Standard 23C Engine Rebuild.

1. Anthony Spencer

Anthony Spencer Member

Problem is Bob with the old 23C Engine you have to lift crank out through flywheel end of the block

So stand block on end fasten lifting eye onto flywheel mounts then lift out with engine crane. (sighs )
    You therefore have to get pistons and rods out before you can remove the crankshaft. ( Photo from service manual)

[​IMG]

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  2. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

^^ I can see where that could be a problem. :laughing:

3. Anthony Spencer

Anthony Spencer Member

Yeah you have to get pistons and con rods out of the way before you can remove the crankshaft and with the crankshaft in there is very limited room to get a ally drift in to drive them upwards HAPPY DAYS

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  4. Anthony Spencer

Anthony Spencer Member

Well as the piston is in the center of the block, my thinking is if you heat the metal surrounding it, it is the heat from that metal that in turn is transfered to the piston. Wont know till I try.

Another problem is I need to remove the dowel pin from the crankshaft, a decent collet style puller is going to set me back £100 +
    I do not want to use mole grips so my thinking is to get a secondhand collet chuck and then attach that to my slide hammer !!!!!

5. slim_boy_fat

Would a S & K micro puller do the job? If you think there'd be a chance it would, you're welcome to borrow it.

upload_2019-10-19_1-57-31.jpeg

6. Anthony Spencer

Anthony Spencer Member

Thank you very much for your kind offer
    I will mic up the Diameter of the dowel and get back to you if I may

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  7. slim_boy_fat

No problem.
    Here's a pic I posted a while ago [note standard mug for reference.....:laughing:]

[​IMG]

The legs can be reversed for pulling 'internal' [blind?] bearings too. :thumbup:

jinjahbiscuit likes this.
  8. Anthony Spencer

Anthony Spencer Member

In the absence of a collet style puller and before taking up slim_boy_fat's kind offer I tried using a large drill chuck tightened up on the dowel and a couple of lever and voila out came the dowel.

9. arther dailey Member

every little victory is astep forward :thumbup:

Advertisements