Show us your bench vice(s)

1. atconut

atconut Member

west yorks uk
    The little fella has no markings I have two. the other is slightly larger. it is most likely to be made in Poland just after the war. beautifully made same quality as the bigger ones

2. MattF

MattF Member

I just get my enamel from the local auto paint place Eschen. I go with their mid range one. It's a synthetic poly., satin finish. Seems to hold up quite well. 14Line I believe is the base manufacturer.

That's one area where I tend to differ from most. I love to see the surface roughness of cast pieces. I stopped using primer mainly for that reason, as it made cast look way too smooth for my liking. I just apply enamel straight to the cast these days. It's one of my little quirks. :D

eSCHEn likes this.
  3. eSCHEn

eSCHEn Bit Wrangler Staff Member

Good to hear you do it that way Matt. I've seen a few of your restorations on here and they look fantastic - it's exactly like that I'm aiming for.

Cheers for the tip on paint supplies. Will hunt a place out.

4. MattF

MattF Member

Cheers. Now I know that's the usual, I'll keep my eye out for one. With never having seen one in the flesh, I wasn't sure if the lack of any branding meant they might be a fairly modern knock-off, but sounds like that's not the case. I can remember seeing one recently which had that slightly L shaped jaw insert and wondering whether to bid on that one or not. Ended up giving that one a miss though.

5. MattF

MattF Member

Remember that cameras and decent lighting tend to always make things look slightly better than in reality though. :D Joking aside, I think you'll like the look of straight enamel onto cast. Just make sure you wipe the cast down at least twice with mineral spirits or suchlike before painting. Heating the cast up somewhat helps too. That'll help get any trapped moisture out and also make the enamel flow better if you apply it whilst the cast is still warm. I usually stand mine in front of an electric fan heater for a few minutes, if I want to warm them up.

6. atconut

atconut Member

west yorks uk
    here's a Woden number 1 4" jaws a bit dusty it's been on top of the cupboard for ages 20150227_154811.jpg

7. atconut

atconut Member

west yorks uk
    notice I always put a rubber "O" ring on each end of the handle. I hate the clatter it makes when the bar slides through

roofman and Maker like this.
  8. atconut

atconut Member

west yorks uk
    Here is a rare one it's a Stanley Jersey number 654 WITH 3" jaws made in USA 20150227_155342.jpg 20150227_155342.jpg 20150227_155311.jpg

MattF likes this.
  9. atconut

atconut Member

west yorks uk
    I've saved the best one till last. I thought someone may have spotted it in a previous photo.
    come on lads I've shown you mine now show us yours

10. brewdexta

brewdexta Forum Supporter

Yorkshire
    Here's my bench vice, 4 1/2" jaw Fortis, it came with the house along with the bench

fortisvice.jpg

Here's one the neighbour gave me, I believe it is tool grinding vice. I had to leave it in a bucket of diesel for a month, it all works now, just needs some TLC.

grindingvice.jpg

RonnieM and MattF like this.
  11. atconut

atconut Member

west yorks uk
    That's a Jones Shipman grinding vice not in the best condition but look how much they are on fleebay well worth some TLC

12. Zbro7863

Zbro7863 It's complicated

how do i post a new thread

13. CRB

CRB Member

Choose the forum you wish to post your new thread in. Top right just above the blue line, is an orangey button with 'Post New Thread' in it.

14. MattF

MattF Member

I like that one. Always been partial to those with the bolt on top section. I finally managed to get hold of a Parkinson like that a year or two ago.

[​IMG]

atconut likes this.
  15. roofman

roofman Purveyor of fine English buckets and mops

post new thread...go to the chosen section and click on the " post new thread"
    post....just scroll down till you see post reply and go for it :)

16. brewdexta

brewdexta Forum Supporter

Yorkshire
    Blimey - I didn't know they were going for that much, having said that, asking and getting are two different things :laughing:

17. CRB

CRB Member

18. Maker

Maker nEw mEmBeR

19. MattF

MattF Member

By eck, that's one weird looking vice. :D I find it strangely appealing though. :D

20. CRB

CRB Member

It appears that Dawn are the only manufacturers. The capacity is not great, even the largest 6" one, but would be useful in some circumstances, full grip of a long piece standing up, rather than an inch on one end of the jaws.

Advertisements