What are you machining?

1. zx9

zx9 Member

Finished me hammer. :clapping:

IMG_3948.JPG
    A few errors were made along the way, and it was a pain working around the limited size of the Drummond's spindle and no taper attachment and...
    And I have not hardened the steel tip because other than quenching in oil I have no way of doing it, that and the fact the tip is just a bit of steel I had and probably would not harden anyway.
    I enjoyed making it, I had to think to resolve some problems and I have something useful to show for it. :thumbup:

Woody.v8, grim_d, Kram and 10 others like this.
  2. Morris Member

Torqueflite clutch piston all machined, just waiting for my parting tips to turn up (forgotten I had broke the last one ages ago:doh:).

P1010069.JPG

Brad93, grim_d, Kram and 3 others like this.
  3. Wedg1e

Wedg1e They call me Mr. Bodge-angles

My VSL ejects some things, like the tailstock chuck, but not others, like a live centre. All down to the length I guess.

4. Matchless

Matchless Member

Not sure this is the right place to post this but...

Is there anyone who can give me a price to machine some brake drums from solid bar, I ideally would want them finished all over except for the actual brake surface, leave a bit for final truing, I would finish that once they are mounted, basically they were originally 1/8" thick pressings, 6 1/2" internal dia, 1 1/2" deep external, no hole or say a 1" centre hole, I have done 8" drums before but it is just too much for my Student with a 240v motor, need someone with a big lathe, they were used on many different Matchless motorcycles from the 20's but with differing ways of attaching them, the one pictures is held on with a circlip as the wheels were interchangeable, and they carried a spare (Matchless H) some are bolted, some riveted, some idiot thought body filler would be ok to repair a brake drum! I would probably need six, depends a bit on price, when I did the 8" drums I got discs sawn off of suitable round bar, would need to be around 6 7/8" od stock, whatever that is in metric..... local ish would be better due to weight / postage issues, but whatever, just an idea of cost for a start,

20200527_232619_resized.jpg 20200527_232702_resized.jpg 20200527_232710_resized.jpg

5. Johnnybravo Member

What Material do you want? Spun cast iron or what grade of steel? Size wise wouldn’t be an issue.

mtt.tr likes this.
  6. Agroshield Member

As Johnnybravo says, material is important. Cast iron has to be from solid bar.

If they are steel, (possible as you say they were pressed originally) could you fabricate from a plate welded to a pipe stub and then just finish to size and shape? Maybe a thick plate so your internal and external radius blends are in non-welded material and have the weld seam 1/2" up the cylinder.

In 1/8", if you made a former, you could heat a circle and turn the corner over for 1/4" and again weld to a cylinder (look at how boiler backplates are made in the model steam community - OK, so they are copper, but same principle).

mtt.tr likes this.
  7. Matchless

Matchless Member

I will post some pictures of an 8" front I fabricated, looked correct, worked ok but weighed a ton! a big flywheel in the front! still using it but! for someone with the right equipment and a big swarf bucket I don't think it would be a problem from steel blanks, and yes steel, I once used a slice from an oxygen cylinder to reband a brake drum, maybe I will reband this one to save the splined centre but would still need a few,

8. Johnnybravo Member

Are those splines parallel, or is it just the camera pulling them out of square. Could probably broach them in at the same time.

9. Matchless

Matchless Member

they are not square but I could finish off by hand, only one or two would need splines and if I had to do them myself it would not be a big problem, I got a friend in Latvia to make this hub with drum a couple of years ago, would have taken me a week or three on my Student..... he says he used 40H steel?
    IMG-20180213-WA0000.jpg IMG-20180212-WA0001.jpg IMG-20180213-WA0001.jpg

Kram and Hood like this.
  10. Morris Member

Finished.
    finished torqueflite piston.jpg

zx9, Woody.v8, Dcal and 3 others like this.
  11. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

Is that your lathe or your friends lathe in Latvia? Very clean.

12. Matchless

Matchless Member

My lathe....ha,ha,ha,ha,ha mine is usually 6" under swarf, only gets cleaned when I have parted off something and cannot find it! that lathe is in Ogre Latvia, Ramoto limited, Juris just today took delivery of a brand new vixen aquablast, built in the UK,

Rannsachair, Kram and Brad93 like this.
  13. Kram

Kram Member

What good is having a lathe if you cant do valve shims? :laughing:

[​IMG]

Biggest challenge is holding it. Made up a little 7.5mm bore, 2mm deep, 5mm through split collet. Took a tiny cut 0.02mm can still see the etching.

minimutly likes this.
  14. Johnnybravo Member

As far as I am aware , valve shims are case hardened. Turn them or grind them and they wear like buggery as they are soft

pressbrake1, zx9 and Shox Dr like this.
  15. pressbrake1

pressbrake1 Forum Supporter

essex england
    Subjected the ormerod slotter to cutting a 1” keyway in some semi hard material 0CA07164-6302-400D-B944-62733F2300FC.jpeg 574C66CF-CA7E-4AE7-9072-523D9DCB35F2.jpeg

16. Hood

Hood If it walks like a duck....

pressbrake1 likes this.
  17. Woody.v8

Woody.v8 Blue gluer

A cheeky clutch alignment tool for the daf

• 20200627_182620.jpg
    Anguz, slim_boy_fat, zx9 and 5 others like this.
  18. pressbrake1

pressbrake1 Forum Supporter

essex england
    Coring rig shaft in en19
    Original are in 308 stainless and gall up
    DD3D3948-50D1-482E-99C8-63BE07FF9DE6.jpeg 4E2B6A60-E1A0-4BB8-A94E-243D566BB57D.jpeg

galooph, Seadog, Kram and 5 others like this.
  19. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

pressbrake1 likes this.
  20. daedalusminos Member

Water pump from 1956 Vauxhall Velox E Series....

Impeller seal surface was shot plus me leaving it overnight in citric acid meant it was no longer an interference fit on the bearing shaft. Time for a repair sleeve.
    IMG_20200606_165935.jpg

0.002" interference fit inside and out...
    IMG_20200606_182148.jpg

New bearing, new seal, job done... IMG_20200624_152152.jpg

Advertisements