Spot lights / 'driving' lights & indicators.

1. Mike B Member

A relay to cut the feature when reversing would cost 50p. Times that by millions of cars. If it illuminates something you dont need to see, it's irrelevant. If it doesn't illuminate something you need to see, its relevant. You're entirely right, when reversing it's pointless

2. minimutly Member

They are one of the biggest motoring mistakes foisted upon us - fair enough when they were at low level, but now manufacturers of vehicles with headlights higher than they should be allowed are now installing them in said headlight - it's blindingly obvious whats going to happen innit!

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  3. arther dailey Member

I think it was a mini coming at me, bloody white light flashing alternated with indicator , agree with most goddam stupid idea , yes some of the cars with clear glass and coloured bulb really dont show up, so do the sensible thing go back to orange lenses damn fashionistas are a pain in the....rant over

slim_boy_fat and Morrisman like this.
  4. bill_gj

bill_gj Tired and irritable

I'm glad its not just me that thinks these spot/fog/driving light indications are a barrow-load of crap.
    I worked in the design/development centre of a motor manufacturer for 35 years and it was a regular thing with new model programmes that they were loaded with crap ideas which were gradually dumped as development progressed. These days more useless junk seems to be getting through to Job1.

Another great hate of mine is the p!ss poor design of indicators on a lot of more recent vehicles. You see huge light clusters, front and rear, and when the indicators are used you get unexpectedly small indicators at the back and a puny orange light in the front lamp - lost inside a huge shiny headlamp moulding containing the headlamp bulb/s. This is often useless when the heads are on at night or when sun reflects during the day.

5. Cobbler

Cobbler Codger bodger

Fiat Ducato headlights get me, they are so high off the ground they shine straight through the back window. What happened to the old rules regarding light positions.

minimutly and slim_boy_fat like this.
  6. KemppiFrog Member

When we built a 'special' in '74, one of the problems was getting the headlights to be 2ft above the road, as the body was very low and there was no room in front of the wheels to do it. So we put them behind the wheels with hatches to cover when retracted. Obvious prob was they were in your line of sight and had to be cross eyed to miss the bulges of the wheel arches.
    Compaired to that, this thread sounds loony, what are they thinking about?

7. Bullet2012

Bullet2012 Member

Ok I get that, but, why do we now see so many vehicles in poor light conditions with only DLR on ?
    Because the designers allow the instrument light to illuminate fooling the driver who has the light switch on the auto position into thinking the vehicle lights are on.
    Personally I believe this is a dangerous design.

8. anjum Member

Easy! It's a new marketing gimmick to sell cars to people who care more about them than driving well.

Morrisman likes this.
  9. frank horton

frank horton V twins are great but 4"s rule.........

no wonder modern vehicles cost so much when new.......all this add-on carp.....

also, there r more cars in junk yards cos of faulty electronics than crashed ones now......where the "lets save the planet"........more carp.....

just buy a pre 2000 car if u can find one that aint rusted out I say.....

arther dailey likes this.
  10. 2011?
    Is that all cars after that date?
    I have a '64 Plate Focus that doesn't have driving lights.

11. voipio Member

Cambridge, UK
    DRLs are a major distraction to me when driving on the road these days. Unfortunately, I find my eyes drawn to the DRLs themselves (manufacturers might say that's the whole idea) so often put a hand up to shield my eyes from them, so I can concentrate on the other parts of the roadscape! Try it. It makes a huge difference. Especially so when there's lots of schoolchildren and parents about (notwithstanding the present Coronavirus situation).

12. arther dailey Member

If they made orange inicators as bright as some of the led Drl s it would be a vast improvement ,then toned down the overly bright Drl s a little, but thats too simple I geuss

13. Morrisman

Morrisman Forum Supporter

I nearly did it on my bike, car coming towards me in an awkward shaped junction, appeared to flash a light to let me out, but it was obvious it wasn’t safe, so i didn’t. It was only after seeing several other cars with side lights flashing at random, with a small turn of the wheel, that it dawned on me it was a new sales gimmick.

14. arther dailey Member

I geuss it will take several deaths a two year enquirey and then more time before they get banned

jimbo84 likes this.
  15. Morrisman

Citroen had them back in the seventies, they never caught on though.

At night it is the sidelight that switches on an off when the indicator operates, and it’s apparently illegal, as sidelights have to stay on when your headlights are on.

16. arther dailey Member

Dont mind the front fogs going on/off , as they are low and not headlamps its pretty simple not to make the mistake of thinking someones flashing you , but the side lights/halos just damn stupid/dangerous when they blink

17. dobbslc

dobbslc Forum Supporter

My Ford van has that stupid feature, I see loads of people driving round with only really poxy front side lights and no rear lights but the dash lit up so bright you can't see out the windscreen!
    I can't turn the dash brightness down far enough!

Bullet2012 likes this.
  18. Morrisman

My Mondeo has a back lit dash, even with the headlights off. As the evening draws in while driving it is very easy to forget to turn lights on.

In the old days your dash lights came on with headlights. If your dash looked a bit dark, it was obvious it was getting dark enough for headlights.

Mike B, Bullet2012 and jimbo84 like this.
  19. jimbo84 Member

The simple things are often the best and this is the best way of knowing you've forgotten to turn your lights on. A common sight now seeing cars driving round in the dark with just the DRLs on, no headlights and no rear lights due to the illuminated dashes, crazy idea.

20. Revs1972

Revs1972 Forum Supporter

I was spooked when I drove my Wildtrak for the first time at night, the thing puts full beam on for you (and turns it off when cars approaching) when there are no streetlights etc. It’s quite handy actually.
    I did notice the standard headlights are quite bright when you turn off into a side road with a car waiting to come out. As the lights are at the head level of most drivers , it right in their eyes.

Advertisements