Spot lights / 'driving' lights & indicators.

1. bill_gj

bill_gj Tired and irritable

Car keen Miggers - can you educate me?

There's a lot of recent-ish models which have the spot/fog/driving light coming on i concert with the indicators.
    To an old git like me, this seems complete boll@x. What's the point?

I can't believe its a legislative requirement; where did it come from?

zx9 and Kram like this.
  2. Kayos

Kayos Member

I had a van that did it, no idea why and I only knew it did because someone moved ot for me on a job

3. garethp Forum Supporter

sw scotland
    Its supposed to help you see round corners, IMO it makes no difference.

Hopefuldave likes this.
  4. jimbo84 Member

Some of them work from a turn of the wheel, it's to throw a little bit of light onto where you're turning.

5. Bullet2012

Bullet2012 Member

It’s another stupid idea, like daylight running lights that do not put the rear lights on as well. Pointless.

probably implemented by the same person that thought smart motorways are a good idea

zx9, dobbslc, Wany and 7 others like this.
  6. Cobbler

Cobbler Codger bodger

I asked a garage about this when in for an MOT, the boss told me he understood it was because so many of the modern cars have the indicator as integral with headlight cluster & cant be seen when the headlights & day running lights are on. I find it very disconcerting when a car comes towards you & the lights start going on & off. The trouble is, I think people think it’s ok I don’t have to use the indicators now, the lights show what I’m doing.

bill_gj and Hopefuldave like this.
  7. Cobbler

Cobbler Codger bodger

But they work during the daytime.

Hopefuldave likes this.
  8. Paul.

Paul. Moderator Staff Member

Downright dangerous in my opinion, last week a car I was following pulled out thinking another driver had flashed him out, I cant believe its legal

9. kcchan Member

It doesn’t really help but I’ve stopped flashing people to let people out, I just stop now. I think too many headlights now have such a sharp cut off, its hard to tell what’s flashing and what’s just a bump in the road.

My car does have adaptive headlights that will put lights on when I turn my wheel but it is only the one side.

minimutly likes this.
  10. Paul.

Paul. Moderator Staff Member

I've never flashed the lights either, If I'm letting someone out I'll make eye contact with them and then hand gesture.

northwest likes this.
  11. brightspark

brightspark Member

that might answer a question I have ,van has built in lower driving lamps when I come out of my drive and go back in turning a few bends they go on and off by themselves .didn't know why and cheesed me off a bit. that answers it

jimbo84 likes this.
  12. voipio Member

Cambridge, UK
    Some of the "into the turn foglights" can be turned off in the vehicle menu system. They're a pain in the posterior. I often think they have a light off, so likely to be a badly maintained vehicle, during a turn.

bill_gj likes this.
  13. brightspark

brightspark Member

I just wanted to put mine on when I want nothing fancy. god knows where half the stuff to operate the gizmos are :dontknow:

Morrisman, bill_gj and Hopefuldave like this.
  14. Mike B Member

So there's two separate things here:

Firstly, as people have said, cornering lights are where the side fog light comes on as you turn the steering wheel. It's a cheap version of some off the cars which have "active headlights" which actually pivot lef/right when you steer. I had them on a volvo and they were actually quite effective.

Secondly, DRL's (Daytime Running Lights, mandatory since 2011) are quite bright and have a tendency to reduce the effectiveness of the indicators, so when the car indicates, the DRL on that side of the vehicle is momentarily switched off until the indicator is switched off. After that, DRLs resume.

stuvy and jimbo84 like this.
  15. Fazerruss

Fazerruss Member

West Yorkshire
    I noticed it on the wifes skoda. At first I thought one of the bulbs had gone. I don't see the point as she was reversing out of the drive to the right and the corresponding front fog light came on then turned off when moving forward????:confused:

16. -Matt- Member

Whereever possible (so when I have sidelights or main lights on) I flash my foglights to indicate someone may pull out or to say thank you as I feel I don't want to dazzle someone with the highbeams. This is irrelevent of the fact that for some reason I appear to be able to flash only the right hand one if I want, or right then left if I pull further.

17. Mike B Member

That's because its purpose is to illuminate whilst cornering, not whilst driving in straight lines. Your normal headlights do that job.

18. voipio Member

Cambridge, UK
    That is effectively an admission of guilt by the manufacturers, that DRLs obscure other objects, be they indicators, pedestrians, cyclists ...

dobbslc and minimutly like this.
  19. Mike B Member

DRLs were designed to make vehicles more conspicuous as owners are now seemingly no longer competent enough to use appropriate lighting based on the conditions. For that reason, legislation took the decision out of idiot drivers' hands. DRLs obscure the indicators as the two are based in the same housing and DRL is brighter than the indicator. I wouldn't say they obscure pedestrians or cyclists. That said, pedestrians should be on pavements, or wearing Hi Vis if on the highway. Cyclists should be wearing Hi Vis and have the option of using lights too.

20. Fazerruss

Fazerruss Member

West Yorkshire
    She was reversing, so this feature is pointless on this occasion.
    You want to see where your going not where you've been.

Advertisements