shed roof change

1. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

my dads old shed that i have full usage now used to be plyboard and torch on felt with a window in the middle for light
    never liked it so first thing i did to it was redo the shed roof and use box profile roofing as got it for a bargain
    one big mistake wasnt aware that it drips like a swine when cold and still drips often when your inside warming it up with breathing

has condensation problem with metal roofing

20150508_130102.jpg

im now changing it to a cold roof box profile roofing with an apex as its only 9' 4"width x 11' 2"for size of shed if any higher the shed has a bad habit of reflecting sunlight into windows

though I just want to tidy it up and be water tight

heres the cold roof idea im using

Ruukki_roof_parts_understructure.ashx.jpg

then i can insulate with the free rolls of insulation that i have
    heres my intention felt the rafters with breathable felt then lathe the rafters like illustrated and then using a further breathable felt drooped into the middle between the rafters as a second barrier

between the rafters is the insulation and using bubble insulation nailed to the rafters for added insulation propertys

only one problem neighbour dosnt like it and its really not blocking there view and the council wont do a thing due to the length of gardens that is here
    even threatened that theyed contact the council as it should remain a flat roof though if it does remain this way all i will do is lower the front edge by 4" to give enough fall of the roof of water

apex side has been built tonight gonna see what happens tomorrow now and its not that higher than whats shown in the pic above by 4" for the apex part

2. CompoSimmonite Member

There is a max height for such buildings so as long as you don't exceed that then council won't get involved even if neighbours complain.
    From http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/outbuildings -

"Maximum height of 2.5 metres in the case of a building, enclosure or container within two metres of a boundary of the curtilage of the dwellinghouse."

I think this is the rule applicable to yourself by looking at the picture rather than -

"Outbuildings and garages to be single storey with maximum eaves height of 2.5 metres and maximum overall height of four metres with a dual pitched roof or three metres for any other roof."

3. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

thankyou for that info im around 7-8' high on the out building nearest house is across a main road 20ft away ours and next door hits 100ft away from our houses and he has green houses infront of my shed and the latest build a wood shed extended so isnt the view being obstructed or there right to light as the green houses gets light all day long and night time till dusk

we always get reflected sunlight from there greenhouses

its really just an outbuilding shed thats always been used with electric in it and water its on our land but theres a but to it
    every neighbour we have had has always demanded thats there shed but its on our deeds to the house and we have had registry here and they confirmed its our property due to water and electric thats 30 years +

steel door is not a standared door its smaller on height but 30" on width as i cut it down from a factory door to fit it

4. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

for those that dont know the cold roof method

coldroof1a.jpg

the red is the insulation whilst the blue is fresh air into the roof under your laths mine is brick built walls so no insulation is there

5. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

I decided to do the roof as illustrated above so heres the pics as the reroofing was done during the weekend had some loverly weather but the rain did spoil it a little

photo taken as it just started to rain heavy and lightning as well and its fully waterproof with just the felt on the rafters

ive reused used 3x2 wood from a job im working on the beams are original ones and the nogins to the roof to the beams
    beams are tied into the wall which is birkby red brick good solid engineering bricks
    the whole shed is done with them its that solid around it

20150822_190246.jpg
    got to finish the building the wall and install a security light high
    20150823_115222.jpg 20150823_115309.jpg
    as living on a hill ive stuck to the 2.5metre high rule on there side my side is higher due to the fall of living on a hill but I have lowered the apex a little

the roof build has only been highered about 4" higher in the middle instead of being at the end of the roof so got a better fall
    20150823_200430.jpg 20150823_200455.jpg

6. roofman

roofman Purveyor of fine English buckets and mops

Take a power feed off that lamp post:whistle:

7. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

also done some more to it but ive wrecked the shed until the work has been done to it now ripped wall down on above picture and rebuilt it now has a double wall

20150923_085557.jpg

then on built an internal wall to stop damp coming through

old pic as you can see its damp and moldy at that

20150707_193358.jpg

new wall

20150923_201640.jpg
    beams are there for me to stack upon and the osb 11mm is the boarding for the roof after ive insulated it first

next upgrade for shed is new mains wire from house to shed I know its 2.5mm wire but if im going to use more stuff in there im going to have to upgrade the wire to a new mains wire dosnt help being 30 metres of wire needed

8. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

ive wanted to insulate this thing for a while so while done the roof and walls ive also insulated it as well

20151001_173518.jpg from this 20150508_124827.jpg this one has a double insert to stop the breathable felt from melting with the heat of it also you can cut the felt same size as your flue pipe as it stretches good enough 20151016_130117.jpg 20151016_132332.jpg the spacer shims i use to hold it off the sides 20151016_133932.jpg 20151016_135015.jpg

9. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

well ive just been reported to the building control on this build

I suspected that they might do

its except from building regulations point of view however ive been pulled about the overhang onto the pathway and also my wood burner which is a rocket stove type of build which is clean burn the issue has to be brought up with epa regulations

10. Rocketman Member

Yep overhang on path and wood burner are big no-no without planning permission.

You may get away with retrospective planning permission on the wood burner - you are taking the building into the habitable category.

