Spot lights / 'driving' lights & indicators.

1. Morrisman

Morrisman Forum Supporter

Mine doesn’t even have DRL’s, so if driving in town I would be totally blacked out. I’ve only done it once, in three years though.

jimbo84 likes this.
  2. Bullet2012

Bullet2012 Member

Like “smart motorways” :whistle:

arther dailey, voipio and jimbo84 like this.
  3. bill_gj

bill_gj Tired and irritable

You are quite right on the 'electronics' side of things.
    Back in the 80s, Ford sent a lot of their engine ECU and radio production to Sao Paulo in Brazil - the state of some of the assembly work had to be seen.
    Now there's multiple ECUs in cars handling the engine, transmission, entertainment, lights, etc, etc all 'talking to each other via CAN and/or LIN digital communication networks - all it takes is one dodgy connection, deep in the massive wiring loom and your car is worth not a lot.

bletchmonster likes this.
  4. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

My e60 has them [Xenons], they call them "Adaptive" headlights.

zx9 likes this.
  5. Feet 'n Inches

Feet 'n Inches Out of the rat-race at last

Could be a dodgy proposition if the guy you wave out is hit by someone else. First thing he'll say to the police is, "he waved me out". I saw this done by a police driver once: he eased off, wound his window down, gave a slowing-down arm signal and just waited for the driver until the penny dropped. Trouble is nowadays how many people know or remember arm signals?

bill_gj likes this.
  6. RWD3M Member

Saw another one on the M4 on Thursday evening. Pulled in behind and flashed a couple of tiimes then the car pulled into the services. I followed, pulled up alongside and let the driver know. Fair play, she did thank me and eventually found the light switch!

bill_gj and jimbo84 like this.
  7. anjum Member

I bet this thread is going way over the heads of some BMW and Audi drivers...indicators, what are those....

8. sako243

sako243 Member

Can we add to the list manufacturers who think it's a good idea to put indicators inside brake lights? I actually owned one of the worst a 2007 Range Rover Vogue, if you had the brakes on you couldn't see the indicator. Thankfully they changed the design a bit later.

The number of times when someone's hit the brakes and stopped and I've started swearing at them to notice as they pull off they were indicating but only started as they started braking.

Sometimes (maybe most times) the old ways are best. My daily (a Defender) has the indicators and brakes lights a good foot apart :D

9. zx9

zx9 Member

No we are just a bit confused that the rest of you don't have cars that you can go into the modules and select the brightness of the dlrs, how many times you want the indicators to flash, what light level you want the auto headlights to come on, how the cornering lights work, which rear lamps to illuminate with the dlrs, how the emergency brake lights work, the list goes on and on.

The above does require a bit of time with Carly or better still a lap top but it is all doable.

anjum likes this.
  10. anjum Member

and all that while driving 2 inches off the bumper of the car in front and a mobile in their hands.....texting!

11. zx9

zx9 Member

Now that is just silly, the modules do shut down when programming, you need to allow a little more room than that. :)

12. earthman Member

Going back 20 years I fitted them to my Honda Goldwing, the fairing had cut outs for them, the US market had them fitted at the factory but not the UK. On a bike when leaning into a corner, they made a bit of difference of showing up objects on the road I suppose.

Advertisements