Sandringham 6x6

1. sako243

sako243 Member

Oops, got distracted this afternoon
    DSC_0658.JPG
    Needed a bigger engine crane to lift it out of the engine bay in one piece
    DSC_0657.JPG

Ton-up, Migmac, MattH and 1 other person like this.
  2. stuvy

stuvy Member

3. sako243

sako243 Member

Meant to be picking apples at my parents in the afternoon for a friend to make some cider.

But I might split the box and engine, find the spare 300Tdi flywheel and offer it up. Supposedly almost a bolt on fit and I happen to have one spare...

stuvy likes this.
  4. sako243

sako243 Member

Well I seem to be acquiring more and more bits but not actually got around to putting anything together (@8ob remind you of anyone? :laughing:)...

Firstly I must say a massive massive thank you to Bob for being a true star and going down to have a look at this before I made the 600 mile round trip to collect it. He's also a tight fisted b****** so haggled when he got there and got a decent amount of money off what was already a bargain.
    DSC_0878.JPG
    So this morning the fun job of trying to unload this began. I'd been thinking on the journey back last night where I wanted to unload it because until it's mounted on the 6x6 I don't particularly want to have to move it around on the forks of the JCB. Decided the most sensible spot was by the temporary workshop as there's power there and all the tools etc., it's also flat, well better then 1 in 3 which in this bit of Wales is flat. Downside is there isn't a lot of room to maneuver.

A lot of hopping in and out of the cab concluded that the forks from @vwmark were an inch or two short from being able to reach all the way through to the frame rail on the other side. Luckily I had just under 3m of box section left from making the headstock which was a reasonable fit over the forks (bit loose) so chopped them in half and the extra 10-12 inches made all the difference in some quick and dirty fork extensions (I have to return the trailer first thing tomorrow).
    DSC_0881.JPG
    And she's up just high enough to drive the trailer out from underneath, with the back actor fully extended and stretched out behind it wasn't too bad tippy wise. Couple of straps just to stop it rocking on the forks made quite a bit of difference as the ground wasn't 100% flat when it was picked up.
    DSC_0879.JPG
    And gently gently back down back onto safe ground.
    DSC_0880.JPG

This afternoon will purloin some more hydraulic fluid from the farm (fairly sure there's a 50 gallon drum over there because for a while it was cheaper for Dad to keep topping up the 360 than get the rams fixed!). Monday when the local tractor factors open I might cheat slightly and grab some quick couplers to hook what was the PTO pump into the JCB's auxiliary circuit so that I can lift all the legs up etc., to drive the 6x6 underneath and start the fabrication of the demountable fixing points.

I have no managed to acquire two hydraulic PTO pumps which is nice, the one that came with this is for the back of an LT230 which could be fitted to the Defender and a friend also had one thrown in with a gearbox and has given me the LT95 hydraulic PTO pump. Once the beds off the 6x6 then I'll mount that in so it's got some hydraulics as well.

jsf55, Migmac, fizzy and 2 others like this.
  5. sako243

sako243 Member

Oh and there's a slight change of plan regarding engines - a friend has given me a very good deal on a Mazda SL35Ti engine with all the adapter plates, radiator and hoses etc., to basically be a bolt in for the 6x6. Once we're able to get that down from Scotland that's the engine going into the 6x6 (I've always thought a diesel would suit it better).

There are off-the-shelf adapters for the 1UZ to a 300Tdi drivetrain - which is conveniently what's in the Defender. So not content with one engine swap I'm now doing two :doh:

slim_boy_fat, Rannsachair and stuvy like this.
  6. stuvy

stuvy Member

Iv got one of the slt35’s it’s a weapon and a half

is the v8 going into the 110?

what engine is in the sandy Landy?

7. sako243

sako243 Member

Nissan LD28 (with transit turbo) in Sandringham 6x6 being replaced with Mazda SL35Ti
    300Tdi in Defender 110 being replaced with Toyota 1UZ-FE

8. sako243

sako243 Member

The main battle will be to keep at least one of the vehicles on the road - I was going to start prepping the 1UZ so it could be mocked up on the bench but having the house sandblasted basically put everything on hold for 2 weeks. Now I've got other jobs that have piled up which I'm trying to work through quickly.

