Cool, cheers for the link
Yeah, I take it the oil can you gave me is for that task? I am really pleased with the beast, it is fantastic! You did a great job restoring her
Want a pump style.
I used the can you have for the rest of it
Wow, the only one of those I can find is £35! I will try and find a vintage one so it's suits the lathe
Did you try the nipple shop?
I nearly googled it.....
Cheers! I had not heard of them but they have a lot better pricing!
The look on peoples face when I tell them to try the nipple shop is great
They never believe me but when I insist they google it they find out I don't speak with forked tongue
Used the rear toolpost to part off some mild steel (24mm OD) really like the VFD speed control
A quick update, I have been happily using the lathe for a couple of months now. Last weekend it stalled for the first time. The gear train bound up and it just slipped on the belt.
Turning it off and back on again and all was well. This weekend I have been making a gear blank for the threading dial. It bound up again and would not release without undoing the gear train bolt.
As I have another MK1 for spares, I decided to put an original quadrant onto the train and replace the MK2 one. Also fitted an original reverse selector.
All went well and I even managed to get the correct gears to create a 1.5mm pitch thread
After a around three hours more turning it bound up again Tomorrow I will remove the plate covering the dog box and check that. I am wondering if the oil is not getting to it?
Anyway, I will take some pics tomorrow when I work out whats happening.
Where it binding?
will be some pics in previous posts here.
It seems to be in the dog box. If I put the lever in 'neutral' it all rotates lovely. When engaged in either screw cutting or power feed mode it binds up and the belt slips?
Odd. There's no adjustment in there. Just the two shafts can't see how it could bind.
Easy enough to get to though.
Never experienced it locking up but didn't use power feed much tbh.
Well you were absolutely correct I took it all apart and the box worked fine. I put it back together and it was still bound up tight. I traced it down to the bronze bearing at the tail end.
I undid the three bolts holding the bearing in and the whole thing rotated. Perhaps I should have been putting oil into it.....
Once I had freed it off and made a tool to set the end float with the two lock nuts, it all works like it should
I have put it on the list of oil points before every turning session
Thanks again for your assistance!
Separate names with a comma.