Welding inside garage

1. MCKDAVID Member

Mine is nothing fancy TBH. I just bought some more wall cladding sheeting, think I paid around 50 euros a sheet, for 4x1m it's only thin 0.8mm. It has no structural strength, it's only a barrier for sparks... Fixed onto a wood studding frame (on the "cold" side obviously) Overall it wasn't that expensive in monetary terms, just time. The welding strip curtain came off ebay, just checked it was 120 euros for 50 metres of 2mm thick and 300 wide. I just overlapped as necessary (a bit like commercial cold rooms). Simple but it works fine for a dedicated workshop, might be a bit overkill for a home garage though. The other advantage for me is that if any of the public wanders in while I'm working they've no risk of arc flash.

I can send you some photos of it if you want, to give you ideas

SteScouse likes this.
  2. SteScouse

SteScouse Member

Couple of photos would be good please mate. Can you send via the forum? Sorry to sound green, i honestly dont know

If noti can send you email address

I'll have a nose on ebay now too re welding curtain. Cheers MCKDAVID

3. MCKDAVID Member

pm sent.....

4. SteScouse

SteScouse Member

Just checked site of place i get steel from. They do 8ft by 1meter roofing sheets for £21, polymer coated

Reckon 3 of them easily close the square gap formed by the 3 girders, and easy enough to move in and out of place too

Gonna measure gap now lol

5. jsf55

jsf55 Forum Supporter

2 fire extinguishers, one by where your welding and one in easy reach of the door

addjunkie and SteScouse like this.
  6. SteScouse

SteScouse Member

Good idea jsf55, thanks

7. SteScouse

SteScouse Member

Thanks MCKDAVID, big help and gave me idea on what to aim for :thumbup:

8. MCKDAVID Member

:thumbup:

9. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

You got me right there, I now have a mental image.....:laughing:

10. MCKDAVID Member

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  11. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Not at all, you'd not be sitting outside here - heavy rain & a gale blowing. :mad:

Parm likes this.
  12. MCKDAVID Member

given the extreme temperatures we've had here this summer, there would have been a few nights I'd have happily came back up North just for that.... as long as there was beer involved obviously.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  13. SteScouse

SteScouse Member

Finally got garage sorted for welding. Had a quick go with MIG before, no issues at all.

Even with door wide open sheltered enough. Got space behind cladding sheets for bandsaw and compressor. Will move them when I get bench built. IMG_20191115_154939132.jpg

14. MCKDAVID Member

:thumbup::thumbup:

SteScouse likes this.
  15. SteScouse

SteScouse Member

I got about 64 square feet of space. Not a lot but it's dry and light 24/7. I'm happy with that. Thanks for advice MCKDAVID :thumbup:

Parm likes this.
  16. addjunkie

addjunkie Member

Freezer curtain strips works well and maintains acess. Not overly expensive either.

SteScouse likes this.
  17. SteScouse

SteScouse Member

Yes, they were suggested mate. Only went with steel cos of cost and easy to shift out the way quickly. But i fet what ya saying

18. SteScouse

SteScouse Member

Made the metal trestle things about a year ago, stick welded before i got my mig

Stupid heavy cos thick wall box section mostly, welds fairly ugly too. But they are strong

The unbrella stand "thingy" right of saw is a brake disc, round bar and a couple of rings cut from a pipe offcut

Thats only a few weeks old and ugly as hell, discovered undercut on that trying to weld cast iron of the disc. Horrible

19. Ancient_Axeman Member

Was very interested in your topic!
    I have a garage under the house and I got paranoid about fire risk but really wanted to have a MIG welder.
    Interesting to see all the suggestions and advice here tho.
    I have a gas meter in the garage so I put a thick fire blanket in front of that hung from the ceiling.
    Also I fitted two of these pancake fire extinguishers [powder ones] that you can fix to the ceiling with the sprinkler underneath in case something starts burning when you leave.
    I also always place a smoke detector on a shelf above my workbench which i move whilst welding/grinding etc then put back as I leave.
    Whilst working I have a fire extinguisher nearby and a pump up garden water spray bottle in case cardboard or something starts while your there.
    I had reboarded the ceiling with two layers of Fireboard with offsetting the joints etc, wow they are heavy!
    Done quite a bit of welding in there now and I never get complacent.
    The worst threats seem to be those molten blobs that form and run off, maybe people good at welding dont get those ;)

Yamhon and SteScouse like this.
  20. Justme

Justme Member

No flammable liquids of any type in the garage.

Pigeon_Droppings2 likes this.
Advertisements