thicker plate to 4mm box vertical

1. Better but pause longer at the sides and move across the middle quicker. Get into the habit of counting to 3 at each point of the triangle and get a regular rhythm going

CT85 and dab4318 like this.
  2. smashweld Member

I turned down the welder but maybe need to go even lower?

the bottom weld I was aiming for 2-3 secs but it ended up much bigger than the thickness of the angle..maybe just moving too far between points? I tried moving less the one above

3. It's one of those things that it's far easier to show than try and explain, have a look at the instructional videos for some pointers

smashweld likes this.
  4. Kent

Kent Member

Sorry, cel is an mma electrode manufactured for all positions and very down. Cel refers to the cellulose in the flux. Often used in sheet Pile jobs and pipe, in the USA route welds on steel structures.

smashweld likes this.
  5. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

I don't know what welder you've got but 4.5-5m/min WFS with about 17-19V will see you in the range for V up in dip/short transfer.

CT85, EAZEE and smashweld like this.
  6. smashweld Member

7. Kent

Kent Member

You know I come from a time before voltage read out. I think a lot can be learned from what you hear and what you see occurring

Brad93, smashweld and dab4318 like this.
  8. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

I used to use the kempomat machines. As Kent says, read the pool that will tell you if you need more or less voltage.

9. smashweld Member

I'll give it a try later. I remember posting the settings I was using for alu on here and others thought the volts seemed high but anything lower and I was getting hairline cracks after grinding. also...I'm just going by that online manual, no reason for it to be wrong but I don't have the actual manual to compare

10. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

What diameter wire are you using?

11. smashweld Member

1mm

12. smashweld Member

Tried with setting 2/1.

Was easier to see/control the pool with it not bubbling up so fast.
    Thoughts?

• IMG_20171128_181721.jpg
  13. That's a lot better, particularly the top section, you are starting to get a steady rhythm going, don't travel upwards as quickly so the runs blend into each other a bit better

Brad93 likes this.
  14. smashweld Member

Cheers.... The one at the top I was moving/weaving further out to the sides..if I hadn't posted/read on here I'd have thought the bottom one was the most solid looking!

15. The throat thickness is way too big on the bottom one, usually down to travelling from one side to the other too slowly

smashweld likes this.
  16. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

I done some at work today but was using 0.8mm wire so won’t really be accurate for what you are doing. I’ll chuck some 1.0mm in at some point and throw some pictures up. Won’t be winning any awards, but they penetrated well and had even leg and throat thickness.

I will macro etch some too if that would be of interest to anyone?

17. smashweld Member

I’d like to see the tests...interested in doing some myself too as swinging the 14lb hammer to see what breaks first prob has limited use...although not entirely useless!

Just watched an American vid on doing etch tests mentioning what’s available over the counter....what about in the UK?

Found this....pricey but is it the proper stuff?

Edit...is it just for stainless?

https://www.chemicals.co.uk/nital-solution

18. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

That's ridiculous money that stuff.

19. jrwhalley Member

Jody Collier (weldingtipsandtricks) has used a spray oven cleaner which is basically sodium hydroxide (lye) and some perfume to etch welds... Doesn't claim it's approved or code, but it works and it is cheap (at least over here, so far). "Easy-Off" is the brand that comes to mind. I don't think it works as well on aluminum, as the aluminum is pretty reactive with it, but maybe vinegar and a little more time... Or just keep a close eye on it and be prepared to flush and neutralize quickly. Hope this is of help.

backpurge likes this.
  20. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

Oven cleaner only works on aluminium

Advertisements