What 3D printer...

1. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    I think I should just buy the hell out of one of the ones in this thread and just start making stuff. If I get on with it, then I can start thinking about finessing.

The thing that "sold" the idea to me was the making of simple tool storage holders and brackets. I am not shooting for the moon here so I probably don't need to fuss too much about detail spec.

What would be handy though is perhaps some recommendation for where to buy one so long as it's not too far off AliBaba pricing...

2. veesix Member

UK
    Creality sell direct, UK shipping option too.

https://www.creality3dofficial.com/

Screwdriver likes this.
  3. Bladevane

Bladevane Member

@Screwdriver I can thoroughly recommend Mike at Factory 3D. http://factory3d.co.uk/ £279 all in and his customer service is exceptional. Mine took a few hours to build and I was printing the day after. He offers a bundle which includes tools, some spares and a 1kg reel of decent filament. Email him and he answers almost before he gets the email.

Screwdriver likes this.
  4. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    I nearly bought that...

Spec looks good and I like the idea of supporting UK industry but man, they need to have a serious talk to their styling department. :o

Another day of prevarication I think while I churn this over.

5. Ali

Ali Member

It’s well worth learning fusion, the learning curve was quite painful for me for about the first 10 hours then a few things clicked into place and it’s fantastic. You can use it in either direct (think Sketchup) or parametric (think SolidWorks) mode. I switched it to parametric immediately but coming from SketchUp you might find it easier to get to grips with. I still turn back to Sketchup now and again when I want to er...sketch something quickly, but mainly as I’ve got a lot of existing drawings to reference.

Screwdriver and Parm like this.
  6. ukracer Forum Supporter

Ender 2 is perfect for printing ABS Pro from steady tech.

Screwdriver likes this.
  7. ukracer Forum Supporter

Don't worry about upgrading to a glass bed......... Ah.sorry you are going Any cubic route so that makes it harder ask @Onoff . On an enter 3 it's a simple remove and replace. Makes life so much easier.

8. ukracer Forum Supporter

But you can always replace it for an all metal hot end..

veesix likes this.
  9. ukracer Forum Supporter

Not sure if any of you can see this?

10. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    No decision yet, forgot where I had got to but Ender 3 is still under consideration (or the 3x or the pro...)

I can see your posts yes but was busy getting tied in knots with Fusion. I gave up on their tutorial which seem to start at the beginner level by designing an F1 car. :rolleyes:

So I am going to surf YouTube for tutorials instead...

Ruffian likes this.
  11. ukracer Forum Supporter

Try McWhorter. It's more basic.

I know a guy who has a 32 bit ender 3 clone with colour touch screen and glass bed he might ship ....

That message about seeing was a Facebook video of HIS CoreXY printing at 300mms. You can't see it in this thread . I am getting a version I can post. ;)

12. ukracer Forum Supporter

This might help you decide.
    This is a screen shot of what printer he recommends. Screenshot_20200724_013040_com.google.android.youtube.jpg

Seadog likes this.
  13. Onoff Member

Yes I can attest to this. Printing PLA on the Anycubic i3 Mega S is pretty much a doddle with zero adhesion problems due to the special, dimpled, Ultrabase heated bed being so good. It sticks like the proverbial then once cool a light breeze will release the print it comes off that easy.

Printing ABS though is proving a pig! Don't want to use any adhesion promoter on the bed for fear of damaging it. Trying to source a 220 x 240mm glass bed to fit instead. The FB group hasn't really helped as I hoped they would!

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
  14. Ruffian Member

15. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    We have a winner! I am sold. Can you pm details; if he's selling and the price is right, I'm buying...

That video has a selection of exactly the bracketry and storages I need. I have been busy knocking up larger boxes and stuff but it's the individual parts which are an issue. Yes you can knock them up in wood/steel/alloy but when it comes to multiple versions or a production run, it gets boring very quickly.

Looking at an Ender 3X direct from Crealty from an earlier link and at $207 shipped, I don't see them getting much cheaper.

16. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    "Learn Fusion 360 or Die Tying..."

Yep, that's where I am at....

<edit> This is going to be tricky. Go to the "Create" tab. There isn't one. :dontknow: Software update has removed it. "Create a 2 point rectangle". Uh. No reference to that at all, not anywhere, not even in the Autodesk website where they are also showing you how to use the old software that you don't have...

It seems to "follow" this tutorial you would have to know in advance if your design is going to be a mesh, a form, sculpting or sketching for sheet, solid or... well you get the picture. I will give it a go but there does not appear to be a tutorial which you can follow, the buttons they point to are not there, the pages look different and on my dual monitor setup, Fusion hides everything you're doing if you flick back to the video.

I may die trying after all...

17. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    I bought one anyway. Ender 3X 3D, direct from Creality, shipping from Czech, £169.

I'll order up some PLA (?) separately since they want $44 for 2kg which seems high. :dontknow:

Parm, indy4x, ukracer and 1 other person like this.
  18. Ruffian Member

Pay about £15-20 per kilo for pla and petg.

19. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    Yeah, I got caught out by the old "cheapest on the block" trick on eBay. A cursory glance to check prices does not reveal the actual price until you fill out all of the drop downs. Looks like £9.99/kg until you actually try to buy one. Hey ho, bought 1kg of white PETG, black was out of stock everywhere I looked (10minutes got bored). I think PETG is the one for me. Not too fussed about finish, more interested in strength.

For now though, back to the shed to hit some real iron with actual tools. I can work out my Fusion 360 frustration there rather than on the Mac.

20. ukracer Forum Supporter

I like this based on price.

https://www.3dqf.co.uk/

I used this before I found 3DQ

https://3dprintz.co.uk/

Screwdriver likes this.
Advertisements