Steel thickness of the average car?

1. MyHouseIsOnFire Member

Hi, can anyone tell me the average thickness of steel is on a car? and what size welding wire is normally used on this thickness?

Also does anyone know why I'm getting spatter when on gassless even though the polarity settings are correct on my dual mig?

2. Dcal

Dcal Forum Supporter

What car?
    They range from 0.8 or even 0.7 to 1.2mm
    Gasless is not a great process for thin steel.
    What wire are you using?
    Not all wires are created equal (the same can be said of welders)

Mixed gas (Argon 5% co2) is better for thin steel

3. The_Yellow_Ardvark

The_Yellow_Ardvark perkele

About 1mm is the average thickness on car bodies.
    Thicker in more structural parts.

I use 0.6mm, only because I can get that easier than 0.8mm.

Gasless will always give more splatter than gas wire.

4. As above, average thickness is around 1mm but this does vary between manufacturers, age and area of vehicle. I have always used 0.8 mm (it’s also generally a lot cheaper per kilo than 0.6 mm)
    Regarding spatter, I think you will always get it with gas less wire, to be honest you’ll get it with gas as well but you should be able to tune the majority of it out until it doesn’t cause a problem

Dcal and slim_boy_fat like this.
  5. MyHouseIsOnFire Member

It won't matter about splatter where I'm welding due to the welds mostly being in easy to reach places (most of the time). Where it's easy to reach its easy to grind out. But that is another reason why I bought a dual mig just incase the splatter is horrific on gasless.

6. MyHouseIsOnFire Member

Yeah gasless is not the best but just bought a mig that uses flux and gas as I don't want to be stuck when I have ran out of gas. What brand of wire do you suggest I buy?

7. Dcal

Dcal Forum Supporter

I've never had much success with gasless mig welding so probably not the best person to advise but Lincoln has had good reviews for gasless wire.

8. Dcal

Dcal Forum Supporter

9. Tangledfeet

Tangledfeet Once more into the breach...

Yup, the Lincoln Innershield NR211 wire is very good; miles better than the Clarke fluxcore we had at school prior to acquiring a 5kg reel of it courtesy of the Scottish Lincoln rep.

The EWM equivalent is just as good in my experience; I use it at home when saving what gas I have left!

Dcal likes this.
  10. MyHouseIsOnFire Member

So the average seems to be around 1mm for the body. What about the average sill, let's say the outer sill on a car. Would 1mm (thickness) metal plate plus 0.8mm flux wire be adequate for the average Sill? Or are they most sills thicker than 1mm? Thanks

11. Dcal

Dcal Forum Supporter

There is little point in generalising but 1mm is on the high side for most modern cars.
    The sills are usually (but not always) the same as the rest of the bodywork.
    When you start to get into really modern stuff, (again hard to be specific but less than 10 years old) they can have high strength steels which can not be welded but can be repaired with mig brazing.

0.8 gas-less (or 0.6 or 0.9) is not a process I have had any success with for welding car body work and I wouldn't recommend it.

0.8 (or 0.6) with 5% argon gas will work very well.

If you want to try gas-less get a decent wire as has already been recommend.
    Expect to pay £40 or £50 for a 5kg roll.
    If it works for you come back and tell us about it. I'd keep a roll for when I run out of gas on a Friday night, but the gas-less wire I have tried have been truly awful on thin steel.
    Having said that I'm too cheap to spend the money on a better gas-less wire, in the knowledge that it will still be worse than using solid wire and gas.

I would love to be proven wrong

Tangledfeet, Wany and stuvy like this.
  12. Tangledfeet

I've got some 1.0mm steel knocking around, might remove the gas, swap wire over and have a play with the EWM self-shield wire on it - I've only tried it on 3mm or 5mm previously.

Dcal likes this.
  13. Dcal

Dcal Forum Supporter

@Tangledfeet that would be great and don't forget to post the results.

Tangledfeet likes this.
  14. Tangledfeet

That'll more expose my pitiful welding than it will the EWM wire itself! :D

15. Dcal

Dcal Forum Supporter

Fair enough,
    I'll set my mig up and use the gas-less wire I have.
    That should give you a laugh.

Tangledfeet likes this.
  16. Tangledfeet

I don't think I've ever actually MIG welded (whether with shielding gas or self-shielded) anything less than 3mm so it'll be a novel challenge for me!

17. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

The Figaro I'm welding is 0.7mm I reckon.

I use .8mm wire with argoshield...I'm not going to say it's easy but it's manageable.

They reserved the thick steel for stiffeners but so far I haven't really welded anything thicker than 1.2mm I reckon on the Figaro.

Toyota's seem slightly thicker...0.9mm on the sills I seem to remember.

Shedendman likes this.
  18. MyHouseIsOnFire Member

Iv bought both a gas and a gas-less mig just in case i regret buying the flux core only mig but gas aside what size wire would you suggest on gas-less source for carboy work? https://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/threads/static-arc-mig-140.96597/page-2#post-1561672

I plan on moving to gas once i get my head around the basic welding skills through the cheap route of flux core.

Iv so far manged to weld a plate to an oil barrel with shocking results but that is down to the wrong settings as well as the wrong height the torch is at when held as well as the direction i have been going in (left to right rather than right to left).

Either way i will be posting pictures to show why its better to fail than to not attempt at all.

19. MyHouseIsOnFire Member

It seems to me that the concerns with welding thin metal are not present with thicker metals and they are obviously easier to work with.

I will assume from my reading on here that the car body is generally thinner compared to other things made out of steel and even if i opted for much thicker metal (2, 3 mm) car body wise i would still be sticking that to something much thinner.

Tangledfeet likes this.
  20. MyHouseIsOnFire Member

Yep it does seem very thin material when 2 pennies are stacked together which gives you an idea how thick 3mm is.

Guess I will buy the 1.5 mm to 3 mm sheets of steel. Iv been working with less than 1mm.

Advertisements