“Transformer”

1. badmarx Member

kerry ireland
    Hi guys, I am currently renovating our new house and the inside is pretty much done. My attention is now tuning to the outside where iv cast a big patio in Concrete and want to weld up some railing. Trouble is I don’t have a garage built yet. Or a connection to plug in my welder.

Iv an SWP 170c mig and want to know if I can use something between the welder and a regular socket. A “transformer” or something that I can buy to weld while the house is a shell and I can get the railing done before finish work starts inside when the weather improves.

Thanks in advance
    Mike

• 2DF55536-934C-43E3-AA49-6AF31C7D8202.jpeg
    • E861B2EE-A7EF-4566-817A-B5DFE56F3049.jpeg
  2. brightspark

brightspark Member

run a temp supply out from db to a blue 16 amp socket outside

mtt.tr likes this.
  3. badmarx Member

kerry ireland
    Thanks lads, Brightspark, what’s a db? And pdg will a standard plug instead of the blue 16 not melt and blow fuses ?

4. brightspark

brightspark Member

db house fuse box. the welder may run on a 13 amp plug as long as its not on a thin extension lead. it may pop the fuse if run on full whack but should last a while before it does

5. badmarx Member

kerry ireland
    Will i be safe using something like This from burning anything out in the house while welding ? I know I’m showing I know nothing but I’d rather be a fool that asks than a fool standing next to a fire :)

• 5AF4AFF9-2603-4CE8-B2E1-8FE0BC588AB6.jpeg
  6. brightspark

brightspark Member

that would work fine

7. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

I weld on 13A at the end of an extension supply from the house [via the shed], using [iirc :ashamed:] 2.5 cable. No problems ever, but I then I'm not maxxing out the amps.

What do you need to weld in terms of material thickness etc.?

8. badmarx Member

kerry ireland
    Ah. . . I see. Then my issue is the extension lead. How do I get from a socket inside to position outside without getting a spark to wire into the db ? Or does it have to be a temp cable wires into the db with a suitable heavier cable than a standard extension lead.

9. brightspark

brightspark Member

drill a hole through the wall and just plug a heavy ish extension lead in to a socket

badmarx likes this.
  10. WorkshopChris

WorkshopChris Forum Supporter

brightspark likes this.
  11. badmarx Member

kerry ireland
    Can’t emagine il be maxing out anything either. All il be welding is 5mm x55mm to 10mm round bar to make mètre by 2 mètre sections as railing along the end of the patio I made during the summer. The pics show the patio being poured and the idea of how it will look with brick between it. As far as the railing goes it will be something simple like the picture included. The garden falls away at the end of the patio so the ladyboss wants something to stop the kids that don’t exist yet. I think she’s convinced their gonna be suicidal.

• 28B4A12A-4817-4ABD-B59E-A6A9D032CAC0.jpeg
    • 018112F7-F2A9-406E-9810-F2CCF4C7AC11.jpeg
    • A3CE245F-CBF8-439D-8A59-726CFCBD453F.jpeg
    brightspark likes this.
  12. badmarx Member

kerry ireland
    Each pad is 10 feet by eight and the whole patio runs the length of the house, excluding steps down the centre. So there is a good bit of welding but nothing difficult the patio is 70 feet long excluding the steps.

• D6749C64-D6A5-4FED-AF7A-06A0A2006880.png
  13. WorkshopChris

WorkshopChris Forum Supporter

Looking at the concrete on your patio make sure you put some ply or something down to stop any welding splatter or grinding sparks leaving rust marks on the concrete for years to come.

Parm, badmarx and brightspark like this.
  14. badmarx Member

kerry ireland

That’s the job, so am I right in thinking a can plug the 3 together and weld from a domestic socket?

• 90E5B2A7-EA46-44A7-BF8D-00AE2BEDC057.jpeg
    • A59532AC-BEC1-4669-A9E0-2EEC4DE52C04.png
    • 868E5B12-7893-47DF-8480-506FC01823E9.png
  15. badmarx Member

kerry ireland
    Thanks yeah il be doing that

16. slim_boy_fat

Yep, that's what I did - only the hole was through the timber frame. I can do a pic if anyone would find it helpful, otherwise I'm too lazy to be arsed......:ashamed:

badmarx and brightspark like this.
  17. slim_boy_fat

:clapping: Training is better than prevention, that way they learn........;) .

It's like folk who move all 'ornaments' out of reach when young kids are expected to visit "to remove temptation" :vsad: Just saying.........:D , but then I'm old and grumpy ;)

badmarx likes this.
  18. badmarx Member

kerry ireland
    Thanks lads I know I’m asking stupid questions but here’s one more. If the 3 are all connected is the fuse in the adapter on the standard plug gonna blow being that it’s a 13 rather than 16.

19. brightspark

brightspark Member

u will get away with it on the 13 amp plug but may pop on full load constant use .the 16 amp plugs are just round pin connectors on a heavy lead so will not overheat and will take the load

badmarx likes this.
  20. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

just get a normal 13 amp plug and a 10-16mm round extension lead its all you need

Advertisements