shed roof change

1. Ton-up

Ton-up Member

Use 'barn paint' to change its colour. Its great stuff.

Member 66062 likes this.
  2. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

some info the shed is in front garden officially your not allowed to build shed in a front garden or in lew of a front garden that includes a side part thats infront of the main building

steve is correct that its mainly to do with reflection hence why you cant build greenhouses within a front garden either

also comes down to your neighbours as well sheds or greenhouses need planning permission back garden was do anything within reason and could get away with it

for now im hoping painting the old sheets a different colour until i can get hold of some composite box profile roofing sheets at least with planning we have a time limit to build too that means I believe that composite roofing can be bought and fitted to whats been advised to the council without any cribbing from the council as thats whats been submitted to the council

also been advised to board the roof

ive got no idea what paint to use other than its got to be metal paint as goes for colour id probably match to the marley roof tiles as they are a dark grey / blue type I think

3. arther dailey Member

barn paint, any specific brand or is it something you can get anywhere? thanks Arther.

4. T0rnado69

T0rnado69 DIY nut !!

got that sorted out yet ?

5. Ton-up

Ton-up Member

The one I use is Bedec.

6. vladrat Member

any reason why you cant use a couple of tins of bitumen paint?says on the tin it can be used for exterior metalwork,might be cheaper?

BarrieJ and Member 66062 like this.
  7. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

already sorting it out but im not underneath so told him one day to his face what will happen and im looking forward to it

so he knows its going to be me, and that I will use the regs against him

anyway for the pics

im changing the angle of the fall of the roof giving next door neighbour what he has requested that we remove the gutter from his land saves hassle with solicitors

ive included everything thats been said by him about the shed been an eyesore, however council state its a nicely built job

the slope of the roof will be towards the right side towards our own land

20150823_115309.jpg

so will match the fall of the rd

the front is where the gutter will be placed and also for water collection

20151022_125522.jpg

because the shed is mismatched we may have to paint the property as it was suggested we match to the surrounding buildings

as you can see ive kept the roof low and ive only highered it 4" to take the box profile roofing looks high this side but due to fall of the rd is high 2.5m the rear isnt high at only 2.1m

Olderisbetter likes this.
  8. arther dailey Member

Member 66062 likes this.
  9. arther dailey Member

bedec ,appreciate that will see who stocks it .thanks Arther

10. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

im posting this up for others to see the effects of cold roofs and warm roofs usage

here you will see what happens when its done incorrectly

for thermal bridging between facia, walls

11. dannyp Member

sounds like you've got a bored old grumpy neighbour

barn paint is magic stuff sticks to anything and stays there dosent seem to care if you bother to do any prep ether

12. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

just an update to this post.

we have one complaint submitted to the council department of planning which we knew would happen

heres an edited copy of there submitted complaint

https://www.dropbox.com/s/icmnu4w5g1e6c5v/shed 1 - Copy.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ee6pxs1sr2pfdqf/shed2.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/akkej2a5guoj1dd/shed3.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qt7oosiytbfiq2d/shed4.JPG?dl=0

the view of how the old shed used to look was found via google street view

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ruqchc4prewto1o/shed Copy.jpg?dl=0

1st picture

the green line is the next doors neighoors bounday wall that was sloping to clear the water away from the shed wall

ive built on top of this to straighten the wall for better water proofing of the shed wall

the black line is the proper level from front to back

how it looks at the moment before new plans was submitted to the council planning department

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5q7coe25naso8t4/20151022_125235 - Copy.jpg?dl=0

2nd picture

the green line is the next doors neighoors bounday wall

the black line is the proper level from front to back

the red line is the original roof slope of the building

the blue line would be the level line of the old pitched roof

It is at the end of any more complaints to be submitted to the council and has now progressed to the council reviewing the submitted building plans which is now a further 2 weeks to go

13. lexi Member

paisley
    Jeez o Gaz! You are nearly plumb bond with that block work mate.
    Were you waving to people in the street when building it? :laughing:

14. CornishPete Member

Figure 2_ Fig_ 2_—Section of a Hollow Wall_ _(1).png is the shed wall definitely the boundary? I've built things right up to neighbours boundary quite a few times and if done properly the concrete foundation should be 300mm wider than the thickness of the wall therefore if the trench for the foundation goes right up to the boundary then the wall I build is actually 150mm away from the boundary, just enough to fit some gutters, and neighbours can't complain!
    this is an old fashioned picture but hopefully you can see what I mean!

15. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

lexi its no fun working upside down while laying blocks as no access to next doors garden as im stood on this roof below whilst laying those blocks and as it was being cement rendered to match the buildings pre existing cement render at rear and a side it didnt matter that much as you can see with the front picture below

the 3 boundary walls are the shed walls the shed roof sits on top of them has been like that for well over 35 years to my knowledge

the side wall is the street boundary wall

shed1 copy.jpg

its hard to explain but as you see it with the picture im on the rd taking the photo that opening is our garden so anything above that grey sign post is actually my next doors garden except for the shed as with old property land was swapped with neighbours often over the years

for what im aware of that shed was swapped before we bought it for a piece of land at rear of property otherwise next door wouldnt have a back garden

this front view we are looking at is the boundary wall, the left side of it is also the boundary wall, the right side of it is the boundary wall to the street

this is the front view of the entrance of the shed
    20151022_125522.jpg

16. lexi Member

paisley
    Only teasing Gaz. There is no load on it of course. It is the old school Craft in me that makes my eyes hurt when looking at chaotic bonding :laughing:
    If you cannot get bonding as you would like, a course of 4" wire mesh on the bed can help strengthen. It is also good along the Lintels and then tied into the other courses. Stops cracking and movement around those openings with concrete block.
    I have had to render walls up as I built them on the boundary. Sometimes only a foot from another wall.
    Nice at the front!

17. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

thanks for the info lexi

ive had to get these photos as next door neighbour has lied to the council via a submited document same reason why ive had to line them as well need the old roof design in pics to prove its not a flat roof building and that i havent built 3 foot higher on any part of the shed

something my next door neighbour has claimed has happened as he wants a flat roof built on the shed

that right side at the front had to be repaired as too many wood door and frame that got kicked in by thiefs had damaged the original block wall too much to get a secure point for the new metal frame and door the left side is birkby engineering brick its solid as hell as its that old

council thought the concrete lintel was overkill but its a 30" steel door and was cheaper to use a concrete lintel above the door even though its not holding too much weight above it

if i have my way im not painting the front of it

the plans mean that id be losing that roof as the guttering would be on our side sloped towards our land all the rest are walls

18. CornishPete Member

I believe that even if the roof was flat you could alter it to a pitched roof as long as the ridge is no more than 2.5m high without needing planning permission.
    also the roof sloped towards your neighbours originally so presumably the gutters were on his side too? It's clear he's being an awkward sod for no reason! I wouldn't worry too much, you can comply with all necessary rules and regulations fairly easily and cheaply I'd make sure you inform the council of his greenhouse situation then make sure you inform him that what goes around comes around!

19. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

naughty neighbour

since then ive been noticing rising water within the shed and been hearing running water for a while, I am sure the roof isnt leaking in as water issues have never been an issue until i changed the roof before the new change to it as the box profile roofing was dripping water from the metal.

I know its not a water main as the main water is 6' deep in that corner and has always been dry even with the water leak that was repaired years ago.

this was the photo taken at same time of the video it had got to stage it was a puddle of water on the floor of the shed that you could splash in.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z0kmqqcyuhpq5el/20160508_101613.jpg?dl=0

on investigating the issue of water problems I found this

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mswzwrpu3fa34h7/20160508_101212.mp4?dl=0

24 hrs after the hose pipe has been removed away from the back shed

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sjo4g7fymbl7a7s/20160509_110343.jpg?dl=0

this last photo shows the hosepipe actually turned off

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sp6iyyiqmvihuay/20160509_110119.jpg?dl=0

now i suspect the water tubs to be tipped and refilled at back of the shed.

I also understand this can be classed to a number of things criminal damage, undermining the foundations by erosion and damage to property held within the shed building tools and electrical goods

20. justin Member

If I was in your position I think that my neighbor would be wearing a hozelock neck tie right about now.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
Advertisements