I can't see you getting away with the overhang on the path with retrospective planning - it's simply not your property.

Member 66062 and JalanK like this.
  11. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

the overhang must be changed there is an option too change it so the gutter is on boundary wall itself im fine with that and that is the only advisement upon the high way to change

however its a trip to the planning office to see if i need planning or not now with measurements and photos included of the out building and the boundary walls we have 2 boundary walls one is the highway the other is next doors property either side of the shed looking at the door way the boundary walls is the shed walls and it just short of 10' across it

the rocket wood burner was mentioned and was quoted its not a smokeless system however it is and some people dont know the technology for it
    was quoted for it being a multi burner or wood stove both are different and some systems dont use secondary air within them

there is a mention of boundarys for a wood stove chimney has to be away from by a certain metreage but wasnt so sure and is asking someone else with enviromental health also quoted the height of the wood stove i know its under the required height of 600mm of the apex roof but apex needed to be installed before i could use a proper secure points to hold the chimney in place safetly also due to it being near a public highway

so at least its down to planning see what we come up with and how to go from here at the moment and what sort of compromise we can do

the roof was changed from a sloping roof to an apex roof but interesting part ive been accused of changing it from a flat roof to an apex roof height adjustment 4-5" higher than the sloping roof

12. cumbriasteve

cumbriasteve Moderator

When it is finished, I would christen the revamped workshop by making a large weather vane which would then be bolted to the outside wall facing the complaining neighbours, the subject matter of the weather vane would be a hand with a gesture that reminds people of Winston Churchill.

13. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

steve i am more than willing to have that weather vain stuck up and we kinda had a good laugh about it this morning

cheers for that

old property and land swapping is a right pain to deal with at best of times and its been nothing but trouble for the last 35 years

for some strange reason we got offered 2,000 pound for the shed property this morning as they want to straighten the land out by buying the shed and offering to buy a 6' x 4' shed

11' 2' length x 9' 4"width for size of shed

so what do you guys think that piece of land is worth just so it could straighten the next doors garden out

I say its not worth that more like 10,000 in my eyes

mums at pension age im here doing the repairs to the property thats urgently needed

Burdekin likes this.
  14. cumbriasteve

cumbriasteve Moderator

Land has two values I always think, the first is what it is basically worth per sq metre in comparison to other local areas and secondly what it is worth because of what you can do with it.

If it is always going to be shed and nothing else then not as much as if that shed area could be used as a workshop to make money.

I would think it's worth a little bit more than 2k, they have probably offered you half of what they think it's worth, the main thing I would want to know was if someone else owned that land would it affect any other access/right of way, they may know something you don't.

If you decide to sell make sure they meet all solicitor fees, searches and land registry costs etc or your money will soon become a lot less.

gaz1 and addjunkie like this.
  15. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

ive looked and im struggerling to find the info on this problem

one side is the boundary wall to the road side the other side is a single boundary wall the building has existed before we moved into the property and predates 1979

we have some photos and aerial photos so thats no problem on that side its the heights of boundary walls and

i just cant find anything on a pre existing build that was on the boundary walls both sides of the external building to do with heights of a roof

16. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

We today have submitted plans for a change of roof via the planning department suggested upon another forum

finally sorted it out between 2 departments on what was needed. :o:doh: what a bloody headache to deal with.

If had rebuilt as same slope it would have been classified as just maintenance to the shed, but due to issues with the guttering and neighbor.

Submitted plans are for a change of slope to the roof so the water falls towards our property and collected via guttering on our side.

The one thing that was discussed was the box profile colour it was suggested that a dark colour be used instead of its white colour or light colour to the box profile roofing.

We know have to wait for the application to be excepted or failed about 6 to 8 weeks wait, but has been well discussed with the departments involved

gaz

17. roofman

roofman Purveyor of fine English buckets and mops

and all because of a nosey curtain twitcher with too much time to waste:mad:

18. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

exactly that, and wanted to be a bully boy to buy the property and ive called him it as well as next door is up for sale since just after xmas

it also came with a charge of 172.00 for the planning application just for the shed roof to be changed

they could see it was an improvement and was down to maintenance to the property and that it wasnt out of character to the surrounding buildings

one good thing i can reuse most of the materials on the shed again except for the box profile roofing which has to come off and be replaced now

now ive got to find dark coloured box profile roofing as council dont want a light colour used for shed no matter which way the roof pitch is done in

I will get revenge by having his greenhouses removed and his newly built shed in the front garden hopefully will teach him a lesson to check on planning before reporting others to the council for there builds as I intend to do so

julianthegypsy and tones61 like this.
  19. eil Member

N Wales
    What's the reason that you cant use the light colour box profile ?

20. cumbriasteve

cumbriasteve Moderator

Lots of councils don't allow light colours due to sun reflection, if you get the right angle aimed at a window it can be blinding, although that is often only enforced if you need planning permission, many people build within the no permission limits and get away with it (like I did).

Is it not feasible to give them a quick respray Gaz, it may be a lot cheaper than new sheets.

eil likes this.
Advertisements