didn't notice that!
    I must admit I've only used a couple of clarkes before, and they both used gas - neither was a 110, though.

I also didn't put in a link for it, so here it is:-

LINK HERE.

Got to nip out, now - or I'll be late!

All the Best,
    CJ

9. Country Joe Argoshield Dark

Sorry, screwed that up!
    It's been a long day already!

This is the link.

All the Best,
    CJ

10. Country Joe Argoshield Dark

I'm not sure that all of the clarke 110e welders are gasless only.
    There are definitely a few clarke models that are, though.

This one (link here) at machine mart is a gas or gasless version, and looks very similar to the one in the advert.

All the Best,
    CJ

11. Country Joe Argoshield Dark

Just as this guy says - I'd still not write off the migatronic if it was still available.
    CJ

12. 123hotchef Member

I saw that on ebay the other day was it near me? I would happily go and try it out for you if it is the one I saw

Country Joe likes this.
  13. Tony-D-1976 Member

After so much help from some admiral people on here I finally purchased the migatronic. Can’t wait to get it home ASAP now and have a play!!
    A big thank you to CJ for all your help and advice this purchase would not have been possible without you and your kindness.

slim_boy_fat and 123hotchef like this.
  14. Country Joe Argoshield Dark

Oi! Knock it off - I’m embarrassed already!:ashamed::laughing:

Plus, he only lives about one village away from here, so I didn’t travel too far (less than 10 minutes) - I’d assumed he was in Bath - ie the City.

I think the only person really left confused in all of this is probably the seller!

He was un-aware that I wasn’t the actual buyer, and I think he’d moved it out of his carpentry workshop, so as to maintain some security, by way of privacy - which is understandable, as there was a lot of kit in there, and a rural workshop always feels a bit vulnerable.

To this end, I know how he feels - I’m not too keen on folk visiting any of my “workspaces”, for the same reason!

When I gave him the long-winded explanation of who I was, and who you were, and how you’d un-expectedly had a baby arrive 10 days early etc - I think he still thought I was taking it away there & then!

I’m guessing you’ve given him a call, so he knows what’s happening.
    When I tried to call you from his place, but didn’t get through - he sort of looked at me as if you might just be some-one imaginary!

I think he was maybe a bit concerned that you’d clicked “buy it now”, and nobody else could come & see it from that point!

Also, I probably wouldn’t drive anything too big to pick it up - some of the lanes around here are only just usable tracks!

All the Best,
    CJ

15. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

shut up you cj and take the complement :D

thats what i liked about this forum its something you dont see on many forums out there

and nowadays i give back what i can do to the forum and still learning more

oh yeah just one thing you will soon get the want for many things on here, even ive got a fair few stuff now and i only come on for a mig welder advice

i presume you bought this one im not posting the add link thats your business not the forums

miga1.jpg miga2.jpg miga3.jpg

if i remember correctly migatronic was a nice model to use

Country Joe likes this.
  16. eddie49 Member

Looks like it comes with some some gas welding gear ( ? ) , and it has a 2-prong "spot welding shroud" on the end of the Eurotorch.

123hotchef likes this.
  17. Country Joe Argoshield Dark

Those gas tips don't come with it, as far as I know - they weren't there when I called by yesterday.
    Having said that, he may well think they are something to do with the MIG, as he's not really into welding.

The welder belonged to the father of a friend - but he died, and his son inherited it.

And then the guy I met was wanting to give welding a try, which I believe he did. But with neither of them really being into welding, operating from a workshop made of wood and full of sawdust on a very windy hill in the Mendips I think they decided to sell it & they'd split the proceeds.

I'm not sure it is a euro-torch - but I'm quite old, and it was yesterday when I saw it!
    But it does require a very light trigger pressure.

The photos don't really do it justice, but it's just as-is. He hasn't cleaned it up or anything as far as I could make out, but with the carpentry (fitting out of boats) he does, I imagine it's more in the way, than anything else.

I did take a cylinder with me, but with the amount of wind there was in the outside area I tried it out in, you could hardy tell - I think the reg was on about 20 lpm at the time!
    But there were also multiple reasons why I couldn't weld inside the workshop - which I fully understood.

The seller did appear very suddenly, and I nearly had a heart attack at the time - I kid you not!

Also I didn't really get the fellow's name, so can't be of any help there, either - but I couldn't really stand there getting him to keep repeating it for too long, without it getting embarrasing for both of us!

Bear in mind that I'm no spring chicken, and it was quite a windy day on an exposed hill, and maybe I was gleaning more from lip-reading than any sound I could actually make out, but I think his name was Rooee. Like Rooney the footie player, but without the 'n' sound in the middle!

Anyway, if I go into too many more (non-relevant, I know!) details, you'll get to feel a tiny part of that that shock that I experienced when his face appeared so suddenly & in such close proximity, that day!

So I'm off!

All the Best,
    CJ

I dunno if "Rooee?" is gonna see this, so I will say, it's not that he's such a shocking sight - it's just that I'm very un-observant and wasn't really expecting to see anyone at that very moment!

TurtleDude likes this.
  18. Tony-D-1976 Member

Migatronic safely at home now!!
    Thank you once again

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  19. Country Joe Argoshield Dark

Good on you, Tony.

A lot of folk, suddenly having a new-born kid appear (an obviously un-scheduled!) ten days early, might not have got around to getting all of that organised - especially given the distance etc.

I was fairly sure the gas equipment wouldn't be included with the mig, partly because it wasn't around when I nipped down there on Tuesday.

I expect you worked out from my message last night that I know 3/5 of F/A about gas gear, but I'd probably stick the boxes of "stuff" on the "Used equipment for sale" section of the Forum, if I had no plans to get into gas.

With my lack of knowledge, I can't even tell if they're for oxy/acetylene or oxy/propane use, but a couple of more detailed shots would probably sort all of that out for the folk on here who are more "in the know" about these items!

Oh, and the curry last night was about as good as it gets!

I probably wasn't all that expansive in my replies last night - I was having that fine afore-mentioned curry down at a "long-lost brother's" place - one of very many "long-lost" siblings that I had no idea even existed untill just a year ago - which, to me, is still sort of odd, to say the least!
    We're all still catching up after a long-ish (fifty-something) year gap!

Anyway, I expect you're pretty much sleep-starved by now, so won't have too much time for welding in the immediate future!

Just a (way off-topic) thought - one day, in what feels like the distant future, your kid will learn to drive - and at that point (and maybe even for a year or two after!) you might just look back on those early sleepless periods filled with the stench of filthy faeces-filled nappies, and the piercing noise that it seems only a new-born can make, and consider those early days the easiest part, by far!

Just don't ask how I know this!

Gotta go.
    All the Best,
    CJ

Tony-D-1976 likes this.
  20. Tony-D-1976 Member

CJ

If its ok with U I would like to keep in contact with you as I plan on coming down to you with the welder and maybe take you up on a lesson at your convenience in the new year.

enjoy the rest of your weekend you sir are a true gentleman

Advertisements