The Denbigh Drill

1. eLuSiVeMiTe

eLuSiVeMiTe Member

Forester is a boat unladen. Don't envy the drive. Had a xt for a few years went like stink

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  2. Dieselkid 63

Dieselkid 63 Banned from forklifts

They are, you’re right! I love them though, been driving them for years. This is the fifth one at home, my first though, with the ej20. Have an ej25 sg5 chassis at home too, same shape, seems to drink more gas for marginal performance increase.

Apparently I beat another guy to buying this who wanted it TO TURN IT INTO A PIECE OF MODERN ART. Jesus wept. This baby had a close call with the gas axe! I’m an artist myself and it pains me to see lovely working machines turned into garden art.

slim_boy_fat and eLuSiVeMiTe like this.
  3. Turbo Member

When the Forester was launched over here the local dealers had a day at Todds Leap off road driving centre. The off road instructors were amazed when this 'car' went around their full off road course normally reserved for proper 4x4's!

Dieselkid 63 and eLuSiVeMiTe like this.
  4. Dieselkid 63

And that’s a wrap for today.

Home and waterblasted the main components, that’s looking much better. Cleaned out the T slots, put the motor bracket on, separated the belt and blasted the pulley cone before reattaching it. Can’t wait to refit the column!

• A99B6A48-4F8E-472D-9272-C7BB894E0C6E.jpeg
    Seadog, Turbo, spencer 427 and 5 others like this.
  5. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Well done on rescuing it and 'safely' :D getting it home! :thumbup:

6. Dieselkid 63

Whilst cleaning I managed to find some rich iron deposits. Unfortunately they were on the machine! The mounting lugs were full of caked rust and grease. The T slots were full of grease and swarf. All of it came out in the end though.

I love wet days as they’re ideal for waterblasting. Outside my house a small river forms in heavy rain, and I spotted these happy ducks playing in it!

• E95D55C1-7D36-4846-920E-26EE78A6CD8E.jpeg
    • AD917D32-6EF8-4A46-8040-18D0209F166C.jpeg
    • 1A32E51E-3BCC-4FD7-BE22-DB204D316281.jpeg
    spencer 427 and slim_boy_fat like this.
  7. Dieselkid 63

Getting the table bracket off the column was tough. It’s been repainted once and had been done in situ, probably never been apart before. Lots of oil, twisting with a wooden handle through the eye, and finally a vertical raise with some wooden-plank-protected love taps from a 6lb hammer and it was free.

The column looks in great shape, and that should polish up nicely. I want the bracket repainted and back on the column before I mate the column to the drill base again. It will save time in the future.

The switch I have looks a good fit on the machine, nice and early c20. I’m still undecided on the colour for it, Denbigh drills were originally a blue/grey but I might go crazy yet :D

• CB009610-D079-4ED0-A379-2B133DF25068.jpeg
    • D7AFAB4A-46CB-4047-BC59-0975B4C75DBF.jpeg
    • 0F9B856F-B1A7-46ED-A691-68DD1410F2A1.jpeg
    Parm, Seadog, Turbo and 3 others like this.
  8. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

can i suggest a brass coat instead of paint

you will like the look something i remembered when looking through things for mine

Seadog and slim_boy_fat like this.
  9. Dieselkid 63

Job one on the drill, I got the acme thread for the raising mechanism clean. This was a troublesome thing to free as it was all caked up with solid grease. Having the Jubilee lathe is great for cleaning these long screws.

• E22C8D25-D9AC-4D9C-96BA-AB8B9A9F7BFA.jpeg
    slim_boy_fat and spencer 427 like this.
  10. spencer 427 Member

That's fine lol. You only need to worry when the rear tyres are scraping the tops of the wheel wells and you got to stick lumps of stuff between the rear springs

galooph and Dieselkid 63 like this.
  11. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

Turbo likes this.
  12. Dieselkid 63

So I decided to have a look in the power feed box. Wow. This is a complete mess. It’s meant to be oiled so no grease at all, there’s rust here too, so the grease didn’t even preserve much. They really slathered it in. On the plus side, the splines of the dog clutches function well. No restoration is complete without a ball bearing firing across the room, in this case I caught the ball but the spring is m.i.a.

• 09CB0A37-2B96-4B1E-B749-2568181B2190.jpeg
    • CA1B0B89-F9A4-417A-848A-DC843BB1D756.jpeg
    • 6226AF0E-1869-48D1-93A3-64C039969E38.jpeg
    • 8AC78E87-99F9-435C-9997-6DB666F5EDB8.jpeg
    Ton-up and slim_boy_fat like this.
  13. Dieselkid 63

Similar but not my drill. Mine has an acme raising mechanism whereas that one has a screwed on rack.

This is mine

• CD80799B-61E2-4A88-83AB-E497A3CF66CC.png
    spencer 427 likes this.
  14. slim_boy_fat

This is going to be good, I'm looking forward to the progress reports. :thumbup:

Dieselkid 63 likes this.
  15. spencer 427 Member

They are awesome drilling machines. Hopefully be sorting my one out soon.

16. Dieselkid 63

Do you have a Denbigh too?

spencer 427 likes this.
  17. Dieselkid 63

The first job is stripping the paint on both the table bracket and table rise casting. Once these are primed and repainted, I can mate the column back to the base. This will consolidate the restoration process and stop the garage being filled with iron!

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  18. knighty Forum Supporter

it'd a bit off topic.... but our coal power stations are pretty much all still up and running - they're just running at minimum power output, but still there/running and ready to wind up to full power just incase we need them - they're production just short of 6% of our demand right now

https://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/

coal is one of the most expensive forms of generation, so it's at the back of the queue when we need power

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  19. spencer 427 Member

It's very similar. Mine is a bradson I believe.

20. slim_boy_fat

As a matter of interest only, how long would it take them to reach full grid contribution? :dontknow:

Advertisements