So this morning I got my calipers back from the sand blaster and then rebuild then with all new seals and sliders.
Threw them onto the car so I now have the handbrake at least.
Went back at welding the sill and very pleased with myself to have gotten it all done. Fabbed 2 section and used a pannel from a doner car for the other.
While I'm at it I decided to get some isopol over the welds then to finish it off I know it's under the car and hidden behind the wing pannel bit I'd like to take this opportunity to try hide it all and make it as tidy as possible as I'm going to have to cut in new rear arches and that's exterior pannels so I need to try get it right.
I'll sand it down tomorrow and see how I fair out.
While the wing was off and the welder was out I said I'd tackle these 3 holes sure how hard could it me.
Of course it was a bigger job than expected so went with cutting out the entire area. The top little section has 3 sheets layered and the middle one was also in a bad way so I cut that out too so will patch that one in before getting the final patch pannel in.
As I take out the sealer where the floor pan meets the sill you can. I see that there is some rust it's not corroded badly as I move down the body but what would you do here?
If there's no pitting or bad corrosion I'm thinking of just treating it with rust converter and spraying a coat of epoxy primer down before sealing the gap up?
Will tiger seal work or what should I use?
Little progress I was very happy to see that the floor pan is flat and sits on a flange
So I'll cut out the bad here and replace the flange marked in blue and then I'll be able to add in the floor pan replacement in thinking this "should" be relatively easy.
What I also did today was wired up the battery relocation to the boot and added a kill switch and was able to get the electronics working something I was conscious that I needed to do before the car goes to the mechanic to get the new engine fitted.
Central locking and folding mirrors work two things that usually go on the fritz, didn't go testing the power windows as if they seize when down I'll not have a way to stop the damp as the car sits outside.
Finally finished the passenger side floor and sealed it up. I'll come back and paint it over it in the coming days but this effectively finishes off this section of the car and I'm really chuffed with myself.
While the tiger seal was drying I didn't want to start cutting in the driver side so I decided to make a start the rear arch.
There's quite a lot of shapes and 3 panels that come together so took me a while to brake it down but overall I started making good traction.
I managed to get the inner wheel arch and a second back panel made but only had time to start to tack the first one into place.
Getting this section out it really showed me how bad the inner arch is so I'm probably going to have to cut it all out and replace it and that seems like quite a bit of work and risk of deforming the outer panel trying to get the spot welds out but I'll cross that bridge at a later date
Bit more progress today and managed to finish fitting the two new replacement panels that I started last week and I also fixed a hole along the arch while I had a few minutes.
Before I make the final piece I thought this was the best opportunity to start repairing the arch.
I was able to turn this
I assumed the lip at the bottom was going to be in line with the arch but having test fitting the arch liner it looks like I've not brought it out far enough so I'll have to double check if I've messed up or the liner is warped.
Another section done... you'll see on the top left a section not welded this is the start of where I need to replace the inner arch that I will address later.
I shouldn't have started this area as it's not integral or structural and I need to be more strict with myself on getting the car to a condition where the key elements are all in good nick like fixing holes in the floor, sills and chasis.
I'm off next week so I'm going to prioritise getting the hole in the drivers footwell sorted and repairing some of the chasis frame in that area especially as I know what I'm doing having just done that repair in the drivers side.
Another area on my hit list is this section of the rear sill. The section around the arch seems easy but from the underside it looks like it was crushed and has all broken away.