Standard 23C Engine Rebuild.

1. Anthony Spencer

Anthony Spencer Member

Well I have aquired a Standard 23 C Diesel engine which I intend to rebuild.
    The engine has been stood with the head off for the last 15 years so cylinder bores are very heavily rusted.
    [​IMG]

The liquid you can see is Plusgas.
    I am sorely tempted to fill the bores with citric acid to dissolve the rust (What do you guys think)
    to make piston removal easier.
    Once I have the pistons out the plan is to pull and replace the liners and pistons as part of the complete overhaul.
    The 23c engine was notoriously bad to start so attention to detail especially with the timing will be paramount.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  2. 8ob

8ob Forum Supporter

Now there`s a challenge :laughing:, horrid things. May as well do the glow plug conversion while the heads off.

Bob

500e, jpmillermatic and bletchmonster like this.
  3. Anthony Spencer

Anthony Spencer Member

For my sins Bob I have 2 of them
    One in my tractor which is a bitch to start and this one that I am hoping once rebuilt will start easier

8ob likes this.
  4. Tim W Member

Swindon, UK
    much of the 23c's bad start rep is down to stretched timing chains and bad timing.
    With a new quality chain and accurate timing you'll be surprised how well the start, even in the
    cold

5. Anthony Spencer

Anthony Spencer Member

That is what I am hoping Tim.
    I will make sure I have all the tolerances right and new chain and tensioner

6. jpmillermatic

jpmillermatic Member

USA-NY
    Ill be following along as I dont know much about engine rebuilds at all....looks to be a labor of love!

JP

7. Anthony Spencer

Anthony Spencer Member

Definitely a labor of love but great to go back to basics compared with modern tractors

8. x 2 for that, particularly pump timing.

Strange things, some engines. The single pot Dennis in my Avatar wont run on NGK plugs - even new ones, but on a collection of old KLGs, Lodges, Autolite and even a new Champion D16 - no problem.

9. Tim W Member

Swindon, UK
    I'd look for a quality chain, Bepco parts tend to be better than the Sparex ones, which are often rebranded
    chinesioum parts. not sure if you can get an SKF chain for the 23c but I'd pay extra for a branded one.
    Also, be aware that the one or both of the sprockets can be turned/reversed to give a 1/4 tooth variation in timing
    ( hang on.. that might be the Te20.... find a good manual and check that!)

10. Anthony Spencer

Anthony Spencer Member

Thanks Tiim

I have contacted Renolds in Manchester for a new timing chain.

This should be fun to do after the Fords, Perkins and Bedfords I cut my teeth on all those years ago.

At least now I only do the ones I want to do not the ones I was had to do.

11. arther dailey Member

I would soak the pistons with diesel, but wether that will work on one that bad is another thing, my fe35 starts fine, strange some do some really dont .

12. Anthony Spencer

Anthony Spencer Member

Well they are soaking in Plusgas at present.
    I am in no hurry so letting them stand for awhile is not a problem.
    I may have to try and push the piston and liner out as a unit then separate them once I have them on the bench

arther dailey and slim_boy_fat like this.
  13. Anthony Spencer

Anthony Spencer Member

I spent some time today with a flap wheel and removed most of the surface rust.[​IMG]
    Then hoovered out the debris and added fresh penetrating oil.
    I am hoping that eventually I will be able to push the pistons out separate from the liners.

No 3 Before [​IMG]

No 3 After [​IMG]

I will finish off with a few passes with the cylinder hone.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
    zx9 likes this.
  14. arther dailey Member

looking forward to see how this rebuild goes.:thumbup:

15. Anthony Spencer

Anthony Spencer Member

It is probably going to be a long running thread @arthur dailey

arther dailey likes this.
  16. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

@Anthony Spencer How about carefully heating the block a little around the piston [not red hot, hot :whistle:], then using a block of wood and a medium-size persuader to try drifting the piston upwards/downwards? :dontknow:

17. Anthony Spencer

Anthony Spencer Member

When I am ready to remove the pistons I will definitely heat the block by placing it in front of the propane jet heater so that it heats the whole block not just localised heat.
    At present the plan is to just let the penetrating fluid soak through.
    I am considering getting a plate made that I can bolt over the cylinders with 4 valves so that I can use an airline and pressurise each cylinder to push the penetrating fluid down the bores.

18. arther dailey Member

now you have soaked with plus gas I would put the block over a catch can and fill the bores with diesel, then leave for three weeks, helps if you warm diesel slightly(with care) then if no movement, turn over and repeat.

19. 8ob

8ob Forum Supporter

If its having new pistons and liners why not tug the liners/pistons/rods out in one go? You could split the liners in two on the bench afterwards to get at the pistons .

Bob

Shox Dr and slim_boy_fat like this.
  20. merryman Member

Can't see that working, aluminium expands more than cast iron, so the pistons will get tighter the hotter you get it. Heating then allowing to cool may help as it will squish the rust.

Advertisements