HughF Member

Work: Dorchester, Workshop: Corfe Castle, Wife's place: Frome
    Volts up, wfs down, bit flatter...
    IMG_20191218_195912.jpg IMG_20191218_195935.jpg

arther dailey and Memmeddu like this.
  3. HughF

HughF Member

If you want full power out of it you will need .8 wire, the motor won't push .6mm fast enough to keep up with the full voltage of the machine

4. andy28

andy28 Member

shropshire
    mate just a though looking inside the welder could the welder have the 4mm to 6mm adaptor, seems like on gasless there was not much weld splatter ..
    Thanks
    Andy

Memmeddu likes this.
  5. arther dailey

arther dailey Member

certainly cant complain too much about that at the price can you .thanks Hugh

Memmeddu likes this.
  6. HughF

HughF Member

The torch uses a standard 4mm nylon hose to feed the gas up to the valve block inside the torch, there is no gas solenoid in this machine.

You could remove the 10mm push fit adapter from the back and fit a hose barb if you wanted. Personally I'd just put a length of 6/10 nylon hose in there with a 3/8bsp on the end for your regulator.

The gasless welds well, I'm impressed. It's like a never ending 6011 rod...

Memmeddu likes this.
  7. andy28

andy28 Member

shropshire
    Hi mate it dose look great on gasless compared, i'm really debating in getting one of these as the transformer mig I have is very old and has few jobs needed doing to it ..

8. antonio costa

antonio costa Member

Seems quite good for the price!! Always nice to have this kind of review

9. Flyhappy

Flyhappy New Member

Hi Hughf I got one of these little unit's surprised how small they are. Can you tell me when you turn mig voltage up does the the meter reading go up and down with it as the one I have it seems to only work on wire speed control not mig control doesn't seem right to me?

Memmeddu likes this.
  10. HughF

HughF Member

I don't think it does, which makes sense really. The amps is a function of the wire feed speed and arc voltage. Increasing the wire speed will increase the current delivered across the arc.

Memmeddu likes this.
  11. HughF

HughF Member

I have been using this in anger over the last few weekends. Still going strong, running the gas less mig side to make some steel door frames out of 3/4 material. Also used the stick function with some fresh 7016 to modify some digger bucket ears. Plenty of power available off a 13a plug. So far, definitely a handy machine to have at this location.

antonio costa and Memmeddu like this.
  12. MyHouseIsOnFire Member

Howdy, so the the Static Arc MIG 140FL has finally arrived. It has 2 nobs side by side one on the left labeled Mig Voltage and the one on the right labeled Wire Speed. Both nobs are numbered from 1 to 10. When the voltage nob is turned it goes from 30 to 140 on the LCD display (Labeled Current) i will assume this is the amps and not volts. How do i know my voltage rate if the LCD display is reading amperage and nobs are labeled from 1 to 10? Lets say i want the voltage to be at 20 volts where should i set the dial? Thanks

s-l1600ff.jpg

Memmeddu likes this.
  13. HughF

HughF Member

Short answer, you can’t set the voltage to a specific value using the front panel display.

You will need to get the settings dialled in through trial and error, just like you would with a machine that had no display and no calibrated voltage control.

Memmeddu likes this.
  14. Memmeddu

Memmeddu Member

I think that he should hook some meters and write somewhere the currents/voltages curve with the various settings

15. MyHouseIsOnFire Member

Ah I see, seeing has though you have used it successfully any chance of real life examples of what you have had it set to on the dial (1-10) for thickness of 1, 2 or 3mm plates?

Memmeddu likes this.
  16. MyHouseIsOnFire Member

Any links for a device like this?

Memmeddu likes this.
  17. MyHouseIsOnFire Member

I reckon the LCD display on this machine has nothing to do with MIG welding and is only referred to when doing stick welding.

18. HughF

HughF Member

That depends on shielding gas, wire diameter and joint position.

What gas type and wire diameter do you intend to run?

I've put 3 rolls of gasless through mine, not done much solid wire with it.

The ammeter on mine varies with the wire feed speed knob, as far as I remember. I'll check come 5pm and I finish working

19. MyHouseIsOnFire Member

The wire currently installed is 0.8 for gasless. This is the wire that came with it. I will assume joint position is standing up or layed flat. It's layed flat. Thanks

Memmeddu likes this.
  20. Memmeddu

Memmeddu Member

Just a dc clamp meter , connect the testing probes to the dinse connectors , you weld and someone reads the values on the meter
    This way you will find the voltages settings
    (Using DC voltage function)
    Put the ground lead into the clamp and again weld and change the settings , someone who reads and writes somewhere the results
    You should do these readings with various wire type and sizes if you want more accurate results for different types of wire

Advertisements