What is the best way to fix this

1. Jlg

Jlg Member

Yeah I was surprised by the price they said I have ordered some of them rods and they should be here in 2 weeks so I'll see if they work looking at the video they should work

2. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

I reckon they just didn't want the work...£150 is a bit steep I think.

I was very happy with the brazing so I bought some spare rods just in case. For mine I used MAPP gas which burns hotter but I think they will work with butane as the melt temp isn't really all that high anyway.

3. Jlg

Jlg Member

I've got mapp gas one of the other shops wanted £60 a hour and said it would take 4 hours

4. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

Geez...I might buy the Tig machine and ultrasonic cleaner and set myself up.

I though £40 max!

5. wyn

wyn Member

Could you get a bit of aluminium rod for around £3 from b&q or Wickes and make one.
    Thats if the butterfly bit is screwed onto the rod.

6. Jlg

Jlg Member

I was expecting to go in and pay about £30-35 but at that price I didn't bother

7. Jlg

Jlg Member

The butterflie is held on with 2 billt in rivets so I couldn't make one I think them rods will work but we'll just have to se

8. Jlg

Jlg Member

That price of £45 a hour
    was just for welding it they said it was very intricate and would be time consuming

9. Wallace

Wallace Member

Is the shaft that passes through the choke butterfly steel or the same material as the lever? If it was me I would turn up shaft and fabricate a lever that bolts in. The shaft needs to be pretty accurate to accept the seals.

10. Jlg

Jlg Member

It is all the same

11. Greeves246 Member

12. Jlg

Jlg Member

13. BarrieJ

BarrieJ Member

Sorry if you've already tried it but eBay? My mate bought a replacement new carb for an SS50 off eBay for about £20, worked fine. Is the SS50 basically the same engine as the C50? There's a secondhand C50 carb on there now (15.37 p.m.) with an hour and twenty mins to go, three bids and at £7.00. Best of luck whichever route you go.

Wallace likes this.
  14. Wallace

Wallace Member

Early C50 had a downdraft carb and the motorcycle versions such as the SS50 & 65 had a sidedraft on a swept manifold. Later stepthrough bikes were sidedraft.

Jlg likes this.
  15. Jlg

Jlg Member

While waiting for the brazing rods to turn up I phoned a shop where I got my other bits from and they had just finished rebuilding a carb the same as min so I bought it and am going to try to fix my old one when the brazing rods turn up thanks for the help

Advertisements