Welding inside garage

1. SteScouse

SteScouse Forum Supporter

I bought my Clarke MIG at the begining of the year and enjoyed using it so far

Problem i have currently tho is i have to weld outdoors and really dislike flux cored wire

Does anyone here weld inside a garage and any advice if so?

My garage is a single car size and is built into the house, so obviously want to be as careful as possible.

The gas boiler is in there too but at far end of garage and i could in effect divide garage in two when welding. Do this with large welding blankets etc. Convenient steel girders would make attaching them easy and quick.

Thinking also half closed garage door would keep light away from people passing and let air in. And I'd definitely have a decent extinguisher to hand and stay there a while after stopping welding.

Am i on the right track or is it a non runner? Any advice appreciated, thanks

Reabo likes this.
  2. Climber

Climber Member

Sounds fine to me. You obviously aren't an idiot, so just use your common sense and you'll be fine. It's the people who don't even think about these things that end up burning the house down

slim_boy_fat and snoozer like this.
  3. Ashley Burton

Ashley Burton Member

A bit of common sense & you can't go wrong!

brightspark likes this.
  4. steveo3002 Member

cambridge uk
    make sure you spend an hour cleaning up or pottering around to keep a check for fires after finishing up

5. SteScouse

Thanks Ashley

Thats what i was hoping. Definitely be moving oils and other flammables out of there way in advance, like you say common sense measures

Yamhon likes this.
  6. SteScouse

Cheers Steveo. Yes thats good advice. Besides, pottering I'm good at

slim_boy_fat and Yamhon like this.
  7. SteScouse

What I'm actually aiming for is all storage at top end of garage. That would then be behind screening when welding

At door end of garage just want welding table and clear floor. Top end of my ladders will be there too but against opposite wall so no hazard

Yamhon likes this.
  8. SteScouse

Thanks Climber. Sorry just spotted your reply, new to forums.

Yeah, i iry to look at what hazards there are and how to reduce risk.

But know alot of experienced people on here, and good to hear their views

Cheers

9. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

Fire or welding blanket to put over stuff is a good idea too.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  10. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

also as reference any hot work make sure areas clean and consider the 1hr after doing any hot works rule before putting things away

11. SteScouse

Thanks lads, definitely want clean area to work. Absolutely no saw dust etc.

I really like working outdoors and do that often as i can, but with MIG its not often weather allows

Even had to finish trolley for MIG welder using stick :doh:

IMG_20190817_155757458.jpg

12. SteScouse

Sorry, that photo is gigantic, embarrassed by my IT skills

13. Climber

Climber Member

Looks OK to me. You should, however, be embarrassed about how clean all of your kit is. :laughing:

14. Ton-up

Ton-up Member

Don't forget, any welding spatter or grinding dust going outside the garage door will turn your drive and white window cills brown.........

Morrisman and SteScouse like this.
  15. SteScouse

Its clean cos hardly get to use it lol. And photo taken soon as paint dry i think

16. SteScouse

Cheers Ton-up. Drive already battered from working on car tho. But good advive re windows, lucky non too close

17. Yamhon Member

Few suggestions.
    1. Protect the gas boiler with welding blankets or a welding screen.
    2. Weld with the garage door open where possible; allows people to see that you're okay and will improve ventilation. You can protect other people in the area with the use of a welding screen positioned in front of the garage door, say about a foot or two from the entrance so you still gain an advantage from the ventilation.
    3. If you're welding with the garage door closed, beware that arc flash and other light can be reflected from the garage door and enter the rear of your mask - this happened to me; you can address this by changing position or using a piece of leaver over the back of your helmet, or wearing a hoodie/cap, etc.
    4. Consider using a localised extraction system to improve air quality when welding in the garage, there expensive off the shelf imo, but you can make a simplified DIY version. Just bare in mind that fans work best when pulling air, not pushing.
    5. Make sure you protect anything else in the area from splatter and especially grinding sparks which seem to be the worse culprit.

SteScouse and gaz1 like this.
  18. R-D-R Forum Supporter

I weld in a garage and as above you just need to organise things and use common sense. I do a lot of wood butchering so have to make sure everything is cleared up before I move onto a metal work project. Also you would be surprised how far the hot bits fly and they do leave marks when they settle. I restored a lathe and noticed some marks from the welding which really pee'd me off! Move anything valuable out the way and cover anything else with appropriate material. I am considering getting some of that welding curtain material and hanging it on a pole like a shower curtain to cordon of an area to weld in.

slim_boy_fat and SteScouse like this.
  19. SteScouse

Thanks Yamhon and R-D-R, all good advice.

Shower curtain of welding blanket type material exactly what I'm thinking with the girders built into garage

Good point re reflected light too. Inside of garage door may need painting a dark colour, currently white

Hoping not to be grinding in there much. Rather do that in the garden and just weld up prepped stuff inside, but i get the point, thanks

Its good to know other people doing what I'm planning too

Yamhon likes this.
  20. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

try to do grinder work outside of the garage or wear a mask if inside the whole time if not you will get lung fulls of metal in them from grinding in such a small space

SteScouse and Yamhon like this.
Advertisements