pulsed mig vs ac tig

1. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

Bleedin' heck, times I got mine up for sale, that is almost 90% of what I paid, granted it has the pedal which I don't have but still :o

smashweld likes this.
  2. Richard.

Richard. Member

Yeah the flux core can run happily in higher active gas mixes. The off putting thing is obviously the spool price. It ain’t cheap stuff that’s for sure.
    Solid Mig 2.5% co2 is the norm.

3. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

Really? Heard bad things about them and their representatives aren’t much better. Very rude in my experience.

Don’t think you can rate a company like GYS who are 10-15 years behind everyone else. All they’ve got to do is copy technology and ideas already available.

4. Jim Davey

Jim Davey RH Davey Welding Supplies

I just picked up a 2.5 year old water cooled EWM Phoenix 355 compact on a trolley with two Binzel 501 torches for £2,250 so bargains are out there to be had.

Hood and Brad93 like this.
  5. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

For the best quality stainless welds argon/helium/co2 mixes are miles better than Argon/CO2. Add a twin pulse into the mix and it’s a different level entirely.

Richard. likes this.
  6. Tom Orrow L

Tom Orrow L Welding Supplies Direct

What've you heard bad about them? I admit that some of their reps can be a bit take them or leave them but if you get hold of the right guys (Neil Burton or Joe Irvin, they'll make any of their range sing) then you're okay.

7. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

The quality of the synergic pulse programs and the build quality have both been called into question on demo units that have been into guys I know.

Saying that my neighbour has a GYS battery charger and that is an excellent bit of kit.

8. Tom Orrow L

Tom Orrow L Welding Supplies Direct

Was that on their newer sets or was that in the old 270’s? They had some issues with those sets which is why they did away with them.

9. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

Yes but we were talking TIG on this occasion, I kind of muddied the waters by mentioning I had used it on Alu Mig.

10. Jim Davey

I’m trialling the GYS Exagon multi process mig in a local shipyard soon so it will get a good going over there. I’m yet to try the latest Neopulse 400. The 300 ran great but had arc start and stability issues so we didn’t put it in front of any of our customers but they’ve relsolved those problems in the new set so I’m looking forward to trying it myself.

11. HughF

HughF Member

Work: Dorchester, Workshop: Corfe Castle, Wife's place: Frome
    I know where there are qty 3 (2 of which are complete) fronius time synergic pulse migs on trolleys with coolers and feeders, can I get hold of the owner to do a deal, can I heck... :)

Richard. likes this.
  12. Jim Davey

Good sets those Hugh, I had one coupled to a rotator welding up 6’ diameter acoustic dampers for a tunnel in France. Made short work of them as I recall. This was a few years back now and the TIME machine was old then.

13. HughF

HughF Member

Big and power hungry for a 450a machine and heavy to shift, even though they are an inverter. Good duty cycle though, definitely designed for robot use, an operator would be hard pushed to keep up with the duty cycle available when pushing high volts.

Jim Davey likes this.
  14. Jim Davey

They came with a torch that had an aluminium heat shield on the handle and a directly water-cooled shroud. Quite a novel design really.

15. knighty Forum Supporter

hope it's ok to ask in this thread... it's months away, but I'll have a bunch of 5mm stainless steel plate to weld together...

don't care how it looks, but there's a load of tricky angled joints etc. looking for a double pulse mig since it was recommended on here

there's no hurry, so I've just been checking ebay now and again...
    (again, I don't need it for months yet)

is it worth making an offer on this?
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/332523743946

(any and all advice welcome)

16. Jim Davey

That is so much money for a set that old. They were ok new but it’s never worth that price in a million years. Keep looking, something will turn up.

17. HughF

HughF Member

There's a hitachi single pulse in south Wales for sub 500 quid, that's where my money would be going.

But I'd be more likely to buy some shield-bright dual shield stainless wire off ebay and run that in a regular mig with argoshield, it works very well.

Brad93 likes this.
  18. knighty Forum Supporter

I'll do that then!

I have a (chinese but good) inverter mig and a big old sip ideal 500 I can use

19. HughF

HughF Member

20. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

Either go down the shield bright route or outsource the welding.

Advertisements