pulsed mig vs ac tig

1. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

Where about in the central belt are you? certainly welcome to head North a bit to Arbroath and try out the Parweld any time you want.

slim_boy_fat and smashweld like this.
  2. smashweld Member

cheers Hood. I'm just outside Edinburgh. planning to order the welder asap tho so prob just buy it blind!

what I'm not wanting to do is limit the budget if spending more makes it easier/better to use, but if you and richard were happy with the Parweld it seems like a good choice

3. matt1978

matt1978 http://www.uk.masters-of-speed.de/

A lot has already been mentioned but if your maximum budget is around £1500-£2k don’t even consider a Pulse Mig, new atleast.

Maybe you can keep an eye on some factory closure auctions? I know of 6-7 year old Pulse migs that have sold for under £2k when they wouldn’t of been 2-3 times that price when new

Jim Davey likes this.
  4. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

If a Tig fits what you will be doing work wise then it also has the advantage of just needing on gas cylinder (pure Argon) where a Mig will require at least two (Pure and Argon Mix) if you are intending doing a mix of materials.

5. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

As said Tig sounds like it may be more suited to the stuff you are doing but if still thinking along Mig lines then there seem to be a few pulse Migs on eBay (from dealers) that are between £2 and £3K or best offer. One seems pretty good, a Lorch Saprom S3. It seems to come with a cooler but no mention of torches etc but might be worth a look, they may come down a bit. Having said that I have no idea if it is a reasonable price or not :D

Might also be worth checking out the likes of @Jim Davey as that is where I got mine from, maybe even @matt1978 knows of some of his going second hand that he can vouch for.

6. Tom Orrow L

Tom Orrow L Welding Supplies Direct

I’d love for someone to get a look at the Cebora Pulse MIG. That’s only around the £1400 ex VAT mark and I think it’s quite a nice little set.
    Granted it’s not going to be up there with the likes of Lorch and EWM build quality wise but still produces quality welds and ain’t shoddy.

7. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

Send it to me for the weekend and I will give it a test out :D

8. HughF

HughF Member

Work: Dorchester, Workshop: Corfe Castle, Wife's place: Frome
    The new pocket pulse or the older 1620m or whatever it was?

I’m tempted by the former... it looks a great bit of kit

9. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

Think it was the Pocket Pulse that Tom was talking about, 185Amp machine if I recall.

Tom Orrow L and HughF like this.
  10. HughF

HughF Member

Work: Dorchester, Workshop: Corfe Castle, Wife's place: Frome
    There’s a selco and a cea on eBay at the moment, both good pulse migs of the European variety (they’re portable), both were sensible money iirc.

11. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

seem to be quite a variety of second hand pulse Migs on at the moment, a lot of them seem to be from a Bulgarian company although the locations is supposedly Guildford.

12. Tom Orrow L

Tom Orrow L Welding Supplies Direct

The Pocket Pulse :)

13. smashweld Member

tbh I thought it'd be the same gas(es) needed for TIG, as is used for MIG/MAG..ie changing bottles for different materials...
    the more I think about it, it makes more sense to keep the mig with the Ferromax7 for mild steel then TIG for anything else, have got a bottle of Pureshield Argon for alu welding with the mig and spool gun (when it was working) so can use that with a TIG. I see you can use helium/argon mix but not sure how common/necessary that is

14. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

Not needed really, it can help give a hotter weld but expensive even compared to pure Argon. I used it once a long time ago for standard spray Mig with Alu but the slight benefit, for the stuff I was doing,was far outweighed by the cost so I went back to Argon.

Richard. and smashweld like this.
  15. smashweld Member

even better.!...I've had this bottle of Pureshield Argon for a few years without refill btw...full size but to gives you an idea of how little it gets used!

kinda related....dug out an old oil cooled stick welder a few weeks ago for a job...found some stainless rods to mess with...was great just changing a rod instead of changing guns/gas/wire!

16. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

Yes, stick is great, usually do all my steel/stainless with it when out and about.
    Tig tends to get used when in the workshop for thinner stuff, steel, stainless and Alu.
    Only ever use the Mig for Alu and on the very rare occasion for steel when I need to fill up a worn roller. I do have some flux core stainless that I intend to give a try out on the Mig as it is supposed to be nice to use but when I will get round to it I have no idea :D

17. smashweld Member

best laid plans! at least you got to the stage of buying the wire

the parweld 202 seems to hold it's value, only found the one but still making 70-80% of the new price on ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Parweld-...822529?hash=item1c9827b1c1:g:ZIIAAOSwRbtaDXxZ

the GYS 207 does look a bit sturdier (and fair bit more money) but it won't get moved about much, will just stay in the workshop...only thing is it's quite a dusty workshop partly due to the concrete floor but doubt that plays much of a part

18. Richard.

Richard. Member

Stainless mig is lovely especially on a double pulse unit or even better a flux core stainless wire is just awsome.
    Problem with solid wire stainless as you mentioned before it’s another bottle of gas to be kept. Mild steel gasses are too high in active gas contents.

19. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

I did stainless with the mig years ago but was fighting a losing battle as I only had pure argon. The flux core I have can run pure co2 but recommended is 15% which I now have as it can also be used if I do any steel again.

20. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

Behave yersel, buy flux core, you think I am made of money :D

slim_boy_fat and smashweld like this.
Advertisements