Welding in front panel l200 price ?

1. Markus19 Member

Hi guys my l200 truck has failed its mot on front panel crossmember

Ive striped it all down and had to drill out the whole front panel to get rid of all the rotten parts

Ive got a new front panel on order which comes in one bit however i need someone to weld in the new panel

What sort of price would be a fair price to pay someone to spot weld this in place ?

Many thanks

• 20190504_125218.jpg
    • 20190505_150051.jpg
    • Screenshot_20190505-222856_eBay.jpg
  2. Rig Pig

Rig Pig Member

I'd guess around £150, try asking on Facebook on one of the tools for sale or cars for sale pages.

3. pondy

pondy Forum Supporter

What's your postcode, I'm in Brandon so not a million miles from Norwich

4. stuvy

stuvy Member

I’d do it for £200 as the front panels bad there may well be extras to repair too

5. Richard.

Richard. Member

You’d need another zero to interest me lol.
    Long Gone those days laying under a rusty shed welding new bits to old body parts.

Kent, stuvy, addjunkie and 4 others like this.
  6. daedalusminos Member

I assume you need someone to come to you or can you transport?

7. julianf

julianf Member

I don't know how it's implemented, bit there's that "seam welded" rule for mot stuff, even if the original wasn't.

Again I can't see how it's implemented in all cases, but I thought I'd mention it.

stuvy likes this.
  8. grim_d

grim_d Member

Plug weld?

stuvy likes this.
  9. Richard.

Richard. Member

I think certain things can be spot and plug welded as per original method. Wings and grills etc wouldn’t be seam welded in the engine Bay Area I don’t think.
    Patch repairs, sills, arches and chassis work definitely a full seam.
    @doubleboost is the man for the up to date test rules.

10. doubleboost

doubleboost Member

10 Acceptable methods of repair
    Repairs to structural components must be properly carried out and appear to be as strong as the original structure. This requires the use of suitable materials and any plating or welding extends to a sound part of a load-bearing member.

You can only pass spot welded repairs if the original panel was spot welded and the original panel or section has been removed. Stitch or plug welding can be used instead of spot welding.

In all other circumstances, patch repairs must be continuously seam welded.

Some vehicle manufacturers have recommended repair methods that use MIG brazing, a combination of adhesive bonding and riveting, or amalgamations of these with other joining methods. Such repairs are therefore acceptable unless they are clearly inadequate.
    This is the latest info i have

11. Shedendman

Shedendman Member

east sussex
  12. Shedendman

Shedendman Member

east sussex
    if you were closer,like much closer i'd be asking £250

13. Sean Another 602 fan

Edinburgh
    no, if its a full panel then manufacturers installation can be followed , plug welds as long as they are as strong and of the same number as the original spot welds.
    If any part of a panel is cut for a patch then it must be fully seam welded to retain the integrity and strength of the original panel.

Its to stop people tacking on patches and undersealing over them

doubleboost likes this.
  14. keithski122 Member

uk
    However if you're replacing part of a panel and a section of the panel was spot welded then you can spot weld that part and seam weld the let in section, ie sill patch, spot weld the bottom edge and seam weld the cut edges.

Sean and doubleboost like this.
  15. grim_d

grim_d Member

You can do whatever the hell you like if you cover it with enough stonechip. :D

Shedendman, owas, Wallace and 3 others like this.
  16. keithski122 Member

uk
    If you can control a seam sealer gun well you can get a nice weld effect.

Morrisman likes this.
  17. grim_d

grim_d Member

18. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

I feel a good plug weld vs seam weld debate is about to kick off :clapping:.

"In general" my MOT guy has always been totally fine with plug welds where there were spot welds originally....and seam welds where there were either seam welds originally....or no welds originally (exceptions apply of course)

If you've done the cleaning up of the main body where you drilled out the spot welds...and presumably you'll also align the new panel and clean that up too around the plug weld holes....so I don't get what exactly is required?....replace the spot welds you drilled out with plug welds?

19. Markus19 Member

Hello guys many thanks for replies
    I am down in norwich most of the time however the truck is up at my home in whitehaven in cumbria and that is were the work would be done

I would need someone to come to me as the truck aint driveable

The orginal panel was spot welded in and i have drilled out the spot welds to get the old panel out

The new on comes in one full section and i presume would be welded back in through the holes i have drilled out to the new panel

20. Markus19 Member

Yes mate ive did all the prep just need someone good with a welder , i only have a gassless thing and dont want to wreck the new panel by me not doing a good weld job

Advertisements