“Transformer”

1. gaz1

gaz1 Member

2. brightspark

brightspark Member

better off using the blue 16 amp extension lead and plug with a 13 amp plug on one end

rtbcomp and gaz1 like this.
  3. badmarx Member

kerry ireland

when you say, use blue 16 amp extension lead and plug with a 13 amp plug on one end,

Do you mean just re wire a standard plug to one end of the heavier extension lead and leave the blue 16 amp round socket to plug into the welder lead, yeah?

Cause that sounds the cheapest and handiest

4. brightspark

brightspark Member

yup correct that's the best option :)

badmarx likes this.
  5. gaz1

gaz1 Member

exactly the extension lead will come in handy latter no matter what its used for now

badmarx and brightspark like this.
  6. badmarx Member

kerry ireland
  7. badmarx Member

kerry ireland
    Your a bunch of gents lads cheers.

• E7B5E4C9-6439-4598-8BC9-7C5543A1BA88.png
    Farside likes this.
  8. gaz1

gaz1 Member

i have a thick 50m extension lead with 10mm round wire on it its had 2 wall paper strippers on it all day long and all it did was warm the wire a fraction

badmarx likes this.
  9. chris y Member

Durham England
    I've welded with a 210A stick welder on the end of a long extension lead with 13A plugs, made from 2.5 flex, occassionally with it turned up high a fuse would blow. No problem there, thats what fuses are for, protecting everything downstream, replace the fuse and crack on.
    You should manage just fine with a 13A plug, keep spare fuses just in case.

One very important note, whatever exension lead you use, if its longer than you need uncoil it all, if you leave it coiled up it will heat up and be destroyed.

I made that mistake helping a friend out once, using his gear, he had used a long extension lead made of 1.5 flex but still coiled, once we noticed the heat it was too late and the extension lead was scrap.

brightspark and gaz1 like this.
  10. eLuSiVeMiTe

eLuSiVeMiTe Member

Exactly what I use for my welder. Had the leads and socket from when I had a caravan db and hookup in my old works van. Serves me well in its afterlife.

11. eLuSiVeMiTe

eLuSiVeMiTe Member

Cut mine off. Lead regularly snagged between the two halves and drove me nuts..

Advertisements