Show us your bench vice(s)

1. MattF

MattF Member

On an unrelated point, it may not be too long before you're suffering the pleasure of my company Andy. :D It's just pure chance that a vice happens to be listed near you too. :whistle: :D

brewdexta likes this.
  2. Maker

Maker nEw mEmBeR

It better not be that one, I've got dibs:whistle:.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  3. MattF

MattF Member

You know how CRB made that joke earlier? :whistle: I might just have put the token starting price bid on it to dump it into my bid/watch list, incase I decide to bid on it properly. :D

There's a Samsonia down your way on Ebay Maker. Leatherhead is your end of the country? If that one doesn't get any silly bids, that's up at a decent start price, and that is only just slightly smaller than the 8. That's a 37. The jaws are 4-5/8" on those if I recall, and they weigh around 28 kilo, so around 70lb.

4. Rig Pig

Rig Pig Member

Leatherhead always sounds like something from 50 shades!

MattF likes this.
  5. Maker

Maker nEw mEmBeR

Never heard of it so it's probably far away:rolleyes:.

6. MattF

MattF Member

That's me getting Suffolk and Surrey confused. :D

7. Maker

Maker nEw mEmBeR

:doh::laughing:.

8. atconut

atconut Member

west yorks uk
    20150212_193928.jpg Mattf you're not on you're own with the vice fetish. ive had a thing about vices for years sadly ive got rid of a few recently but i'll get some pics tomorrow of some of mine. here's a little teeser View attachment 60649

Solo, Parm, eSCHEn and 1 other person like this.
  9. CRB

CRB Member

MattF ?Where can I get help?

That IS a beautiful vice.

Ye Gods, I am off for a lie down and a will need to reassess my life.

eSCHEn and MattF like this.
  10. atconut

atconut Member

west yorks uk
    I keep this vice with permanent soft jaws. this is a later pic. I made the jaws myself. they are 1inch thick so I can keep milling the front off when they get damaged. 125mm jaws the "E" stands for engineer 20150225_213637.jpg

Parm likes this.
  11. MattF

MattF Member

Finally, someone else who appreciates a good vice collection. :D That's a nice Leinen. Does that have an adjustable gib strip? Can't wait to see the other photo's. :)

Are the inserts aluminium? Soft inserts are something I want to get get sorted on some of mine. I seem to spend more time covering the inserts with copper pieces these days than I do using them as is, so I think it's time to make the switch. Thinking of casting some lead inserts for some, but I haven't decided what to use for some slightly tougher ones. How do the aluminium ones hold up during use?

How do you find the European style vice to use, btw? Does it take some getting used to with the rear jaw being the sliding jaw, or does it make little difference in use?

12. CRB

CRB Member

I had not noticed that. It must limit what you can hold, because, like most people I suppose, I have my back jaw slightly forward of the bench edge, meaning being able to hold long things end uppermost.

13. atconut

atconut Member

west yorks uk
    Hi mat the jaws are aluminium they hold up quite well depends on what you do its nice to hold a bolt by the thread without damaging it. I know you can get soft jaws that clip on. I have even made a load of then with magnets on the back but if you are holding something right at the end they just pop out. the permanent jaws work really well. lead jaws would be too soft I think. brass would be good but a little expensive. as for the quality of the lienen comparing it to a record is like comparing a Bentley to a kia. nothing wrong with a kia but what would you rather have

Millentubby likes this.
  14. MattF

MattF Member

That's 'cos you were too busy drooling over it. :D I'm waiting for your 'look at what I bought today' post to appear. :D

Seems to be a style preferred by our European counterparts for their engineers vices, so I'm guessing it must have some merit. Unless they tend to just be more precision rather than grunt work like us, that is. :D

15. atconut

atconut Member

west yorks uk
    jaws are quite easy to make. just buy stock the right size and drill and countersink. make them bigger than the original jaws then you can face them up as they get damaged. you will find most of the damage will be at the ends. I can take 15mm off the face before I reach the bolt heads

MattF likes this.
  16. atconut

atconut Member

west yorks uk
    Don't know how much you can take on a Friday afternoon mat so here's just a little one 60mm jaws 20150227_131529.jpg

MattF likes this.
  17. MattF

MattF Member

The lead ones would only be for really fine pieces, so not liable to take much abuse. Might give aluminium a try too though. It's usually one of those metals I try to avoid using when possible, but it sounds like it's quite decent for the task. If I had the facilities for melting, I'd sort some brass or copper ones, but a furnace is still on the to-do list as yet. :D

Notable difference then. :D

18. eSCHEn

eSCHEn Bit Wrangler

You and me both CRB. That is a lovely bit of kit.

I either need more or less drugs, all I know is what I'm taking now isn't correct... :)

How did you do the finish on that atconut? Some sort of light machine oil?

MattF and CRB like this.
  19. atconut

atconut Member

west yorks uk
    powder coated

eSCHEn likes this.
  20. eSCHEn

eSCHEn Bit Wrangler

Looks amazing.

I need to do my record up and that is a finish to strive for. Expensive?

Advertisements