Standard 23C Engine Rebuild.

1. arther dailey Member

that looks excellent , how many have you got out now ?

2. Anthony Spencer

Anthony Spencer Member

Hi Arthur
    None yet (LOL) just waiting for the plates to weld in then at lleast 2 will be coming out in short order I am hoping

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  3. arther dailey Member

following this with interest

4. Anthony Spencer

Anthony Spencer Member

I need to find a 150mm length of 100mm I.D Black Iron Pipe to make a 2nd liner puller so that No,s 1 & 4 can be pulled at the same time until I can remove the big end caps. The plan is to use a piece of 18mm bar with a 22 mm hole in it to bridge the pipe. then a length of 20mm HT Studding (and a bit of luck)

5. arther dailey Member

I wish I could say I have some , but I dont ,sorry

6. Anthony Spencer

Anthony Spencer Member

I will see what Metal Supermarkets have.
    I do not want to spend a fortune as it will be a one use item (Hopefully)

7. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

76mm is closest I have. :(

8. arther dailey Member

dont know about that , my 23c might get rebuilt one of these days.....:whistle:

9. Anthony Spencer

Anthony Spencer Member

Thanks slim_boy_fat but 100mm is as smaller Diameter as I can go The Bore is 3 5/16" and the add thickness of liner

10. fatfranky Member

Co. Durham UK
    Thanks Anthony

Been back on it tonight, had a sudden idea, rather than drifting the pistons upwards I decided to employ hydraulics with a bottle jack and a long 1/2” extension pushing the piston upwards. No 4 came straight out I then turned my attention to No 1 which moved about 1/2” then stuck I then knocked it back down, jacked it up again about 1”, knocked it down again and so on.

I got it to the point where it was protruding out of the block by about 1/2” but wouldn’t come out. I then moved on to pistons 2&3 as no1 was protruding through the block I was able to swing the crank past its conrod, 2&3 came out without too much fight, so the plan is to take a flap wheel next time I’m down to clean up no 1 in order to get piston out.

So overall very pleased, crank turns freely and smooth, big end bearings appear to be in good shape so it looks like I may get away with pistons and liners

I’m still keen to do the glow plug upgrade if anyone can provide more info

arther dailey likes this.
  11. Anthony Spencer

Anthony Spencer Member

Go over to the FE 35 page on FB and ask.
    There is a company up north that does a 4 plug conversion for about £500

12. Anthony Spencer

Anthony Spencer Member

That is great progress.
    The flap wheel should make all the difference.
    My engine was bought as just a seized block assembly so no way I could jack from underneath.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  13. Anthony Spencer

Anthony Spencer Member

Cobbler likes this.
  14. Anthony Spencer

Anthony Spencer Member

Well that optimism was short lived.

Tried pulling liners and pistons as one unit but liners broke just above the piston.[​IMG]
    I guess now I can fill with release oil with more of a chance it will soak down the side of the liners.
    Don't you just love working on old engines

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  15. arther dailey Member

not sure "love" is the correct word really;) , but at least its not your daily driver eh

16. Anthony Spencer

Anthony Spencer Member

It was always a gamble with the amount of pitting there was, but hey ho I do love a challenge

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  17. Rig Pig

Rig Pig Member

Is that the same as a BMC engine?

18. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Do you have access to someone with an hydraulic press, say 20 ton and upward, more for space in the press as opposed to capacity. My 10 tonner I built [see my 'Stuff you have Made today' iirc thread with progress updates inc pics. ?

Depending on size mine might just be capable, even if I had to jury-rig some kind of setup :). But I'm here and you're there, I'm pretty sure someone closer to you on here will join in, failing which take it to a local garage who I'm sure'd do the deed in no time flat using theirs, either free gratis to perhaps snare you as a potential future customer, or at worst for beer tokens, or [shhhh] for cash in hand. And before anyone mentions cheating on the VAT and its effect on the Exchequer, we all know it still goes on in some cases and prolongs the 'black economy, until the trades stop the practise by not offering it as an 'option', not likely any time soon. :vsad:

19. Anthony Spencer

Anthony Spencer Member

Sadly access to underside of the piston is very limited due to the position of the crankshaft and the design precludes the removal of the crankshaft until you get pistons and con rods out of the way.

I have a 10 tonne press

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  20. Anthony Spencer

Anthony Spencer Member

Hi No this is the old Standard Motor Company 23C made from I believe 1956 - 1968
    They were used in the FE35 tractor 1956 - 1958 and the Allis Chalmers ED40 until 1968
    This block has a casting date of 1968 and is one of the last one built

Rig Pig likes this.
Advertisements