AE86 booter project

1. Myles1970

Myles1970 Member

Okay, work commitments, demanding kids etc lead me to sell my Hyabusa and use the proceeds to fund a project. Hence, I am now the proud owner of an AE86. You either understand, or you don't, what would make someone give up the exhilarating acceleration of one of the fastest road-legal bikes in the world for a 35 year old rusty shell, but what can I say? I've had 3 of these cars when they were only considered underpowered and quirky. Now they're underpowered and overpriced, but after having owned v8s, twinturbos and straight sixes, they're still the car that I hark back to. What follows is a photographic account of the restoration of said shell, in the hope that one day I'll find out if nostalgia is what it used to be or if it's true that you can never go back. Enjoy

• IMG_20200310_165015.jpg
    • IMG_20200310_165356.jpg
    • IMG_20200427_174235.jpg
    • IMG_20200429_164304.jpg
  2. Myles1970

Myles1970 Member

Pics above: 1. The arrival. My ex missus was good enough to let me park it in her garage for a night or so after the hassles of picking it up halfway across the country.
    2. ...it may have belonged to Fred Flintstone at one stage?!? Don't you wish sometimes people would leave things alone rather than bodge?
    3. Leading edge of off side inner wing missing...
    4. My version of a bodge.... The shell came with the remains of a front clip, some of which I have made use of. I drew the line at drilling out the osf strut tower when the steel from the leading edge of the inner wing back was all good. Interesting how many smaller panels go into the construction of a car...

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  3. Parm

Parm We Will Do Whatever It Takes

Have you got the rest of the car?

Myles1970 likes this.
  4. bricol Member

N.Yorks, UK
    Once peered though the windows of a door at M-Sport where they were assembling Focus panels around a roll cage - lots and lots of panels!

Myles1970 likes this.
  5. Myles1970

Myles1970 Member

I've got some bits... Interior minus driver/passenger seats, axle, gbox, subframe, front coilovers, driveshaft, rear bumper, doors, glass, bootlid.... Need front bumper, bonnet, front lights, diff & halfshafts, calipers, engine .... IMG_20200224_215805.jpg

stuvy and Parm like this.
  6. Myles1970

Myles1970 Member

Wheelarch bodge; IMG_20200506_215625.jpg

• IMG_20200506_215635.jpg
    stuvy and DavidS16 like this.
  7. Ruffian Member

It's a booted one also. (Always prefered that shape) the ae86 was such a jap classic.

What's the plans for it? Resto-mod or just a play car so to speak.

Always reminds me of "initial-d" movie

Myles1970 likes this.
  8. atomant48

atomant48 Member

Awesome. Lots of fun to be had there. I had a corolla gti with the little 1.6 twin cam engine. Is that the type of thing you’re thinking ? Looking forward to watching this.

Myles1970 likes this.
  9. choco

choco Member

ireland
    I sold mine a few years back and regret it every day., I through in a 20v blacktop and a tomei 2 way. It transformed the car. If I had the money id pick another one up in a heart beat. But they are crazy money now. Good luck with the project , keep the pics coming :)

stuvy and Myles1970 like this.
  10. Myles1970

Myles1970 Member

The plan is to repair/replace as much of the rusted metal as possible and to improve chassis rigidity through adding gussets and strengthening panels. I've got front height and camber adjustable struts, 8×16 rims with stretched rubber (jap style). Rear end will be either standard ae86, or ke70 axle with drums & welded diff for drifting. Undecided about a cage tho.... depends which rear end becomes available first as I imagine drifting requires one.
    Bucket seats and I'll see what I can salvage of the interior. Flared arches and Jack rabbit rear spoiler.
    All above is subject to change

11. Myles1970

Myles1970 Member

Yep, always loved the 4age engine... But I'll see what's available when I get to that point

12. Ruffian Member

Please please only put sensibly stretched rubber on it. I just think that some people take it far too far,

What about going the other way with the supercharged vvti engine from the Corolla/exige?

stuvy likes this.
  13. Myles1970

Myles1970 Member

Ruffian likes this.
  14. Bullet2012

Bullet2012 Forum Supporter

For us not so clever peeps, what car is/was it ?

15. Ruffian Member

Toyota ae86, (think it was an early Corolla) but cant be sure.

They did the hatch and the booted versions,
    Sometimes called the Levin.

Myles1970 likes this.
  16. Myles1970

Myles1970 Member

It was/is a Toyota Corolla Levin. We didn't get them, we got the GT Coupe - 3 door lift back.
    ...and no, I'm not that clever

Bullet2012 likes this.
  17. Myles1970

Myles1970 Member

IMG_20200523_180723.jpg IMG_20200523_175924.jpg

.... sorry for lack of updates, the lockdown has slowed up supplies so I've been concentrating on the rotisserie. A few more hours should have it finished so I can try out my new mig gas, it's hobbyweld 5 so apparently it's more suited to thin sheet metal

Dcal, stuvy and Springerdinger like this.
  18. Michael7788 New Member

Blacktop is a great engine

choco likes this.
Advertisements