The main thing will be to get the cherry picker mounted on the 6x6 first (even with the current engine) so that I can do work on the house that's needed. Then I can return to putting the 1UZ together and once it's all mocked up then drop it into the Defender.

stuvy likes this.
  9. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

He's a man to be admired! :thumbup: :D

8ob, Wallace, Milkybars and 3 others like this.
  10. sako243

sako243 Member

This was a couple of days ago (Sunday) but thought it prudent to try and fire up the hydraulics to check all the rams etc. It would also allow me to extend all the stabiliser legs such that I could reverse the 6x6 underneath it for mounting options.

There was a plan...

Plan A - JCB Auxiliary
    It has a auxiliary spool valve for hand tools etc., but the couplers were seized. So ran down to the local tractor factors and picked up some new one along with the mating halves. Swapped things over, plugged it all in and then found the spool block was not switching. Bugger an electrical issue to the block and it's in a sod of a place, so sod that.

Plan B - JCB loader's 3rd function
    This I knew worked - it would mean two people required to test hydraulics - one to hold the lever in the JCB and one to operate the cherry picker levers. On my way to pick up some new parts I realised what I might be trying to do wasn't practical. A quick phone call to Bob confirmed it was possible but I'd have to pick up the spool valve instead, which meant hoses needed to be made - so returned home to re-assess.

Plan C - 12V tipper power pack
    This was lying in a box unopened so I opened it but again was going to need some hoses etc., made up so thought I'd look at alternatives.

Plan D - 700 bar 240V power pack
    Again needed hoses etc. so not as trivial just to prove the hydraulics were working

Plan E - LT95 PTO hydraulic pump
    This will be the ultimate goal as a friend gave me a hydraulic pump and PTO setup to go on an LT95 as on the 6x6. Went down to the barn where it's stored and found the linkage seized so would need some TLC before it was functioning. Hmmm....

Plan F - LT230 PTO hydraulic pump
    A PTO setup and pump came with the cherry picker that had been removed from the donor vehicle it wouldn't work on the 6x6 but would work on the Defender so confirmed the everything turned freely and went under the Defender to bolt it all up. It also had the perk of being part of the package so everything just bolted up.
    DSC_0886 (1).JPG

After dumping another 5 gallons of fluid into the cherry picker and hooking up the hoses to the Defender like life-support for the cherry picker fluid was finally flowing.
    DSC_0887.JPG

But... none of the hydraulics worked - another quick call to Bob (amazingly he actually had his phone on him and was answering it!) and confirmed that there was probably a valve somewhere that meant the hand pump was in circuit but not the main pump. Chasing through hoses found an solenoid valve block that looked the ticket so (look away @Parm) the old lawn mower battery was used to hotwire the valve block and bypass all the safety measures*
    DSC_0888.JPG
    And that confirmed all the various functions were working.

* - to be fair when the cherry picker was removed from the original Defender they basically took a hacksaw to the bits connecting the two together. Once it's mounted and movable I will probably re-wire in most of the electricals once I've chased it around.

11. RustyBus

RustyBus Member

Dorset,UK
    This one is parked near us. Picture stolen from google sorry 3F43959A-D6C4-43FD-94D3-D1527FE83468.png

8ob, fizzy, stuvy and 2 others like this.
  12. sako243

sako243 Member

Doesn't look like a Sandringham - looks like someone's just bolted on an extra axle to a 130 in order to support the cherry picker.

In fact it looks very similar (the dodgy drivetrain) to one that @stuvy and I were discussing in PMs). The lack of apparent drive to the rear axle and the trailing arms looks suspiciously similar.

slim_boy_fat and stuvy like this.
  13. stuvy

stuvy Member

I’d say your on the money there

the distance from b post to axle is a 130 and it’s definitely a tag axle

Advertisements