Ultrasonic cleaners..yay..or nay?

1. angellonewolf

angellonewolf Member

elbow grease in poundland but meny more places and i only use normal tap water and dry with air compresser

Greg05 likes this.
  2. MCKDAVID Member

elbow grease? i thought that was a gag:clapping:, had a look at poundland, won't get that locally here. I already degrease with the degreasing tank to take off the really heavy crud, then a blast over / in with carb / brake cleaner, but the real works done by the ultrasonic. I use demineralised water, thinking it will have most of the "potential solid by-products" already taken out. To be fair the water does a decent enough job with minimal risk. some of the other stuff has turned the alloy very dull grey, or leaving a white furry residue, if that's what you see on the outside, you can only guess what it's done to the miniscule little passages in the carb body. Just wondering if there's a better option (faster)

3. Migmac

Migmac Member

I have a very small cleaner, got it from Lidl or Aldi. I use it for rifle brass. It does an ok job, would do better I think if I was less in a rush. Fluid used makes a big difference, the bought stuff I got originally was rubbish. I got a recipe of the net which is much better

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  4. Dennis Aspö

Dennis Aspö Member

They are not the magic super cleaning demon I thought they where, but it's been useful quite a lot of times.

5. mike os

mike os just a little insane.....

cleaning will depend on the fluids you use, all the ultrasonic bit does is effectively give them a scrub/agitate the fluid.

mostly we use IPA at about 40c, have been known to use more aggressive such as MEK or thinners on occasion...

work has 3 ranging from 2 to 20l capacity

sometimes soaking overnight in the bath and repeated cycles are necessary

ukracer likes this.
  6. ukracer Forum Supporter

This has been my experience with the very small ones I have used so far..

7. Wany Member

Doing the lower carb today. Some unbranded model. It has a heater that makes a big difference.

• IMG_20200326_155107464_HDR.jpg
    marlinspike, mike os and slim_boy_fat like this.
  8. jordan1 Member

I have a 15ltre one I bought about 18monthe ago for bike carbs, great bit of kit. No longer restoring bikes so I could let you have it for £90, you arrange courier.

9. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

:clapping:I think I'll pass on your generous offer to 'rehome' it. :laughing:

angellonewolf likes this.
  10. jordan1 Member

Offer was to Tifa actually, no problem, it doesn't cost too much to feed:laughing:.

11. angellonewolf

angellonewolf Member

and there was me trying to help you out getting a bigger unit :D

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  12. Tifa

Tifa Member

Thanks for your input peeps
    Some really interesting stuff..

13. Greg05 Member

a little 3l gtsonic digital for 60quid from eBay, came in a couple days. it's been brilliant with some elbow grease, just get them straight in clean water to prevent corrosion when removing.

marlinspike and slim_boy_fat like this.
  14. marlinspike Member

United Kingdom
    I would love to see some before and after photos, guys. I had thought of getting one to do some of the smaller parts on my car resto, but wasn't sure it was worth it. As with everything on here, it always seems like bigger is better...

15. Greg05 Member

I had the perfect one a few weeks back and forgot to take photos, the carb was totally brown with varnish and it came out shiny silver.
    forgot to take photos.
    I'll try to find a carb to clean this week.

slim_boy_fat and marlinspike like this.
  16. Greg05 Member

I think in an ideal world you would have a small say 3 or 6l and then a big 20 odd litre. that way you don't need to heat the big one all the time.

I was unsure but decided to bite the bullet and I should have done it ages ago.

17. Greg05 Member

I have not forgot about this, I currently Have 2 lawnmower carbs in my Little 3l Gt sonic, unfortunately they both looked quite clean inside so I can't show just how good they are, they outsides were filthy so you will get some idea.

marlinspike and slim_boy_fat like this.
Advertisements